PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting players for 3.5, how do you do it?

Raynorhere
2018-05-01, 09:14 PM
I wrote my other thread in righteous anger regarding being unable to find 3.5 players on roll20. I think my anger is justified. There's barely a page of Looking for Group roll20 page for 3.5, and 3.5 listings I put up go a week without an interested person. Edition 5 has pages and pages of LFG on roll20, and I get 20 people wanting to join in a day when I put up a listing there. This is very discouraging, and I don't live in an area that has easy access to a tabletop gaming shop.

Where exactly do you guys find high quality 3.5 players? :smallconfused: (I've already tried asking around in RL, and no, I'm not interested in tricking 5e players into 3.5)

gooddragon1
2018-05-01, 09:17 PM
I wrote my other thread in righteous anger regarding being unable to find 3.5 players on roll20. I think my anger is justified. There's barely a page of Looking for Group roll20 page for 3.5, and 3.5 listings I put up go a week without an interested person. Edition 5 has pages and pages of LFG on roll20, and I get 20 people wanting to join in a day when I put up a listing there. This is very discouraging, and I don't live in an area that has easy access to a tabletop gaming shop.

Where exactly do you guys find high quality 3.5 players? :smallconfused: (I've already tried asking around in RL, and no, I'm not interested in tricking 5e players into 3.5)

Finding Players (Recruitment) Giantitp forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment))

This is usually play by post though.

r2d2go
2018-05-01, 09:25 PM
Yeah unfortunately there's only so many players that exist, and a lot of people prefer 5e. I'd try putting up a campaign concept in the forums here, and then see who is willing to do it via roll20 once you've drummed up some interest.

Elkad
2018-05-01, 09:37 PM
There are 47 free + 8 paid 3.5 games recruiting right now.

Sure, there are 450 5e games (plus another 150 paid), but I'd hardly call that none. 10% of what the current hyped system is drawing for a 20yr old version seems pretty good.

I know when I go looking for a 3.5 or PF game, there seem to be plenty to choose from. Enough I can afford to be picky about what I join, even with my limited timeslot (just saturdays).

I'm in both a 3.5 and PF game on roll20 currently.

And there are other platforms. Maptool, fantasygrounds, etc.

Deophaun
2018-05-01, 09:40 PM
Having a windowless van and lots of duck tape helps.

Dawgmoah
2018-05-02, 03:21 PM
I run 4 3.5 games a week on Roll20. Most of the (new) players are friends of friends or some such. I haven't advertised for a vacancy in a game in over a year. Had a group of people looking for a 5th edition game once want to play "a few" games of 3.5 to get a "feel for it." That game is now going on two and a half years.

People come and go all the time though. Internet gaming in general is a lot less stable than the old IRL table of friends paradigm.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-02, 03:43 PM
I was looking for games with friends on roll20 but non of them ever started.

In the end I became the DM.

Mike Miller
2018-05-02, 05:57 PM
I used Reddit and roll20 to start my two groups

Endarire
2018-05-03, 04:44 AM
Raynorhere: Check your GiantITP private messages for my contact info. Email me at the provided address.

Thankee!