PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mechanist Original Class, input desired.

NikolaTesla
2018-05-01, 09:34 PM
This class is still incomplete, comments and suggestions (particularly as to more modifications to be included) are welcome!

Mechanist

Mechanists are amalgams of the living and mechanical, granting them physical abilities beyond carnal limits at the price of some of their humanity. Some choose this path, willingly sacrificing their bodies for the benefits of mechanical ones, others have it thrust upon them when dire injuries threaten their life, and still others follow the discipline of a Mechanist to make up for some birth defect or deformity.

Role: Mechanists use their combination of intellect physical strength to bring down their foes. They are capable melee combatants, but also shine when it comes to mechanical devices and traps.

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d12

Class Skillls
The Mechanist's class skills are Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge Arcana (Int), Knowledge Engineering (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

+1
+2
+0
+0
Not all there, Modifications, Technologist

+2
+3
+0
+0
Modification, Trapfinding, Mechanically Skilled

+3
+3
+1
+1
Surge

+4
+4
+1
+1
Modification, Pain Tolerance

+5
+4
+1
+1
Craft Technological item, Power Source

+6/+1
+5
+2
+2
Modification, Uncanny Dodge

+7/+2
+5
+2
+2
Craft Technological Arms and Armor

+8/+3
+6
+2
+2
Modification, Mechanical Mind

+9/+4
+6
+3
+3
Improved Uncanny Dodge

+10/+5
+7
+3
+3
Modification, Mechanical Resistances

+11/+6/+1
+7
+3
+3
Craft Construct

+12/+7/+2
+8
+4
+4
Modification

+13/+8/+3
+8
+4
+4

+14/+9/+4
+9
+4
+4
Modification

+15/+10/+5
+9
+5
+5

+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+5
+5
Modification

+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+5

+18/+13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+6
Modification

+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+6

+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+6
Modification

Class Features

The following are class features of the Mechanist.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mechanists are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Not all there (Ex): A mechanist's machine parts interfere with positive and negative energy. A mechanist gains only half the benefit from positive energy effects such as channeled positive energy and cure spells and suffers only half damage from negative energy effects such as channel negative energy and inflict spells.

Technologist: Gain the Technologist feat as a Bonus Feat

Mechanically Skilled: A mechanist receives a bonus equal to half his mechanist level (rounded down) on all Craft (Mechanical) and Knowledge Engineering checks.

Modification (Ex): As a mechanist gains levels he learns how to modify and improve his body to suit his needs. At first level he selects 3 first level modifications, and at every even level gains another appropriate to his level. A Mechanist may not possess more than one generation of a modification, for example, he may not have both Steel legs Mk 1 and Steel legs Mk 2. At 6th level and once every 3 levels thereafter (9th, 12th...) the mechanist may exchange a modification for another so long as if they trade out a body part they trade out the same one.

At first level, the mechanist can select from the following initial modifications.

Detecting Eye: Choose three of the following spells: Detect Abberation, Detect Animals or Plants, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Detect Psychic Significance, Detect Radiation, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Snares and Pits, Detect Undead. Your eye can run a program equivalent to these spells 3 times per day (not 3 each, 3 to be divided among them). This is an extraordinary ability and so cannot be dispelled.

Bionic Ear: You gain a +5 bonus on hearing based perception checks.

Steel Lung: You may hold your breath for 5x the normal length of time (10 rounds per point of constitution) before needing to make a constitution check to avoid suffocation.

Omni-stomach: You can eat and gain sufficient nutrition from any non-poisonous plant even if it isn't normally palatable to your race. For example, a human with an omni-stomach can survive on grass.

Spinal Support: Treat your strength as 3 points higher for purposes of carrying capacity.

Hamsprings: You gain a +10 competence bonus on all acrobatics checks made to jump.

Steel legs Mk 1: You have given up legs of flesh and blood in favor of robotic ones. Increase your movement speed by 20ft, but take a -2 penalty to your CMD against trip attacks, and increase your armor check penalty on Acrobatics, Climb, Ride, Stealth and Swim checks by 2, since they are a little clunky.

Mech-wrist: You gain a +10 competence bonus on all escape artist checks made to escape restraints.

Thief's friend: Your fingers look normal, but can be used as a set of thief's tools. For a 50 gp investment when this modification is taken, these can be masterwork thieves tools.

Iron Fist Mk 1: You replace the bone in your hands with metal. Increase your unarmed strike damage by one size category. You take a -2 penalty to your CMD against disarm attempts, and your armor check penalty on Disable Device, Escape Artist, and Sleight of Hand checks increases by 2.

Composite Skin Mk 1: The weaving of special fibers into your skin has made it tougher. Gain a +1 Natural Armor Bonus.

At 6th level, the mechanist adds the following modifications to the list he can choose from when he gains a new modification:

Camouflage: You have implanted an odd device that injects a camouflage serum into your blood stream when you desire. 3 times per day as a standard action, you may choose to blend into your surroundings. When standing still you are treated as invisible, and while moving you are treated as if you were under the effect of a Blur spell. This is an extraordinary ability and so cannot be dispelled. The effects last for one minute per level of mechanist you possess.

Cyber Reflexes Mk 1: Your mechanically enhanced senses are a boon. Gain +1 bonus to initiative and reflex saving throws.

Composite Skin Mk 2: The weaving of special fibers into your skin has made it tougher. Gain a +3 Natural Armor Bonus.

Lab Materials: You've implanted sufficient technology in yourself to serve as a makeshift lab for crafting technological things. Choose one lab. You may craft items this lab would normally be necessary for at half speed even if you don't have such a lab.

Steel legs Mk 2: Increase your movement speed by 30ft, but take a -2 penalty to your CMD against trip attacks, and increase your armor check penalty on Acrobatics, Climb, Ride, Stealth and Swim checks by 2, since they are a little clunky.

Iron Fist Mk 2: You replace the bone in your hands with superior metal. Increase your unarmed strike damage by one size category.

Ability Increase: You've evolved your body towards physical perfection. Increase any physical ability score by 2. This modification may be taken multiple times, but you may not increase any one ability score by more than 6 in this manner.

At 12th level, the mechanist adds the following modifications to the list he can choose from when he gains a new modification:

Steel legs Mk 3: Increase your movement speed by 30ft.

Composite Skin Mk 3: The weaving of special fibers into your skin has made it tougher. Gain a +5 Natural Armor Bonus.

Cyber Reflexes Mk 2: Your mechanically enhanced senses are a boon. Gain +2 bonus to initiative and reflex saving throws.

Lab Materials 2.0: You've implanted sufficient technology in yourself to serve as a makeshift lab for crafting technological things. Choose one lab. You may craft items this lab would normally be necessary for at full speed even if you don't have such a lab. You may only have one Lab Materials 2.0 modification.

Pain Tolerance: In general, Mechanists operate on their own body, which would cause excruciating pain if not for a small device inside the neck that dulls pain when needed. Whenever a mechanist must make a saving throw due to a pain effect (such as symbol of pain or pain strike) he receive a +6 competence bonus on that roll. Should this device ever be removed (requiring a DC 30 Heal check to not also kill the Mechanist as a Coup de Grace), the Mechanist may take 8 hours of work to construct and implant another.

Trapfinding: At second level a mechanist gains trap finding as per the Rogue class ability

Surge: As a swift action an mechanist can trigger a surge of chemicals into his bloodstream, temporarily rejuvenating him. He gains a number of temporary hit points equal to his mechanist level and a +2 chemical bonus on all saving throws for 1 minute. This ability is usable 3 + the mechanist's constitution modifier times per day.

Craft Technological Item: At 5th level a mechanist gains the craft technological item feat as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Power Source: Beginning at 5th level, a mechanist generates his own energy that he can used to power his equipment. He generates a number of charges equal to 3 + his intelligence modifier per day that can be used or stored in any technological equipment he possesses.

Uncanny Dodge: At 6th level a mechanist gains Uncanny Dodge as per the Rogue class ability

Craft Technological Arms and Armor: At 7th level a mechanist gains the craft technological arms and armor feat as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Mechanical Mind: Technological additions to your mind keep you stable. You gain a +2 bonus on all saving throws against mind affecting effects. At 13th level, this bonus increases to +4. At 17th level, this bonus increases to +6. At 20th level you are immune to all mind affecting effects.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 9th level a mechanist gains Improve Uncanny Dodge as per the Rogue class ability

Mechanical Resistances: At 10th level your body becomes sufficiently mechanical that some energies only have a limited effect on you. You gain resistance 10 to electricity and acid damage. At 15th level, these resistances increase to 20. At 20th level, you gain immunity to electricity and acid.

Craft Construct: At 11th level a mechanist gains the craft construct feat as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites. When a spell is required in construction, a mechanist can instead make a craft (mechanical) check at a DC equal to 15 + 2x the spell level to ignore that requirement. Failure by 5 or more results in the ruining of materials like any other crafting check.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Feats

Extra Power: Increase the number of charges per day you have to use on technological items by 2.

Additional Modification: Gain an additional modification appropriate to your level.

Extra Surge: Increase the number of surges you have per day by 2.

ElFi
2018-05-01, 10:06 PM
This is obviously not all done, but based on what's there so far:

Considering the scientific focus of this class, the various magical skills in the skill list strike me as odd, especially Spellcraft. Maybe it's intended to pair with the Detecting Eye mod, but I'm not really sure what business a cyborg has identifying spells.

Mention in the role description as being good with devices and traps is unsubstantiated as far as class features go, at least right now. At minimum, I don't think giving them Trapfinding like a rogue would be a huge thing to ask for.

HD/BAB/Saves progression is fine, but being limited to simple weapons strikes me as really odd for a dedicated combat class. Maybe there's some yet-unimplemented class feature that makes up for it?

I have no issues with the Modifications in and of themselves. But they're way too few in number and not nearly strong enough to justify making them the main feature of this class as of this writing. And absolutely none of them carry any kind of benefit towards making you a better fighter, hell, some of them actually make you worse in a toe-to-toe battle. Those penalties don't need to be there; you're not gaining nearly enough in exchange to justify them.

The improvements to your physical attributes feel haphazard and not really grounded in the fluff of the class. There are better ways to fill in levels.

That came off as more negative than I wanted it to be. I think the class has potential, based on the indications I'm getting from it so far, but it's got a long way to go. I'll try to think of more constructive suggestions in the future and drop them here.

Morphic tide
2018-05-01, 10:39 PM
I'll just point out that Pathfinder already has sci-fi like Technological Items (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/technological-equipment/) that serve as Not!Magic. There's some rules gripes to cover with them, though, mostly in that the rules are very much constructed to avert technologically covered worlds. Digging through Starfinder can give you more stuff to do with tech, but run the numbers before settling on a final class arrangement.

NikolaTesla
2018-05-02, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I've looked at your suggest and implemented several things: The modifications are much more common, the ability score increase is now a 6th level modification, and I've added trap finding as a class ability. The class still has aways to go, so please continue with your suggestions!

EDIT: To the question about the simple weapons: I'm thinking of implementing an ability separate from the modifications that allows the mechanist to create several tools for himself including armor and weapons, that's why I was thinking I would just stick with the simple weapons. However, something like an energy sword would definitely be a martial type weapon, so maybe I should adjust that...

NikolaTesla
2018-05-02, 03:33 PM
I've further updated the class with several new abilities. Of particular interest is the technological item creation feats and the lab materials and lab materials 2.0 modifications. I've never actually played with such technological items so I'm not sure how well balanced things are now, if you have any advice to give I welcome it.

As always, feel free to suggest new modifications! (to the class and the class ability itself)

aimlessPolymath
2018-05-02, 05:21 PM
Interesting. It's essentially a fighter chassis, but instead of bonus feats and static bonuses, you pick from a set of special abilities, as well as a minor item-crafting theme.

We would then generally expect one Modification to provide approximately the same value as a bonus feat. In most cases, this is not true, IMO. Some of the Mk. 3 abilities are strong, but the remainder don't really hold up as well, and a lot of the abilities provide only situational value.

Surge and Power Source help provide this class with a role, but they're clearly not the focus of it compared to the Modifications, and I'm not entirely sure what this class offers that a Fighter with three feats (inc. Master Craftsman) could not do.

My suggestions:

-Power Source moved to level 2ish, and create Modifications that take advantage of it.
-Combine some of the more situational Modifications- Omni-Stomach + Iron Lung; Mech-Wrist + Thief's Friend.

I also agree that the modifications that give downsides don't give enough to make up for the downsides.

DapperReaper
2018-05-10, 03:22 PM
at a glance, you might consider giving them the craft cybernetics feat as a bonus feat at some point, or give them bonuses for integrating actual cybernetics since its looking like cyborg the class(which is a fun idea), there's rules for hiding weapons in cybernetic arms, maybe you could look at those for ideas when making your integrated weapons idea, just a thought, happy homebrewing :)