PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Storm Kings Thunder Ending

Thelownlycheese
2018-05-01, 05:22 PM
I have a question about the ending in storm kings thunder. Note this post contains SPOILERS so stop reading if you are playing Storm king.
-----SPOILERS-----
At the end of the adventure the players go with the storm giants to fight the blue dragon. After winning the giants thank them and there's nothing more to the story. The book says that it's up to the dm if the giant god restores the ordering or not. My question is how do you people handle this? Should I just end the story with this loose thread? It makes no since that the giant Lords would calm down even if the ordering was restored. Any advice would be useful on how to handle this. I was thinking mabye Amn Ra would call all the giants together and have them fight for the ordering? And have the players there fighting for any side or what not. I want to make it epic in any way I can, but I have to wrap up the story and not make it feel fake. Thanks for the help!

Unoriginal
2018-05-01, 06:17 PM
I have a question about the ending in storm kings thunder. Note this post contains SPOILERS so stop reading if you are playing Storm king.
-----SPOILERS-----
At the end of the adventure the players go with the storm giants to fight the blue dragon. After winning the giants thank them and there's nothing more to the story. The book says that it's up to the dm if the giant god restores the ordering or not. My question is how do you people handle this? Should I just end the story with this loose thread? It makes no since that the giant Lords would calm down even if the ordering was restored. Any advice would be useful on how to handle this. I was thinking mabye Amn Ra would call all the giants together and have them fight for the ordering? And have the players there fighting for any side or what not. I want to make it epic in any way I can, but I have to wrap up the story and not make it feel fake. Thanks for the help!

If the Ordening is restored, the Giant Lords will absolutely calm down. It's part of the perks of god powers.

The epic part of the ending is the final fight with the dragon. The rest is the anticlimax/return to calm/epilogue.

Personally, I would end it with one of the giant lords asking the PCs if they're interested in helping them recover X thing, and end the campaign there.

Temperjoke
2018-05-01, 07:16 PM
-----SPOILERS-----

You have to bear in mind, the Ordening is imposed by the Giant Gods, which is why they abide by it. The Giants all expect it to be restored at some point when the giants as a collective whole prove themselves. The reason they are "acting out" is because they hope to improve their placement in the Ordening when it's restored.

Now, this particular campaign may be resolved, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the Ordening is restored, just that this particular series of events has resolved itself. The book leaves it open ended on purpose for the DM. For example, maybe the DM wants to have a source to draw on for side quests for future campaigns? Having the party come across a giant who's attempting some grand plan can make a nice side trip, and since the players already understand what put the giant into motion, it can save on backstory and development.

On the other hand, if the DM never plans on working with giants so closely again in his campaign, he can tie it off neatly if he chooses.

I don't think their gods would summon all the giants together to "fight it out" given that the various clans all value different things do to their particular patron god's influence.

JeffreyGator
2018-05-01, 07:28 PM
My group was very tired of the railroad running through their sandbox at this point and so didn't care much.

However, by that point two of the giant lords (hill and stone) were dead and their stuff looted. The heirs of other lords were dead. Hekaton was back in power and he was instrumental in the defeat of the blue dragon probably as much or more so than the PCs with 4 giants and the potions.

So even with the oracle entrance collapsed in rubble the primary bit of the ordening with the storm giant's on top was back in place - and they have the ability to enforce it on their own.

From a medium/small people POV, no one cares about the ordening, they care that the storm giants will do their job of keeping the other giants in line and not devastating everything. That mission is accomplished.

Thelownlycheese
2018-05-02, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice.