PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most effective caster with only 2nd level spells

clash
2018-05-01, 12:25 PM
Just for fun what is the most effective caster you can make that doesnt know any spells above 2nd level. It could still have full spellcasting slots, it can even be single classed, it just cant know/prepare any spells above 2nd level. What do you got?

sithlordnergal
2018-05-01, 01:37 PM
Only second level spells? I am gonna say Wizard is probably the most effective caster with these rules. Specifically the Divination Wizard. From what I have seen, Wizards/Sorcerers have the most effective second level spells, and wizards get a lot more spells then a Sorcerer.

Spells like Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Flaming Sphere, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands, Tenser's Floating Disk, ect. are all very handy spells to have. And since you can only have 2nd level spells, your spell book is going to have tons of options for nearly any occasion.

nickl_2000
2018-05-01, 01:44 PM
I'm guessing this is going to break the rules, but I think the most effective casters that can only use 2nd level spells is going to be either the EK or the AT. They have a lot more available to them other than casting compared to all other classes.

As for full casters Wizards would be a good choice just due to their overall spell choice. You should be able to get all wizard level 1 and level 2 spells pretty easily by the high levels. Plus you have things like Magic Missile which can be upcast all the way to ninth level if you want to.

Clerics would also be a solid choice, since Bless and Healing Word will remain helpful for the entirety of the game.

Potato_Priest
2018-05-01, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing this is going to break the rules, but I think the most effective casters that can only use 2nd level spells is going to be either the EK or the AT. They have a lot more available to them other than casting compared to all other classes.

As for full casters Wizards would be a good choice just due to their overall spell choice. You should be able to get all wizard level 1 and level 2 spells pretty easily by the high levels. Plus you have things like Magic Missile which can be upcast all the way to ninth level if you want to.

Clerics would also be a solid choice, since Bless and Healing Word will remain helpful for the entirety of the game.

Clerics and druids are really very good choices. Both get access to some really good stuff at 2nd level, such as zone of truth, prayer of healing, spiritual weapon, spike growth, pass without trace, silence, enhance ability, moonbeam, and *shudder* healing spirit. Spiritual weapon and moonbeam are both noticeably good spells to cast with higher level slots as well.

clash
2018-05-01, 02:06 PM
I agree something like Cleric/Druid multiclass could be extremely effective. Healing spirit + life cleric...

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-01, 02:09 PM
Warlock 3 for access to agonizing eldritch blast and additional rituals combined with paladin levels, I think.

Nifft
2018-05-01, 02:52 PM
Paladin 8 / Warlock 4 / Cleric 4 / Druid 4

Probably not in that order, though.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-01, 02:56 PM
Druid 3/Cleric 3/lore Bard 14
Full spell slots access to all cleric and druid spells for that level. You also have 6 spells from any list.

Divine soul Sorcerer 10/lore bard 10
You'll have a lot less spells known but you'll have metamagic, and a single casting stat.

KorvinStarmast
2018-05-01, 03:00 PM
Just for fun what is the most effective caster you can make that doesnt know any spells above 2nd level. It could still have full spellcasting slots, it can even be single classed, it just cant know/prepare any spells above 2nd level. What do you got? Are you talking at level 20?
What lever is the character going to be.

At level 18, wizard gets unlimited 2d level spell and 1st level spell, pick one each.
Shatter?
Magic Missile?
Sleep?
Levitate?

What's your objective?
Or, something like
Paladin 5
Wizard 4
Druid 4
Cleric 4
Warlock 3

EB all day long if ranged, plenty of level 1 and 2 spells for divine smite and two attacks per round. With two short rests, another three 2d level spells from Warlock.

Kyrinthic
2018-05-01, 03:29 PM
Well, you are probably looking to multiclass then.
You should endeavor to tag each major spell list for utility, so 4 levels each of Wizard/Cleric/Druid. Then grab level 4 warlock so you have 2 extra level 2 spells every short rest as well.

On the other hand, if the only constraint is to just use level 2 slots, but be able to cast higher ones, full caster can work. A wizard that just throws around level 2 spells can be real solid, though a divine multiclass may still be worth it.

Any way you cut it, you will not be as effective as players with higher level spells, or even non-casters at higher levels. You could probably make a case if you only used level 3 or less slots, but some important utility and power is given at level 3 that you just miss out on with level 2 spells.

RSP
2018-05-01, 05:47 PM
A melee-focused Bladesinger using Shadow Blade would still have a lot of its base usefulness as SB scales very well with multiattack, and those higher slots can still be used to absorb damage when needed.

I feel this would feel the impact of no 3+ level spells significantly less than other subclasses.

Brawnspear
2018-05-01, 06:07 PM
For ways to continually be useful, either by messing with enemies or buffing friends, my vote is for Paladin-Bard combo. 6 Conquest Paladin and 14 Lore bard. Nets you 20 bard spells, 6 of which can pull from anywhere (Healing Spirit, Spike Growth, Shadowblade for your 2 attacks, etc), 8 rotating paladin spells per day (Upcast Aid for great hp advantage, bless, Shield of faith for AC, Find Steed, Divine Favor, lesser restoration) and most deliciously, the oath spells from Conquest. These include armor of agathys and spiritual weapon, not to mention hold person!

But that's not all, you get access to Aid, AoA, Spiritual Weapon and spiritiual weapon. All spells that benefit from an upcast, and none of them concentration. Throw Blindness/Deafness from Bard into the mix, and you have a bunch of people who can't see while you still have a concentration slot available for bless, or shadowblade for maximum murder.

Pick up thunderwave/shatter if you are feeling blasty.

Those 17 levels of spell slots weighing you down? Smite for the world with your 2 attacks!

Plus full charisma to auras and a unified casting stat, with heavy armor and a d10 inspiration die that can be further used to screw with your enemy.

Survivable, helpful, and maddening to the enemy, with the ability to bring the pain when needed.

Citan
2018-05-02, 04:06 AM
Just for fun what is the most effective caster you can make that doesnt know any spells above 2nd level. It could still have full spellcasting slots, it can even be single classed, it just cant know/prepare any spells above 2nd level. What do you got?
If you have a very permissive/generous DM, probably Wizard.
Otherwise, Druid then Cleric.

Since you cannot make a "caster with only 2nd level spells" without multiclassing (even 3rd casters get 3th and 4th eventually), I'd say your best bet is...
Shepherd (if party would get often use for the STR enhancing aura) or Land (all other cases) Druid 3 + Life/Tempest/Knowledge Cleric 3 (depending on your role in party) + Sorcerer 3 (metamagics!) then whatever you want (a EK 11 or AT 11 would be my personal choice ;)).

Or a multiclass gish mixing Cleric, Shadow Monk and either EK or AT.

If you were instead talking of a caster that could technically learn higher spells but plan on using only 2nd level ones whatever happens, then Wizard is by far the best choice since you can learn 2 more spells each level and you can get powerful boons in a school. Coming close behind is Bard thanks to all Bardic Inspiration and Expertise. Sorcerer comes behind because even though metamagics are great, 2nd level offensive spells are not "powerful enough" to my taste. Divine Sorcerer is the exception reaching close to Bard, because access to Cleric 2nd level spells.

Warlock would be great only once you got past level 10 because very few available spells upcast well (not taking patron spells into account, that can change things), so it's more the patron features and invocations that make your day, so it's a coin toss.
And only if you "accept it", because technically he's force-fed high-level spells.

Cleric, Druid (and Paladin) would be out because prepared casters.

Ranger, although not technically a caster, would be the best gish here because he gets many spells that can be upcast great or are plain good any day (Healing Spirit, Hunter's Mark, Pass Without Trace, Silence, Spike Growth) and decent enough fuel.

AT and EK are great martials, but their slow progression make them irrelevant to your question imo.

Potato_Priest
2018-05-02, 10:48 AM
Cleric, Druid (and Paladin) would be out because prepared casters.

Why would being a prepared caster be disadvantageous in this situation? They don't have to prepare higher level spells, you know.