PDA

View Full Version : Is there interest in custom steel deck boxes?

bitesizepancake
2018-05-01, 12:11 PM
Me and a friend are trying to see if there's a big enough interest in these and someone told us we should ask here, I didn't know about this site till now so I cant post links or images or anything but I'd really appreciate anyone who'd check it out, we're on kickstarter if you just search steel deck boxes.

Disclaimer: I know advertisement is against the rules but this is a handmade original design and we are just trying to see if there's enough interest in this

JeenLeen
2018-05-01, 02:27 PM
I had to find the kickstarter to know what you meant (e.g., boxes to hold a deck of cards, such as for Magic: the Gathering); I thought it was something for a deck, that is, like a backyard patio, at first reading.

I think there'd be a demand. I'd be interested if I was still playing Yugioh, though I'd want to see it in person to get a good idea of weight, how well it closes, and other traits. The fact that it's presumably sturdier than a plastic deckbox is desirable. Since it's not really on my radar, I can't say whether the coolness/utility of it would make it worth the cost above a plastic deckbox.

But I think you'd at least have a niche market in that hobby crowd.

This Kickstarter is y'all, right? (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703404672/custom-made-steel-deck-boxes-for-magic-the-gatheri)
While it looks cool -- I just skimmed it -- I wouldn't be willing to pay $30 for a box, as your lowest donation tier is.
Also, from a little I've read on Kickstarters, I recommend putting a $1 "thank you" tier. It seems that it helps.

bitesizepancake
2018-05-01, 03:50 PM
Sorry I guess I should've specified it's for magic: the gathering. Thanks for the input, the reason they cost 30 is because working with steel is not an easy task, but the bonus is the added protection and durability, and also I'd say the appearance. The steel we use is 14 Guage and they weigh roughly a pound

JeenLeen
2018-05-01, 04:35 PM
Sorry I guess I should've specified it's for magic: the gathering. Thanks for the input, the reason they cost 30 is because working with steel is not an easy task, but the bonus is the added protection and durability, and also I'd say the appearance. The steel we use is 14 Guage and they weigh roughly a pound

I agree that the price seems reasonable for the cost (including time) of producing the box. And a 1-lb deckbox sounds pretty awesome to me. I think I would've bought one for 15 or 20 bucks back when I was gaming rather seriously, at least if I didn't currently have a card costing the equivalent amount competing for my funds.

I wish you luck. It sounds like a cool concept, but I worry that, for the price, you'll be limited to a subset of a subset (card hobbyist + think deckbox is cool + willing to pay for it). I think the first two groups are sizable, but the 'willing to pay for it' is the weak point.

bitesizepancake
2018-05-01, 04:43 PM
I agree that the price seems reasonable for the cost (including time) of producing the box. And a 1-lb deckbox sounds pretty awesome to me. I think I would've bought one for 15 or 20 bucks back when I was gaming rather seriously, at least if I didn't currently have a card costing the equivalent amount competing for my funds.

I wish you luck. It sounds like a cool concept, but I worry that, for the price, you'll be limited to a subset of a subset (card hobbyist + think deckbox is cool + willing to pay for it). I think the first two groups are sizable, but the 'willing to pay for it' is the weak point.

Yes I worry about that too and im not sure there's much that can be done about that, I appreciate the feedback though and the suggestions

Scarlet Knight
2018-05-01, 06:05 PM
I would not buy this for myself for the price. But I might as a gift for someone else if I have a $30 price range.

Remmirath
2018-05-05, 11:58 PM
Custom boxes, yes, surely. I'm not sure about steel. It seems as though it would be overkill in terms of strength, and could prove difficult/annoying to transport if travelling (setting off metal detectors and the like). I'm not sure whether the potential travel concerns would be a big thing for most people though, and the more I think about the more I expect they wouldn't be.

Still, judging by that link, they do look neat, and the price looks reasonable for custom steel. I wouldn't feel that I go out and play Magic with enough people often enough to justify it, but if I did, it is something I would consider. Good luck!

Sivarias
2018-05-06, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't kickstarter this. I would put it up on etsy and let people custom order. That would net you the most sales and let you do it in your spare time. As business picks up make a website. Add other options. Airbrushing etc.

That being said. It seems cool, I'd be interested in ordering one or two later.