PDA

View Full Version : paradoxical Items

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-01, 07:42 PM
We are going to be fighting some very dangerous foes and i wanted to get an item for me made that would be defense and supportive at the same time. But i noticed it was kinda a paradox.

A Greater Blurring Ring of mind blank and true seeing.

Would the fact 1 counters the other which counter the other matter? or since im recieving the benift of them it doesnt have any issues?

Epic Game. High 30s fighting demigods.

I got 11mil to burn. So Cost isnt a issue.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-01, 08:41 PM
Since you're talking custom gear, that'd ultimately be up to your DM. That said, I'd allow it. There's nothing in the rules that stops you from having both effects at the same time or placing them on the same item for custom gear.

I get that they're thematically opposed but that doesn't really mean much.

Covenant12
2018-05-01, 11:14 PM
There are official 3.5 continuous items of mind blank and true seeing. I'd use those costs, likely with the +50% for additional effects in same slot. Is greater blur displacement? I'd be looking at a greater blink magic item (spell compendium) over that, myself.

This won't be free, but it will be under 500k worst case scenario. It is custom, but quite reasonable at level 30.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-02, 12:53 AM
Thats the thing. Cost doesnt mean anything to me and Dm has stated any items you have you would of made/created/bought/sought or otherwise have due to our "evil" ways and power seeking wants.

Im just tyring to protect/secure my pcs abililty to live lol

Covenant12
2018-05-02, 02:08 AM
Level 30 is starting to be another realm, though. Early 20's damage is meaningless, save-or-die rules everything. Or ideally no save just suck, or no save/die, save/suck abilities.

By level 30 everything starts to be immune to everything but damage, ideally typeless damage. (tornado blast if psionic) Mind blank and true seeing are mandatory, not interesting frills. Blur/displacement is ignored by true seeing that everyone has, greater blink can dodge non-force effects completely, which has value. Seriously, universal energy immunity is affordable at that wealth level, or a caster with extend spell may be able to cover it with slots. Casters with multiple multispell feats are playing a deranged game of nova rocket-launcher tag, going first may be the only action(s) that matter. The game is being immune to as much as possible, while taking out equal-CR opponents in one action. Also always going first. Foresight, celerity, contingencies/craft contingent spell. Improved initiative, hummingbird familiar, the initiative trait I can't recall, max Dex.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-02, 02:20 AM
Thats why i want the ring to give me mind blank and true sight. Since It would prevent others from using true sight on me and allow me to use mine on them. Since Mindblank technically negates true sight.

Im trying to double down and double dip. lol

frogglesmash
2018-05-02, 03:10 AM
How does mind blank negate true sight?

Necroticplague
2018-05-02, 06:01 AM

Some people interpret

This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects.
as

This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well divination spells or effects.
Since all divination spells give information. After all, what your true form actually is, is information gathered by a divination (true seeing being a divination.

I disagree with this interpretation, because True Seeing doesn't directly provide information, being more similar to buff spell than an information-gathering one, but I see where they come from.

heavyfuel
2018-05-02, 06:11 AM
I don't think that's a problem. You're explicitly able to have a +1 Flaming Frost weapon, which is kinda of paradoxical. But yeah, it's up to your DM.

I think he's talking about True Sight negating Blur.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-02, 07:38 AM
I don't think that's a problem. You're explicitly able to have a +1 Flaming Frost weapon, which is kinda of paradoxical. But yeah, it's up to your DM.

I think he's talking about True Sight negating Blur.

I was infact talking about Blur and true sight as I dont beleive in the true sight vs mindblank

Vaern
2018-05-02, 08:45 AM
True sight would allow you to see yourself exactly as you are, but would not prevent others from seeing you as a [greater] blur.