PDA

View Full Version : Original System Replacing Character Class & Archetype with God & Demigod

Cap'n Gravelock
2018-05-02, 05:27 AM
I was thinking about swapping the character classes and archetypes with gods and demigods or something similar.

Like instead of being listed as "Barbarian", a character will just have his deity specified as "Bolgor the Barbarian"...

AtlasSniperman
2018-05-02, 05:39 AM
I don't know exactly what you mean to do with that. But you might like the game "Scion" even if just the flavour

Gorum
2018-05-09, 11:16 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean to do with that. But you might like the game "Scion" even if just the flavour

I think he meant your class' ability should be based upon your beliefs. Therefore, "paladins" would be the followers of a God of Protection and Honor. He is not a "paladin", he is a follower of Thor.

And if I'm right, the idea would only fit very specific settings. The class' name was never meant to be referred to in-game, and restrict a set of class abilities to a set of beliefs is really clumsy. There are Christian crusaders just as well as there are Christian farmers, sailors and priests.

Better simply make a point-buy system on class abilities and allow players to form their own, a bit like at the end of AD&D (can't recall the expansion book's name), and allowing extra restrictions to be able to merge another class' abilities.

Or have a mixture of classes like in FFG's Star Wars games, FFG' Warhammer games, Pokemon Tabletop Adventures (in which having a class was OPTIONAL).

Or you know, not have classes. Like Shadowrun and most generic systems. I'm VERY partial to Silhouette Dream Pod 9's system.