PDA

View Full Version : Making an epic boon for Barbarian

Foxydono
2018-05-01, 11:08 AM
I'm currently playing d&d 5e, but since we are already deep into epic levels and homebrew stuff, that doesn't really matter much. We are currently in the 5th layer of hell and we have already slain a few lesser and intermediate Gods. Our current goal now is to help Leviathus escape his ice prison by slaying Asmodeus in the 9th layer. Instead of the boon system, we gain special boosts and abilities when we have slay a God. Basically we get some of their powers in a modified form when the God is slain.

The last God we killed was Sekolah the Great Shark God. This was a really difficult battle underwater, but we managed to survive. Now I need to come up with a 'blood frenzy' ability for my character. Preferably not a straight damage boost and maybe something with a drawback, but rather not exhaustion like the frenzy barbarian as I find it rather crippling in a non-fun way. What we find fun is random rolling on tables, so if he goes into frenzy mode he gains a random benefit of some sorts, this makes combat a bit more versatile than just doing damage. Lastly, anything goes, the crazier the better. Keep in mind some Gods have like 2000+ hp and do crazy damage, so no need to hold back!

Protato
2018-05-01, 03:07 PM
If it's a Blood Frenzy, maybe it could be something that makes him take more damage in addition to a random buff. For an example, I wrote something below.

Blood Frenzy: Your raging frenzies have become the stuff of myth, and your predilection toward deicide has granted you innumerable power. When raging, you may choose to enter a Blood Frenzy. When in a Blood Frenzy, the damage you take from attacks is doubled and you have disadvantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throws. However, when entering a Blood Frenzy, you may also roll a 1d10, and receive a random benefit, as listed below.

1-2: All attacks you make are considered to be critical hits.
3-4: You gain an additional action each turn.
5-6: All attacks you make inflict the Stun condition, even if a creature is otherwise immune to being stunned. A creature is stunned until the start of your next turn.
7-8: All attacks you make restore HP equal to the amount of damage done.
9-10: You emit an aura extending 50ft. from yourself. Any creatures in your aura of your choosing have resistance to all damage. Additionally, any creatures of your choosing take doubled damage.

Kind of quickly done, but I hope this works, or at least can be adapted into something else you prefer.

Foxydono
2018-05-09, 07:52 AM
If it's a Blood Frenzy, maybe it could be something that makes him take more damage in addition to a random buff. For an example, I wrote something below.

Blood Frenzy: Your raging frenzies have become the stuff of myth, and your predilection toward deicide has granted you innumerable power. When raging, you may choose to enter a Blood Frenzy. When in a Blood Frenzy, the damage you take from attacks is doubled and you have disadvantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throws. However, when entering a Blood Frenzy, you may also roll a 1d10, and receive a random benefit, as listed below.

1-2: All attacks you make are considered to be critical hits.
3-4: You gain an additional action each turn.
5-6: All attacks you make inflict the Stun condition, even if a creature is otherwise immune to being stunned. A creature is stunned until the start of your next turn.
7-8: All attacks you make restore HP equal to the amount of damage done.
9-10: You emit an aura extending 50ft. from yourself. Any creatures in your aura of your choosing have resistance to all damage. Additionally, any creatures of your choosing take doubled damage.

Kind of quickly done, but I hope this works, or at least can be adapted into something else you prefer.

Sorry for the late reply! I was able to use some of your ideas. I incorporated the critical hits and the hits points regen for half the damage done. I made 5 stages that you can reach by doing a certain amount of damage each round going up each time. If you fail to do the damage you get psychic damage equal to the damage you were supposed to do to reach the next round. Which can be hurt quite a bit :)