PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Samurai/Barb MC Advice

BrusLi
2018-05-02, 09:52 AM
Hello there! (insert obi wan meme)

I need your advice/help on the matter of multiclassing.New character in the ongoing campaign level 7-8th.

RP background is covered,I am using samurai subclass not the theme for my character.
He is veteran/older-ish warrior, H.Orc that started as a brutish barbarian,turned focused and disciplined warrior. Hard boiled, grumpy.

Anyways, 1 level Barbarian/ X Samurai.

Since the coolest samurai stuff comes in pretty late like rapid strike,Strength before death... is it wise to invest one more level of Barb for reckless attack,thus delaying the samurai progress? (even thou fighting spirit gives limited, 3 times per day advantage,reckless is on demand )

Looking forward to hear some of your thoughts

Anyone with experience with playing samurai,mid,late game or multiclassing?
Or just having the advice...all are welcome. ^_^

djreynolds
2018-05-02, 11:25 AM
Before samurai, I used the totem barbarian instead... just renamed stuff.
Rage was ki
Totem was bushido

But now we have ancestor barbarian

I see ancestor barbarian/samurai screaming your name.... that would be cool

Scale mail and either two-handing a long sword, or even dual wielding long/short

Sounds awesome

GlenSmash!
2018-05-02, 01:15 PM
I think the single level in Barb without going to 2 for Reckless attack or 3 for Path benefits seems pretty weird.

If you are just wanting the Flavor of a Barbarian and then going full fighter, consider choosing the Outlander background and go full fighter.

Tribal Marauder is one of the options for Outlander already.

BrusLi
2018-05-02, 02:43 PM
I think the single level in Barb without going to 2 for Reckless attack or 3 for Path benefits seems pretty weird.

If you are just wanting the Flavor of a Barbarian and then going full fighter, consider choosing the Outlander background and go full fighter.

Tribal Marauder is one of the options for Outlander already.

Flavor is tied to a rage,occasionally losing it and becoming impervious to attacks,damage,pain etc.

1lvl now and second level after Rapid strike feature at lvl 16 is at least what I am considering at the moment.

strangebloke
2018-05-02, 03:44 PM
Well, TBH, I don't much care for samurai. I would really recommend Champion or Battlemaster, but that's just me. Samurai and Barbarian in particular lack synergy, because reckless attack and fighting spirit are two ways to the same bonus.

moreover, are you starting at level 1? Because if so, don't really worry about things like level 16 features. Your campaign will almost certainly not go that far, and even if it does, by the time you get there, your tastes may very well change.

THAT SAID

Reckless Attack is an absolutely monstrous feature. The feature you need to worry about delaying isn't rapid strike, it's your extra attack and ASI.

I would go: Barbarian 1 -> Samurai 5 -> Barbarian 3 -> Samurai 16.

BrusLi
2018-05-02, 05:33 PM
Well, TBH, I don't much care for samurai. I would really recommend Champion or Battlemaster, but that's just me. Samurai and Barbarian in particular lack synergy, because reckless attack and fighting spirit are two ways to the same bonus.

moreover, are you starting at level 1? Because if so, don't really worry about things like level 16 features. Your campaign will almost certainly not go that far, and even if it does, by the time you get there, your tastes may very well change.

THAT SAID

Reckless Attack is an absolutely monstrous feature. The feature you need to worry about delaying isn't rapid strike, it's your extra attack and ASI.

I would go: Barbarian 1 -> Samurai 5 -> Barbarian 3 -> Samurai 16.

I am jumping in and like i said it would be between levels 7-8, campaign will reach 20th level.

I am not the biggest fan of Champion, Samurai is more appealing to me. Even though the abilities overlap on the first glance,later they synergies very well.

To elaborate, activating Fighting Spirit is Bonus action that could be well spent on something else..like GWM on crit or Cleave...while reckless attack doesn't require anything .

That means, Rapid strike will grant you 4 attacks regular(with free BA for GWM for potential 5th attack), 4-5 levels earlier than the actual Fighter capstone which grants 4th attack.

Now you throw in Action Surge or two and you melt stuff XD

strangebloke
2018-05-02, 05:47 PM
I am jumping in and like i said it would be between levels 7-8, campaign will reach 20th level.

I am not the biggest fan of Champion, Samurai is more appealing to me. Even though the abilities overlap on the first glance,later they synergies very well.

To elaborate, activating Fighting Spirit is Bonus action that could be well spent on something else..like GWM on crit or Cleave...while reckless attack doesn't require anything .

That means, Rapid strike will grant you 4 attacks regular(with free BA for GWM for potential 5th attack), 4-5 levels earlier than the actual Fighter capstone which grants 4th attack.

Now you throw in Action Surge or two and you melt stuff XD

Correct, reckless attack is much better than fighting spirit. So much better, in fact that having fighting sprit at all is pointless.

So don't play a samurai. Most of this character's career, he won't have rapid strike, and it isn't as though you're not playing samurai for the skill proficiencies.

That's my two cents, anyway.

BrusLi
2018-05-03, 07:11 AM
Correct, reckless attack is much better than fighting spirit. So much better, in fact that having fighting sprit at all is pointless.

So don't play a samurai. Most of this character's career, he won't have rapid strike, and it isn't as though you're not playing samurai for the skill proficiencies.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Yeah,you are right... BM would offer more versatility than the samurai and right of the bat.

Basically at any stage of the game...

BM 5/ zealot 3 would be nice and rest into the BM, or BM 6/ Barb 2... and after the third attack zealot 3??
The latter would give gwm and asi + reckless available and rage + resistance twice per day..sounds tasty

strangebloke
2018-05-03, 09:35 AM
Yeah,you are right... BM would offer more versatility than the samurai and right of the bat.

Basically at any stage of the game...

BM 5/ zealot 3 would be nice and rest into the BM, or BM 6/ Barb 2... and after the third attack zealot 3??
The latter would give gwm and asi + reckless available and rage + resistance twice per day..sounds tasty

BM or Cavalier or Champion all have better synergy for what you're doing. BM is the most aggressive of those, so I can see the appeal for you.

zealot is really cool, and works fine here, although so does bear totem or berzerker or ancestral.

With respect to your build specifically, I would go "BM 5/Zealot 3/BM X" just like you said. This lets you get start your build more or less complete, and rage/reckless attack are more than worth delaying your third attack. BM 5/Zealot 4/BM X is worth considering as well, since it lets you get your 3rd feat a level earlier than the other option. (although you delay your third attack, but that's a long way away anyway.)

Are you using point buy? You'll have room for a half-feat related to strength, since you'll probably start at 17 STR and you'll only need a +1 to get it to the next tier. I would consider the following:

Orcish Fury: 1/SR, add an additional weapon damage die to a damage roll. (This die can be doubled on a crit) make a reaction attack after using relentless endurance. Not a huge buff, but hitting someone with 4d12+15 on a crit and then getting a bonus attack feels good.

Tavern Brawler: Not optimal, but everyone loves being able to beat your enemies to death with a table. Bonus action grapple is useful situationally.

Brawny(from UA): Expertise in athletics. 'Nuff said. You can also carry a mule.

BrusLi
2018-05-03, 10:57 AM
BM or Cavalier or Champion all have better synergy for what you're doing. BM is the most aggressive of those, so I can see the appeal for you.

zealot is really cool, and works fine here, although so does bear totem or berzerker or ancestral.

With respect to your build specifically, I would go "BM 5/Zealot 3/BM X" just like you said. This lets you get start your build more or less complete, and rage/reckless attack are more than worth delaying your third attack. BM 5/Zealot 4/BM X is worth considering as well, since it lets you get your 3rd feat a level earlier than the other option. (although you delay your third attack, but that's a long way away anyway.)

Are you using point buy? You'll have room for a half-feat related to strength, since you'll probably start at 17 STR and you'll only need a +1 to get it to the next tier. I would consider the following:

Orcish Fury: 1/SR, add an additional weapon damage die to a damage roll. (This die can be doubled on a crit) make a reaction attack after using relentless endurance. Not a huge buff, but hitting someone with 4d12+15 on a crit and then getting a bonus attack feels good.

Tavern Brawler: Not optimal, but everyone loves being able to beat your enemies to death with a table. Bonus action grapple is useful situationally.

Brawny(from UA): Expertise in athletics. 'Nuff said. You can also carry a mule.

For Barbarian, like you said, everything works. I am inclined towards the zealot.

As for spread fighter gets ASI on 6 so there are no reasons for barb 4, no delay there .

I indeed will take Orcish Fury on 4th level, that was my plan. :D

Thanks for making me realize there are far better options instead of samurai. ;)

strangebloke
2018-05-03, 12:24 PM
For Barbarian, like you said, everything works. I am inclined towards the zealot.

As for spread fighter gets ASI on 6 so there are no reasons for barb 4, no delay there .

I indeed will take Orcish Fury on 4th level, that was my plan. :D

Thanks for making me realize there are far better options instead of samurai. ;)

My pleasure!

The reason to go "BM 5/Barb 4/BM X" is that you get two ASIs back-to-back. 1 at barbarian 4 and 1 at fighter 6. So if you want to max strength ASAP, it's a faster route.

Basically:
Level 4(BM 4): Orcish Fury
Level 9(Barb 4):GWM
Level 10(Fighter 6):STR+2

vs.

Level 9(Fighter 6):GWM
Level 11(Fighter 8):STR+2

You get your third feat a level earlier, but you get your third attack a level later. So YMMV.

BrusLi
2018-05-03, 06:07 PM
My pleasure!

The reason to go "BM 5/Barb 4/BM X" is that you get two ASIs back-to-back. 1 at barbarian 4 and 1 at fighter 6. So if you want to max strength ASAP, it's a faster route.

Basically:
Level 9(Barb 4):GWM
Level 10(Fighter 6):STR+2

vs.

Level 9(Fighter 6):GWM
Level 11(Fighter 8):STR+2

You get your third feat a level earlier, but you get your third attack a level later. So YMMV.

I rolled good stats 17,15,14,8,10,10

So I will have with H.Orc 19 str +1 orcish fury, 16 con 14 dex or something. And i dont wanna delay stuff more than necessarily.

4th level of barb IMHO is not needed. :)

djreynolds
2018-05-03, 06:59 PM
You know, battlemaster/barbarian works... just call him a samurai

But I like the brute archetype coupled with barbarian it could be very nasty.

GWM is the key though, if that is your bread and butter.... advantage and precision is too easy. You will rarely miss.

That said the lucky feat is also helpful