PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Alchemyst RPG

LairdOfThunder
2018-05-01, 06:24 PM
Doing a re-read of Michael Scott's "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series, and thought it would make a great home brew game. Has anyone seen this somewhere else already, or have thoughts on building the mechanics?

I was thinking the magic system would work similar to Mage the Awakening, with spheres of magic allowing ad hoc uses alongside known spells. Also, would probably have magic use inflict subdual damage, to reflect the physical drain on the aura/user described in the books.

Any other ideas?

gkathellar
2018-05-02, 12:32 PM
Take a look at Ars Magica - it plays medieval European mythology 100% straight, and features mages who approach magic as a rational, scientific discipline.

Nifft
2018-05-02, 08:41 PM
I was thinking the magic system would work similar to Mage the Awakening, with spheres of magic allowing ad hoc uses alongside known spells. Also, would probably have magic use inflict subdual damage, to reflect the physical drain on the aura/user described in the books.

That sounds like a workable system.

Anything in particular about M:tA magic which you don't like?

JBPuffin
2018-05-02, 09:14 PM
My vote would be for FATE, honestly; the fluidity of magic in the setting seems very much like an application of Aspects, and taking Stress from over-exerting yourself casting lines up with the mechanics in-story. Another option would be to use Cortex Plus - not sure what kind of traits you'd want specifically, but it could definitely work.

LairdOfThunder
2018-05-04, 05:29 PM
That sounds like a workable system.

Anything in particular about M:tA magic which you don't like?

Nothing really that I didn't like, and figured I could use M:tA and then build out the in-story universe within that setting. I was curious though as to whether anyone out there knew of another system which might be an even better fit. I'm really only familiar with D&D and the big name White Wolf games.

LairdOfThunder
2018-05-04, 05:34 PM
My vote would be for FATE, honestly; the fluidity of magic in the setting seems very much like an application of Aspects, and taking Stress from over-exerting yourself casting lines up with the mechanics in-story. Another option would be to use Cortex Plus - not sure what kind of traits you'd want specifically, but it could definitely work.

Thanks! I'll have to take a look into both of those.

Skimmed the FATE Wikipedia entry, and saw that the Dresden Files game is based on FATE 3rd Edition. Funny enough, a friend of mine just started playing in a Dresden campaign. When he was describing the system to me the day before last, I was thinking that it sounded like a good fit for what I wanted.

Nifft
2018-05-04, 07:07 PM
Thanks! I'll have to take a look into both of those.

Skimmed the FATE Wikipedia entry, and saw that the Dresden Files game is based on FATE 3rd Edition. Funny enough, a friend of mine just started playing in a Dresden campaign. When he was describing the system to me the day before last, I was thinking that it sounded like a good fit for what I wanted.

FATE can be good, and the Dresden Files RPG in specific is absolutely great. It's also got a magic system which you could rip off.

Some FATE spin-offs are not as good -- personally I'd ignore Legends of Anglairre, it gave my group a very bad impression of FATE.

One thing to note about FATE is that all perks & tactics & insight are equal. If anything applies, then you can pay a point to get +2 to anything. This means tactical play is impossible -- feeling spiritually motivated is exactly equivalent to ducking behind a stone wall. If that works for you, then FATE is incredibly good. If that's unsatisfying, then you may want to steal the good bits (Aspects, zero-centered rolling, session-zero group setting generation, stress track, consequences) and place them over a more tactical system.