PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed On the deity requirement for Eldritch Disciple...

Bad Wolf
2018-05-02, 02:12 AM
Looking at the sample statblock for the class, the NPC worships "The Wild", which seems to just be that, nature. But the prc requires you to worship a deity that must be chaotic and/or evil. Or does it mean if you worship one, they have to be chaotic/evil?

Usually I'd chalk it up to WotC not knowing how to make a character, but this feels a little different.

Venger
2018-05-02, 02:48 AM
Looking at the sample statblock for the class, the NPC worships "The Wild", which seems to just be that, nature. But the prc requires you to worship a deity that must be chaotic and/or evil. Or does it mean if you worship one, they have to be chaotic/evil?

Usually I'd chalk it up to WotC not knowing how to make a character, but this feels a little different.

You're allowed to just venerate abstract concepts if none of the deities tickle your fancy by the default rules in D&D, so I assume Leruun does that. The qualifications just have a comma, not an "or," but mechanically if you're a character who worships and draws divine wifi from an abstract force, they are treated in all ways as a deity, assuming you have the correct alignment descriptors and such from them.

Also, never check a sample npc for anything, they're never right.

Bad Wolf
2018-05-02, 03:51 AM
if you're a character who worships and draws divine wifi from an abstract force,

Divine wifi...perfect.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-02, 08:00 AM
Divine wifi...perfect.
And now I have to figure out the dynamics of this new mechanic for a future game! Divine Wifi - where divine casters get varying levels of coverage for their particular deity in different locations within the game-world. Each 'bar' of coverage is access to a level of spells. So 9 bars is full coverage. Deities struggle to expand their coverage area as widely as possible. Temples and shrines act like cell towers outside the deity's natural area of influence.

Hmmmm.... This has possibilities! :smallbiggrin:

Andezzar
2018-05-02, 08:29 AM
You're allowed to just venerate abstract concepts if none of the deities tickle your fancy by the default rules in D&D, so I assume Leruun does that. The qualifications just have a comma, not an "or," but mechanically if you're a character who worships and draws divine wifi from an abstract force, they are treated in all ways as a deity, assuming you have the correct alignment descriptors and such from them. That is the general rule, however the Eldritch Disciple PrC has a specific rule saying the character must worship a deity, it does not allow an ideal as source of his power. Just like you cannot be an Ordained Champion without worshipping Hextor or Heironeous even if you took two of their domains.

While her deity is named "the Wild" her domains correspond to two of Ehlonna's domains. I'm not sure whether "the Wild" is one of Ehlonna's titles or the name of some other deity. Either way we ar not told that "The Wild" (capital W which inidcates a proper name) is not a deity, but an ideal.

DarkSoul
2018-05-02, 10:31 AM
I understand the need for having the patron deity but at the same time I don't think it's absolutely necessary for every eldritch disciple.

Granted these are NPCs and therefore have the power of plot on their side, but in my campaign I have a faction of Eldritch Disciples whose fiendish patron taught them the secrets of both Warlocks and Ur-priests. The most gifted of them become Eldritch Disciples.

Telonius
2018-05-02, 10:54 AM
For what it's worth, here's the quote that starts out the PRC:

"You have seen the powers my calling has granted me. How can I not devote my entire soul to the divinity in the wild?"—Leruun Anstrun, Disciple of the Wild

And, the text from from the EL 10 encounter:

When the PCs encounter her, Leruun Anstrun is seeking to win over a village to the worship and service of the wild.

Mix of capital-W and small-w, so not much help there. Seems like the idea there is that she's trying to set up a hierarchy to worship nature as a whole. Whether that counts as "close enough" to a deity? Ask your DM, I suppose; otherwise go by the rules text when it conflicts with the flavor text.

GrayDeath
2018-05-02, 02:19 PM
And now I have to figure out the dynamics of this new mechanic for a future game! Divine Wifi - where divine casters get varying levels of coverage for their particular deity in different locations within the game-world. Each 'bar' of coverage is access to a level of spells. So 9 bars is full coverage. Deities struggle to expand their coverage area as widely as possible. Temples and shrines act like cell towers outside the deity's natural area of influence.

That ... is actually a great Idea for a campaign setting.

Thanks for the Inspiration!

@ OP: Chalk it up tonot knowing their stuff, as in so mny supplements.
Make it a Chaotic and/or Evil Principle and you should be fine. :)

Telonius
2018-05-02, 02:25 PM

Ur-Priests piggy-back on the signal.

Underdark adventures could get interesting. Only coverage available is a local area net set up by Lolth. Dwarves and Gnomes are setting up their own landlines.

daremetoidareyo
2018-05-02, 02:52 PM

Underdark adventures could get interesting. Only coverage available is a local area net set up by Lolth. Dwarves and Gnomes are setting up their own landlines.

Earth nodes, mayhaps?

Feantar
2018-05-02, 05:31 PM

And lo, the Patriach Usmah directed the followers towards the tapestry of destiny, which showed 95% coverage over the known world.

PS: Is there spell failure in major holy days where the churchtowers are oversaturated? Is there spell level throttling after a number of spells cast? Do all good clerics have the Positive Attitude package which doesn't count divine points for cure spells? I'll stop now...

Venger
2018-05-02, 10:28 PM
Divine wifi...perfect.
yeah feel free to steal it

sounds like fun. let us know how it works out

yeah, ur-priests siphon a small amount of bandwidth from a variety of different sources, so no one individual one notices the drain, like in superman 3.

And lo, the Patriach Usmah directed the followers towards the tapestry of destiny, which showed 95% coverage over the known world.

PS: Is there spell failure in major holy days where the churchtowers are oversaturated? Is there spell level throttling after a number of spells cast? Do all good clerics have the Positive Attitude package which doesn't count divine points for cure spells? I'll stop now...
yes, that's why clerics have daily slots and can't keep casting indefinitely. they have a reset period of 24 hours.

flappeercraft
2018-05-02, 11:59 PM

Can I steal this idea?

gorfnab
2018-05-03, 02:23 AM

Could a Portable Alter (A&EG) or Alter Case (DotF) be used for tethering?

Bad Wolf
2018-05-03, 03:40 AM

I mean, that's basically magic in Faerun. Kinda. Mystra and Shar are competing cell services.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-03, 08:46 AM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, I am moving the Divine Wifi discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?557843-Divine-Wifi&p=23042408#post23042408) to another thread.