PDA

View Full Version : Bladelock question

Whit
2018-05-01, 01:51 PM
First time playing one
Does cursed bringer (ua) work in conjunction with improved pact weapon(xan)?

nickl_2000
2018-05-01, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't allow it simply because there is a published version of the subclass that has replaced the UA version. Curse Bringer was written to go with the UA and WotC decided it was unbalanced and didn't bring it along into Xanathar's on purpose.

However, if it were allowed at the table, I don't see any reason why they both couldn't work together. This really is a DM question since you dealing with non-published material

Whit
2018-05-01, 01:58 PM
Thanks for info. Any idea on hexblade patrons

nickl_2000
2018-05-01, 02:00 PM
Thanks for info. Any idea on hexblade patrons

A Hexblade is a patron you take at level 1.

Then you have a choice of the pact (Blade, Chain, or Tome) at level 3.

Vogie
2018-05-01, 03:37 PM
Basically, Cursebringer and the other patron-specific weapon invocations were rolled into RAW as Eldritch Smite (XGtE).

If you wanted to use it I'd make sure you use it as written - The cool thing about ES is that it can be used with any pact weapon, allowing you to knock targets prone with a bow, polearm, dagger, et cetera, as well as impacting with force damage. Cursebringer, however, specifically calls out using a greatsword that deals slashing damage. Thus, you'd need an action to switch your pact weapon from whatever you were using to the Cursebringer blade to activate the abilities granted in the invocation.