PDA

View Full Version : That Jerk With The Knife

Jack_McSnatch
2018-05-01, 10:07 PM
So long story short, we've been running a story circle, where everybody takes turns DMing. One guy is thinking about skipping his turn, as he's already running a game, meaning I may be taking over sooner than I thought. I'm designing an encounter with what's basically a ninja hit squad. I'm currently a little stuck on one guy. A karambit fighter. Well, eagle talon, but really, the talon is described exactly like a karambit.

The idea is while chain guy and crossbro are hitting people at range, tripping folks and doing damage, That Jerk with the Knife is gonna run in, hit someone, and immediately go for the grapple. Problem is... I think he needs more grapple bonuses. His grapple is only a +18.

I'm trying to keep that his main thing, but he has a handful of other tricks. He's monk 6/rogue 5/ardent 1. Specifically a spellbreaker rogue I think it's called. They miss with a spell, he can turn that spell back on the caster, so he can really **** up my duskblade. He has the magic mantle from ardent so he can also **** with our psychic warrior. Further more, he has riposte, so he gets an AoO if you miss.

So that's the idea. He's a high AC grappler who cuts you the f*ck up with a little knife. His AC is 41 with expertise going, and his grapple, as mentioned earlier, is +18. I'm looking for even more grapple and AC bonuses if you can think of them, cause I know my duskblade can beat both of those on an average roll. He's the powerhouse, so I figure if I can drop him to negatives, it'll freak the party out. Maybe cause some bad decisions. What do you think? Is it too much?

flappeercraft
2018-05-01, 10:16 PM
So long story short, we've been running a story circle, where everybody takes turns DMing. One guy is thinking about skipping his turn, as he's already running a game, meaning I may be taking over sooner than I thought. I'm designing an encounter with what's basically a ninja hit squad. I'm currently a little stuck on one guy. A karambit fighter. Well, eagle talon, but really, the talon is described exactly like a karambit.

The idea is while chain guy and crossbro are hitting people at range, tripping folks and doing damage, That Jerk with the Knife is gonna run in, hit someone, and immediately go for the grapple. Problem is... I think he needs more grapple bonuses. His grapple is only a +18.

I'm trying to keep that his main thing, but he has a handful of other tricks. He's monk 6/rogue 5/ardent 1. Specifically a spellbreaker rogue I think it's called. They miss with a spell, he can turn that spell back on the caster, so he can really **** up my duskblade. He has the magic mantle from ardent so he can also **** with our psychic warrior. Further more, he has riposte, so he gets an AoO if you miss.

So that's the idea. He's a high AC grappler who cuts you the f*ck up with a little knife. His AC is 41 with expertise going, and his grapple, as mentioned earlier, is +18. I'm looking for even more grapple and AC bonuses if you can think of them, cause I know my duskblade can beat both of those on an average roll. He's the powerhouse, so I figure if I can drop him to negatives, it'll freak the party out. Maybe cause some bad decisions. What do you think? Is it too much?

For a level 12 character +18 is definitely low but what would be perfect is to have someone cast Enlarge Person on you, after all it gives you more reach, higher damage output and a bonus to strength which helps with grapple on top of the size bonus. You would be getting +5 from that. If you want him to act more psionic, you could have him use a dorje of expansion or similar.

Acanous
2018-05-01, 10:52 PM
Exactly how high do you want it? If your duskblade beats it on an average roll now, how hard do you want it to be to beat? Enlarge gets you +5, a luckstone would be a nice bit of appropriate loot, if this guy is a sneak thief you can have him surprise round drink a potion of bull strength, that gets him to +26, or only beatable on a very high roll. Do you want him harder?

Rebel7284
2018-05-01, 11:15 PM
A totemist 2 dip could help with grapple. Also, a way to augment expansion would go a long way whether via more levels in Ardent or simply with a consumable item.

Zombulian
2018-05-01, 11:54 PM
A totemist 2 dip could help with grapple. Also, a way to augment expansion would go a long way whether via more levels in Ardent or simply with a consumable item.

This or just springing on Bind Soulmeld (Girallon Arms) and Psycarnum infusion would get you another I think +8 on grapple (albeit for 1 round). Kraken Mantle is also good if you're going Totemist.
Plus Girallon's Blessing in a wand would get you another +4.

AnimeTheCat
2018-05-02, 08:01 AM
A level or two of psychic warrior would get you expansion and iron grip.

A worse alternative choice is psionic fist for 2 levels at least to get both.

ShurikVch
2018-05-02, 09:29 AM
Excuse me for asking it, but does he took the Improved Grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedGrapple)?

Since you got Monk 6 - how about the Denying Stance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#denyingStance)?

Dragon #309 have Koumadjutsu (Demon Wrestling) fighting style.
Koumadjutsu Mastery I and Koumadjutsu Mastery II both give +2 bonus on all grapple checks (stacks with each other)
Those aren't feats - you're get them automatically if fit the prerequisites
Koumadjutsu Mastery I required: Str 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Improved Grapple, and Choke Hold.
Koumadjutsu Mastery II required Koumadjutsu Mastery I, and: Str 17, Power Attack, Knock-Down, Earth's Embrace, Fists of Iron.

DMVerdandi
2018-05-02, 11:28 AM
Question, Any reason why you have so many levels in Monk and Rogue? Many of their benefits kind of...Fizzle out after too long.

As far as grapple bonus, one of the things you can do to passively increase it is increases in strength, size, and strength. I am assuming that a large amount of the reason you are in rogue and monk are for unarmed strike damage, sneak damage, and Ac bonuses, right? Thing is, half of those are things you can get from multiple sources.

My suggestion would be just rebuilding the knife guy. Surely, you can keep the same theme and feel, and make some choices that more smoothly transition.

You have 12 levels to work with, so I would suggest dipping a little less hard in those other classes.
Sneak attack damage is cool or whatever, but you can kind of replicate it through other means. Most assuredly, through having MORE attacks is often better than having one sneak attack.

I say two routes are best. One is using tome of battle, and the other not [Just because a lot of people don't like it]

No TOB:
Human Monk 1/Ninja 1/Ardent 10

At level 1 take Monastic training and Improved grapple, as well as taking Ascetic Stalker
At level 3 Take Tashalatora
At level 6 Take Superior unarmed strike
At level 9 Take Scorpion's Grasp
At level 12 Take Psionic Meditation

For ardent take Conflict mantle, Physical power Deception mantle with magic mantle being last
Even though you are getting sudden strike 1d6, rather than sneak attack 3d6, You are also able to use Psionic lion's charge to get pounce each attack, so you can move and get full attacks.

Secondly, with scorpion's grasp, you are able to use free actions to grapple, and attack the opponent with your attack. Then if you take -20 to grapple, you can use one hand to maneuver them around, drag them, and keep attacking other enemies. Basically a rear half restraint.

With Tashalatora ardent levels increase your monk AC, Flurry and Unarmed damage.

Other powers worth picking up
-Prescience offensive (Insight to attack/Augmentable)
-Metaphysical Weapon (Enhancement to attack and damage/Augmentable)
-Adrenaline Boost (Insight to strength and dexterity/Augmentable)
-Vigor (+5 hit points/Augmentable)
-Cloud Mind (Invisibility/Silence)
-Concealing Amorpha (20% miss)
-Dimension slide (Dimension door short)
-Dispel psionics
-Psychofeedback (Boost ability scores by burning others)
-Animal Affinity (+4 to one score)
-Escape detection

TOB:
Battle Sorcerer 5/Lion Totem Spirit Barbarian 1/Warblade 1/Abjurant Champion 5

Feats:
1.Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Eagle Claw)/extend spell
3.Practiced Spellcaster
5.Combat Casting
7.Martial Study (Drain Vitality)
9.Martial Stance (Crushing weight of the mountain)
11.Martial Stance(Assasin's Stance)

For Maneuvers, go for

-Sapphire Nightmare blade
-Emerald Razor
-Tactical Strike
-Crushing weight of the mountain (Stance)
And moment of perfect mind

Look up a gish guide for good spells for gish.
Naturally, wraith strike, nerve skitter, true strike, greater mighty wallop, celerity, haste, greater invisibility, mage armor, shield, HEROICS, Greater magic weapon.

Jack_McSnatch
2018-05-02, 10:05 PM
Excuse me for asking it, but does he took the Improved Grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedGrapple)?

Since you got Monk 6 - how about the Denying Stance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#denyingStance)?

Question, Any reason why you have so many levels in Monk and Rogue? Many of their benefits kind of...Fizzle out after too long.

Denying stance is actually why I have so many levels in monk. I guess I really only need 2 levels in rogue for the spellbreaker ability, but 3d6 sneak attack is pretty damn nice. I could maybe afford to give up a few levels of each. Denying stance is only netting me a +2, and I don't need improved disarm.

flappeercraft
2018-05-02, 10:13 PM
If you don't want to change your build significantly but still make it more powerful, I just remembered theer is an ACF for psychic warrior called Mantled Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) which gives you a psionic mantle like an ardent although at second level. It would improve your BAB and give you access to expansion. Add in Practiced Manifester and you can get augmented expansion.

Zombulian
2018-05-02, 10:37 PM
If you don't want to change your build significantly but still make it more powerful, I just remembered theer is an ACF for psychic warrior called Mantled Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) which gives you a psionic mantle like an ardent although at second level. It would improve your BAB and give you access to expansion. Add in Practiced Manifester and you can get augmented expansion.

Ardent is 3/4 BAB just like Psywar.

flappeercraft
2018-05-02, 10:43 PM
Ardent is 3/4 BAB just like Psywar.

Huh. I could have sworn Psywar was Full bab and ardent was half.

Zombulian
2018-05-02, 11:54 PM
Huh. I could have sworn Psywar was Full bab and ardent was half.

Man if Psywar was full BAB NO ONE would play Fighter.

Inb4: "No one plays fighter already"

flappeercraft
2018-05-02, 11:57 PM
Man if Psywar was full BAB NO ONE would play Fighter.

Inb4: "No one plays fighter already"

Well Psywar is already superior in every way to fighter. It would probably still be better at half BAB