PDA

View Full Version : To triple class or not

samuraijaques
2018-05-01, 04:41 PM
Sup folks,

During our last session we TPK'd while fighting astupid beholder in his stupid lair with his stupid mage friend and his stupid eyeball staff. Anyway, DM is letting us roll new characters at the same level so we can continue the campaign. We're roleplaying it off as having been slaves of the eye tyrant. I'm going paladin 2/sorcerer 8 but the thought occurred to me that I could take a level of hexblade warlock and be basically SAD and also get the sweet sweet short rest spell slots that work so well with sorcerer and paladin. If i take it now I'd be paladin 2/warlock 1/sorcerer 7 which means i'd be losing out on an ASI to start with. Maybe I should take it at 11? Is it worth it?

Snowbluff
2018-05-01, 04:56 PM
You'll still need 15 Str for armor and want a high con score in addition to Cha. However, depending on your level and point buy, being sad might have no value at all.

Laserlight
2018-05-01, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't triple. Your spell level is already behind your character level, you don't need to make it worse; and it's not like paladin 2 / sorc X is going to be underpowered.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-01, 06:38 PM
One level in hexblade is massive power boost effectively giving you +4 to str or cha (whichever you wouldn’t max first).

It is definitely worth it.

Matrix_Walker
2018-05-01, 07:07 PM
Hexblade for SAD happiness is a harmonious build buddy.

JeffreyGator
2018-05-01, 07:09 PM
Could you take 3 hexblade/7 sorcerer without the paladin?

To eliminate MADNESS you can dump str for half-plate and shield. This gives you level 2 warlock slots and warlock vs paladin smites and possibly your +1 weapon from the air.

samuraijaques
2018-05-01, 08:27 PM
You'll still need 15 Str for armor and want a high con score in addition to Cha. However, depending on your level and point buy, being sad might have no value at all.
I actually don't have/want heavy armor. I went sorcerer for my first level for con save proficiency. And yeah obviously I will still be benefiting from other ability scores. It's not like I'm gonna have 20 Cha and 8s in everything else.

I wouldn't triple. Your spell level is already behind your character level, you don't need to make it worse; and it's not like paladin 2 / sorc X is going to be underpowered.
Yeah but since we're starting so high i get to start with 4th level spells known. Which gives me basically all of the really great twinnable buffs and fireball which is arguably the best blasting spell in the game.

One level in hexblade is massive power boost effectively giving you +4 to str or cha (whichever you wouldn’t max first).

It is definitely worth it.
This was my thought.

Hexblade for SAD happiness is a harmonious build buddy.
It definitely seems that way

Could you take 3 hexblade/7 sorcerer without the paladin?

To eliminate MADNESS you can dump str for half-plate and shield. This gives you level 2 warlock slots and warlock vs paladin smites and possibly your +1 weapon from the air.
The problem with this is you don't get warlock smites until 5th level and even then you can only use warlock spell slots for them. It's a huge drop in power to not take paladin

Citan
2018-05-02, 04:53 AM
Sup folks,

During our last session we TPK'd while fighting astupid beholder in his stupid lair with his stupid mage friend and his stupid eyeball staff. Anyway, DM is letting us roll new characters at the same level so we can continue the campaign. We're roleplaying it off as having been slaves of the eye tyrant. I'm going paladin 2/sorcerer 8 but the thought occurred to me that I could take a level of hexblade warlock and be basically SAD and also get the sweet sweet short rest spell slots that work so well with sorcerer and paladin. If i take it now I'd be paladin 2/warlock 1/sorcerer 7 which means i'd be losing out on an ASI to start with. Maybe I should take it at 11? Is it worth it?
It's completely worth it as long as you know what you get it for. As for later, although this may seem overkill, I'd suggest Devotion Paladin.

It would actually be a waste to put more than 13, maybe 14 in STR. XD
However, I would question whether it's in OP mind to pursue Warlock further or stop at 3, and what he had in mind otherwise for Paladin archetype, Sorcerer archetype, and main objective.
Depending on that, Warlock may be range from "shut up and take it right now" to "meh, could do without it just fine".