PDA

View Full Version : Time Regression vs Forced Dream

theblasblas
2018-05-02, 07:19 AM
Time Regression is a 9th level power of the Nomad tree that turns back time to the previous turn. It has a 1000 xp cost.

Forced Dream is a 3rd level power that is listed as a Telepathy (Complusion)[mind-affecting] power that allows you as a swift action to turn back time to the round it was cast for it's round/level(minute/level amped) duration.

Unless you're immune to mind affecting effects, is there any reason to use Time Regression over Forced Dream?

DeTess
2018-05-02, 07:27 AM
You're reading to wrong. Forced Dream allows you to reset to the start of your turn, while time regression goes back to the start of the entire round.

theblasblas
2018-05-02, 07:37 AM
Ahhhh... now I get it. You need to use Forced Dream pre-emptively while Time Regression can be cast after something bad happens. It still feels like an overall better spell, especially if you augment it, since you can just cast it at the start of combat and it'll last for the entire encounter.

Edit: Ahhh wait, now I get the part I misread. I though it was an immediate action you could use anytime. It has to be a swift action on your turn, so it's not as useful as Time Regression. Thanks.

DeTess
2018-05-02, 07:42 AM
Ahhhh... now I get it. You need to use Forced Dream pre-emptively while Time Regression can be cast after something bad happens. It still feels like an overall better spell, especially if you augment it, since you can just cast it at the start of combat and it'll last for the entire encounter.

No, you don't quite get it. Forced dream allows you to go back to the start of your turn, while time regression allows you to go back 1 entire round.

For example, if a dragon wipes your entire party but you in a single turn, you can use Time regression to go back a round and try again with everyone alive again. You can't use Forced dream to do so. If the dragon is almost dead and you don't care about the rest of your party, you could use forced dream to give yourself another chance at hitting the dragon if you miss him with your attack.

Psyren
2018-05-02, 10:31 AM
Forced Dream is an integral part of the Save Game Trick. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook)

Actually, looking this up let me think of an enhancement for the trick. Rather than get your psicrystal polymorphed so you can share Forced Dream with it, simply get an Elemental Envoy (CPsi 52) instead; they also have Share Powers but aren't immune to mind-affecting. When you're done doing {dangerous activity} you can reform it away.

Necroticplague
2018-05-02, 12:49 PM
Time Regression is a 9th level power of the Nomad tree that turns back time to the previous turn. It has a 1000 xp cost.

Forced Dream is a 3rd level power that is listed as a Telepathy (Complusion)[mind-affecting] power that allows you as a swift action to turn back time to the round it was cast for it's round/level(minute/level amped) duration.

Unless you're immune to mind affecting effects, is there any reason to use Time Regression over Forced Dream?

The bolded is incorrect, in which lies the answer to your question.

While this power is active, any time during its turn the target can choose (as a swift action) to “restart” its turn. Everything that has transpired since the start of its turn is erased
So Time Regression sends you back farther. Time regression sends you to your last turn, Forced Dream sends you back to the begenning of this one. So Forced Dream is more useful as a "going to do something risky, making a backup plan", while Time Regression is more of a reset button.

Of course, some clever use of readied actions could similarly allow Forced Dream to act as a similar reset button, it's less foolproof and would require you to constantly eat up your standard action readying it.