PDA

View Full Version : Shark Totem Barbarian (5e D&D)

Ralanr
2018-05-01, 11:11 AM
A thread in the 5e subforum gave me an idea for a new totem for the totem warrior subclass. Introducing, the Shark Totem.

Level 3: when you are raging, you may use your bonus action to move up to half your speed towards an enemy below full health. The smell of blood alerts the shark of new prey.

Level 6: you gain double your land speed as swim speed and you can breath underwater.

(I may remove the double part).

Level 14: enemies below full health (or below half health) give you an increased crit range against them. Attacks against these targets crit between 18 and 20.

Thoughts? I feel that the last one might be too strong but I wasn’t sure what to put in.

Lalliman
2018-05-01, 12:34 PM
I don't have a lot of time, but at first sight:

The 3rd level feature is too weak. Compare eagle totem, which is better in every way. This one should be powerful and playstyle-defining.

The double speed on the 6th level one is indeed pretty crazy. You'll be swimming around at 80 feet per round, about five times the swimming speed of other people. (And faster than an actual shark, which has 40 ft swimming speed.) Just make it swimming speed equal to movement speed and it'll be good.

The 14th level feature definitely isn't too strong. This feature has to be powerful; compare the ~50% damage boost from the berserker's retaliation. I think it can afford to be "below full HP", though it should probably be "while raging".