PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do With This Character?

Wampyr
2018-05-01, 06:10 PM
My two party members are a Half-Orc Druid (He’s going for the onion build) and a Wood Elf Rogue (He’s probably going with assassin).

My character is a Tiefling fighter, Level 2. His stats are something like:

10 STR
16 DEX
14 CON
12 WIS
10 INT
16 CHA

I have the Dueling Fighting Style and I use a rapier and a shortbow. I’m kind of lost as to what I should do.

My DM allows the rebuild option from AL, but only once, and I already used it because I used to play a druid and the current druid player wanted to play druid so I went fighter and he went druid. Then our Mystic switched to Rogue and his stats are 8 16 12 14 9 16 and he uses two daggers and a shortbow. So I need some way to change via multiclassing.

Lacking a caster and given my stats, I could go Bladelock, but then we still have 3 melée characters, so maybe I could go with a different type of warlock.

My other two considerations are Bard and Sorcerer, Bard mainly for the utility which our party lacks, and Sorcerer because it’s just a fun class (plus I could get some good mileage out of Draconic Resillience)

I could also try to convince my DM to let me change characters again, in which case I’d probably go with a wizard.

So what should I do with my current character?

And if my DM lets me change characters again, what would fit the party best?

P.S. If I seem too concerned with party balance, it’s because my DM runs really challenging and brutal campaigns.

Scyrner
2018-05-01, 07:07 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not really sure what the question is. Is it that you wish to multiclass and are searching for advice? If that's the case, then I'd like to know why you're thinking of multiclassing.

Normally, my response to "what should I do with this character would be "play it."

Wampyr
2018-05-01, 07:35 PM
In short, my question was how to make a 2nd level fighter into a caster.

utopus
2018-05-01, 07:43 PM
I'd recommend a CHA based caster due it already being a high stat. Moving forward, you could go for Bard, sorcerer or warlock and suffer minimal consequences aside from an impaired spellcasting progression.

Hexblade warlock and valor Bard both make fairly effective gishes, and all classes benefit well from a fighter 2 dip because of the proficiency in con saves and action surge

Matrix_Walker
2018-05-01, 07:59 PM
Clearly, you'll want a charisma caster.

If you want to concentrate on utility and support, Bard is your buddy.

If your group gets plenty of short rests as a matter of course, that certainly makes Warlock more attractive.

But for my preference, a sorcerer can really pack the action economy, an extra fun option when combined with action surge. Quickened Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade is a great use of a bonus action! If you are going wild sorcerer, it can come in quite handy to be in heavier armor and up closer to your opponents.

sophontteks
2018-05-01, 08:05 PM
Battlemaster fighter + Sword bard?

poolio
2018-05-01, 08:27 PM
If you're planning on just going full caster starting now, then i would probably go dragon sorcerer, like others have said, sorcerer action economy is crazy, but I've never been all that fond of multiclassing unless it's the only way to make a character concept actually work, for a fighter with a more arcane feel, I'd say just stick with fighter and go eldritch knight, picking up the ritual caster feat will add a ton of utility while not weakening your martial prowess, and fighters have plenty feats to spare.

CTurbo
2018-05-01, 10:34 PM
Why not just stick with Fighter? You have plenty of great subclasses to choose from and 2 extra feats/ASIs. When you made this character, why were you envisioning and why have you abandoned that?

Rogue Swashbuckler would be really fun. It really depends on what you are wanting to do.

If you really want to become a full caster, I think Favored Soul Sorcerer would be best for your party since you would be like a pseudo Paladin.

Petrocorus
2018-05-02, 03:13 PM
I would first go up to level 3 or 4 of Fighter to become an EK and for the ASI.
EK will give you the weapon bonding feature, 2 cantrips, and 3 spells. Choose spells that don't care for your Int, like Shield, Absord Element, and Expeditious Retreat.

Then i would go Warlock. Hexblade and Blade Pact are not really best suited for you because you already have your stats and you can do more damage with BB/GFB than with 2 rapier attack (that would come online later anyway).

You can go Chain, but since you lack an Arcane caster, i would rather go Tome, for 3 more cantrips (7 total from 3 spell lists at this point) and all the ritual casting you want.

Fiend Patron is probably better because of the Temp HP (i guess you still encounter a lot of CR 1/2 at your level). Or Fey if you really care about Faerie Fire.

So, Invocations should be Devil's Sight and Ancient Secret and maybe Eldritch Sight or Fiendish Vigor (if you don't go Fiend Patron).

Sorcerer is not that good for utilities given the number of spell known and lack of skills, and Draconic Resilience is not better than Warlock HP and light/medium armor. The action economy is crazy however, as others have said, it is good for gishing.

Lore Bard also has a less limited number of spell known, it has better skills, but given that your Rogue already has skills and i guess you managed to get at least one Charisma skill as an half-elf, you probably better going for the arcane utilities with Ancient Secrets.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-05-04, 01:56 AM
Go full Hexblade from now on.