PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Rules ideas: Delayed Levelling MC & Racial Bonuses

Mith
2018-05-01, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone! I have had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while and wonder about feasibility. The first idea is a different form of multi classing, and the second is a different way of distinguishing racial bonuses. Since this is all done by phone, I apologise for any grammar and formatting errors I've missed.

Current Multiclassing rules have you split your levels between your classes at level up. For example, if a 1st level Barbarian takes a level in Fighter at 2nd level (Barb 1/ Fighter 1) they then decide which class to advance upon 3rd level (for example Barb 2/Fighter 1).

If one were able to advance in two classes at once, (so Barb 1 becomes Bar 1/Fighter 1 at level 2 and then gains levels in both classes at the cost of levelling up both classes individually), they would be consistently 1 level behind a regular character.

This is a trade off of 1 less hit die, and 1 level delay in class features for the potential synergies of class features. If one does this with an uneven split (Barb 2/Fighter 1 at level 3 for example) this becomes less pronounced as the second class with a lower XP total does not make up as great of a percentage of the overall XP cost.

Is there any merit to this idea with some modification such as higher stat prerequisites to dual class, or an additional XP cost to delay level up further?

======

My other idea is a means of making a difference between player races. Currently, non humans generally gain a +2 to 1 stat and a +1 to another, while Humans gain +1s. I was wondering about the idea of reducing all racial +2 bonuses to +1 and allowing that stat to be boosted to 22 with ASIs, and allowing the first class picked to contribute +1 to 1 stat mentioned in the Quick Build section of the class. The Hard cap is still at 30, and the Barbarian Capstone would boost a modified Str or Con to 26. This makes strongest human equal to a fairly exceptional Half Orc, but slightly weaker then the strongest of them.

Thank you for your thoughts on these ideas!

-Mith

Quoz
2018-05-02, 12:40 AM
The first idea is... going to unballance a lot of things. You are basically trading 1 hit die for a whole classes list of extra features. If you thought a sorcerer/warlock was unbalanced, just imagine one with full casting on both short and long rests. Or a rogue with full caster progression as a wizard. It could work for a very high powered party, but your ability to balance encounters will be seriously strained.

The racial stat adjustment idea is not a bad homebrew. It doesn't change much for the early part of the game and at the end only adds about a plus 1 to one stat mod. By having a stat come from your class you can actually get a better spread of race/class mix, which is always a plus to me.

Mith
2018-05-02, 06:31 AM
The first idea is... going to unballance a lot of things. You are basically trading 1 hit die for a whole classes list of extra features. If you thought a sorcerer/warlock was unbalanced, just imagine one with full casting on both short and long rests. Or a rogue with full caster progression as a wizard. It could work for a very high powered party, but your ability to balance encounters will be seriously strained.

The racial stat adjustment idea is not a bad homebrew. It doesn't change much for the early part of the game and at the end only adds about a plus 1 to one stat mod. By having a stat come from your class you can actually get a better spread of race/class mix, which is always a plus to me.

For the first idea, that is why I was wondering about a significant XP penalty that delays a character progression more than just 1 level. So you could end up 2 or 3 HD behind, and have to deal with lower save bonuses if you are adventuring with the same party.

For the second idea, I am glad it's appreciated.