PDA

View Full Version : What is the craziest plan you've ever got to work?

DRD1812
2018-05-02, 10:05 AM
Did you pull off a daring heist? Some kind of crazy spell combo? Successfully impersonate the king and usurp the throne? What are the top-tier hijinks you've successfully undertaken?

My entry is an improvised escape from an erupting volcano, as illustrated here (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/crazy-enough-to-work).

Fayd
2018-05-02, 11:24 AM
Not 5e (was Pathfinder) but I destroyed a castle gate with Summon Monster II.

Ok so the gunslinger helped by making a lot of gunpowder and the fighter helped by making and dropping some shaped charges at the gates, but the small fire elementals I conjured caused the explosion.

(We needed to breach the gates without any overt signs of violence or the golems at the gate would turn us all into a fine paste; all of the individual steps were themselves nonviolent so it didn’t trip their programming)

Lord8Ball
2018-05-02, 12:06 PM
During my first campaign, I was playing a CN wizard in a dark fantasy elven society in 2e who was the bastard born of a noble and priestess. It was my mission to kidnap a human for experimentation for my master to complete my apprenticeship. I encountered a group of players traveling down the road and lured out one of their members into the forest when they made camp. I bribed the dwarf with gold and using some magic managed to make him knock one of his group in the night. He rolled a nat 20 later that day and ended up bringing her limp body to the outskirts of the hidden village where he and the girl were promptly captured by the elven patrol(though I let the dwarf have my first name which saved him from execution). The next day I Disguised myself as a human traveler on the road and ended up using charm person on another player who was going south on the road with her dog to meet up with her sister who was fleeing an arranged marriage. Then as we walked along the road I learned her story and told her that I had met her sister and that she and those people who were traveling with her and that the half-elf who led the group brought them to my hometown. After getting the story straight and describing them in detail she was convinced and followed. I led her to the tower where she was fed with drugged food and then dragged to the lab on the bottom floor along with her sister. There was a festival going on where everyone was dressing in magical costumes to disguise themselves as various creatures. I chose a beholder because of its alien form so to better hide my body language. The mostly human and a half-elf party, of course, tried to stage a rescue mission in a dangerous hidden city of people who enslaved humans and other lesser races for sport and entertainment. So they followed the rumors and the half-elf found me in the tower and asked me if I did anything which I denied and my master pleased with me overfilling the quota also went along with this story(he almost cast the forget spell on him). After refusing the offer of food and finished talking they left. Anyway, after that, I was gone for a few sessions on a vacation in Florida. When I came back I found out the rouge tried to break into the tower by climbing it but escaped after leaving his mark. Putting two and two together in character I plotted to screw over the party by exposing them in town. While they were in a bar talking about their plan I with a charm person in beholder form I managed to convince one of the gullible of the bunch that I was here to help and tempted them with information on the girl that they were after. The party was not disguised at all and then I started up some stir in the crowd with whispering while mingling and when they were confronted with absolutely no proof that they were elven I inspired the crowd to send them to the arena. I along with my master were put in seats of honor and I offered that entire party to be under his servitude. I then later freed the dwarf from the prison. In the meantime, I had another plan using my slave gnome who was another player I plotted to free him and the two other girls who were imprisoned. I managed to convince them that I was here to save them and was a good person who wanted to bring that family together and leave this evil life behind(which was a lie). We escaped from the town and I started off my adventure with the two humans, gnome, and dwarf after dooming the other party to slavery. The campaign ended soon after due to life.

sithlordnergal
2018-05-02, 12:33 PM
I have had three crazy plans that worked:

1) Curse of Strahd: Operation Big Bang

A bit of backstory for this. The DM had previously shown that a certain drink was very explosive when lit on fire. Explosive enough to, and I quote, "cause a mushroom cloud of fire". We discovered this by mistake and he had obviously thrown it in for fun when I lit set drink on fire and caused a wild fire that burned down half of Barovia.

Skip to a few chapters later. We have been invited to Strahd's castle due to his upcoming wedding. The wild fire is still far off, so we don't need to worry about it. Funnily enough, everything we needed was in the castle, so we sneak in. As we search the castle, we find several barrels of the same drink that exploded before, and I get a crazy idea. Light all the barrels on fire and blow up Strahd's castle to create a distraction as we escape.

As soon as we found the items we needed, Strahd's minions started to attack us as we tried to escape with the things to kill strahd. I immediately light a makeshift fuse I set up, and we make a run for it. We barely escaped before the castle exploded in a blaze of fire. The minions had to stop chasing us i order to help try to bring things back under control.

2) Storm Kings Thunder: Operation ODST

Backstory: I was playing a Paladin and had found a set of cursed plate armor. Sadly I didn't know it was cursed until after I has attuned to it. The curse? It was Armor of Vulnerability-bludgeoning. So all bludgeoning damage was halved, everything else was doubled. I had discovered that this worked very well for dealing with falling damage

It is the second to last chapter of Storm King's Thunder. The group has finally discovered the location of the missing King of the Storm Giants. The party is trying to think of a way to get the drop on the cult holding the King when I had an idea.

We had gained the help of a dragon who was willing to carry us to the ship the King was on. I suggested that we fly high enough that the sailors wouldn't really notice us, then we jump. The party decided to go along with it since the wizard had featherfall.

Cut to a day later and we made the jump...only to hit a wall of force, ending feather fall early. So what did my Paladin do? He ran to the edge of the wall and jumped. Since he had the cursed armor, he cut all falling damage in half, and Heavy Armor Mastery lowered it by 3. When I landed, I took a total of 7 damage, and proceeded to wreck things like an ODST should.

3) Tomb of Ahnniliation: Operation Volcano

I was playing a Moon Druid, and for the second to last fight I had used my wild shape to turn into a Fire Elemental. We took a short rest, and I remained in Fire Elemental form, giving me full hp and my wild shapes back. We knew there was a pit of lava where the final boss was, and I had Gauntlets of Ogre Strength to set the Fire Elemental's strength to 19.

So I hatched a crazy plan. I asked the Wizard to cast fly on me, and as soon as the fight started I flew to the final boss and began grappling him. The DM was confused at first, but quickly realized what I was planning. So he tried to break the grapple, and failed, and tried to give me exhaustion to make it harder for me to grapple with a Legendary action. Only to remember that Elementals are immune to exhaustion.

As soon as my turn came back, I dragged the boss under the lava, dealing 10d10 fire damage instantly as I was immune the the fire. Then, at the start of it's next turn it took another 10d10. I will admit the dm knocked me out of elemental form while I was under the lava, dropping me to 7 hp and escaping my grapple, but since I still had wild shapes I turned into a fire elemental again, stood in the boss's square, and killed it with a d10 of fire damage.

I killed the final boss of ToA in three rounds. My reward was Acerack using all his Legendary actions to knock my full hp Fire Elemental form to lower then 100 hp with a Sphere of Ahnniliation and 3rd level magic missile, followed by Power Word Kill. But I accomplished my goal, I had burned/dunked the final boss in lava and killed it before the rest of the party had to expend any spells or lose any hp.

DMThac0
2018-05-02, 12:41 PM
2nd lvl Rogue 1st lvl Ranger, human.

Curse of Strahd, we find ourselves being assaulted by a handful of wolves and a vampire spawn. The Dm was trying to present a situation that would show us how dangerous this adventure was going to be. The group was separated by a fence, two party members (a paladin and me) and a couple npcs inside the cemetery, the other 4 players outside. The rest of the group was trying to handle the wolves while I decided to kite the vampire spawn, thinking I'd be able to maneuver around the area easier than the rest. Then things got difficult as one party member was dropped by a dire wolf, so our fighter decided to take her to safety in the cemetery (holy ground). We were under the idea the wolves were lycanthropes, only to find out they were just dire wolves...

So as the fight starts to go down hill I decide it's time I go on the offensive, but I have a vampire spawn causing me grief. In a flash of brilliant stupidity, I decide to walk backwards so my heels are on the edge of the holy ground of the cemetery and taunt the vampire spawn to attack me. I am rewarded with the beast grasping me and biting down on my neck, I'm down to only 8hp after the attack but I don't resist the grapple. On my turn I verify with the Dm that the vampire has me in it's grasp, being told yes, I decide to not break grapple. Instead I grab the vampire in turn, and using a hip toss, drop the vampire squarely inside the cemetary grounds. Using my movement I drag the creature deeper into the cemetery grounds. Calling on the npcs I have them help me hold the vampire down for as long as we can. I let go of the vampire, leaving the npcs to hold it, while I stab at it with the silvered dagger I found earlier. The creature manages to escape two turns later and runs for it. The two npcs get AOs, one critting while swinging at it with her shoe. The paladin strikes at it using a spell and smite to burst damage and, to my happiness, she crits. I use my bow to try to cripple it, calling a shot to the knee, critical hit, and it falls, still in the cemetery, where it dies from the holy energies burning away at it.

The party was now down by 2 players, the wolves making the other player's lives difficult (we had 3 new players in a group of 6). I vault over the fence and start to take care of a wolf, and we some how manage to dispatch the entire pack of wolves and the vampire spawn. Only having 2 of our party members falling unconscious from the fight. We then find out that a certain arrogant Lord was watching the whole thing...I made an enemy that day.

Bloodcloud
2018-05-02, 01:12 PM
The arcane trickster in my game came up with a goofy yet brilliant plan to spy on the air knights in Princes of the apocalypse once they got themselves invited to the banquet:

First, use bluf to fake feeling unwell and rushing to the latrines.
Once in, use minor illusion (and erm, con checks) to generate a copious amount of noise, foul smell, and pained groan to be left alone.
Cast spider climb and climb through the hole and on the side of the tower, thus gaining access to the living quarters of the knights.
Climb back then clean up with prestidigitation.

A great succes, I gave him some papers proving the nefarious plans of the knights.

Balthasaurus
2018-05-02, 01:22 PM
A little bit of context: this was our first campaign. We were all 14. All three players, including myself, and the DM, had never played a role-playing game before. Now, the GM thought it would be a wonderful idea to jump straight into homebrew without ever looking at any published adventures, and also hardly looking at the rules. I had somehow deluded myself into thinking it would be a Lord of the Rings style adventure.

How wrong I was.

Paelias the elvish ranger had somehow winded up in the same party as Loinz the dwarf and Lurgz the half-orc, both of whom were murder-hobos. Whenever the GM didn't want them to fight an NPC, he just told us the NPC had the statistics of an adult red dragon. The world was tiny; you could literally walk to any location within one day, and you weren't allowed to "walk off the map". We had visited the four elemental planes by level three and by level five we found the legendary McGuffin artefact and Loinz and Lurgz became super powerful god-beings, who then went forth to create their own multiverse. Paelias declined the offer, instead advancing to just 20th level, and started travelling the planes, trying to look for one that wasn't as whack as the one he'd started in.

Regardless...

One of our DM's random encounters involved trying to help a mamma bear look for her lost cub. Neither Loinz nor Lurgz actually took this seriously and came up with the following plan: cast Reduce on the mamma bear, pick her up, and show herself her reflection so she thinks that she has found her cub. This part didn't work, and we got into a fight with an angry bear, and eventually killed it. "Oops".

Later, we find a cave. Inside is a bear cub, who looks very lost and sad. Loinz adopts it and for some jank reason the bear cub treats him as her new parent. :smallannoyed: Loinz names the bear Nymeria. Then, to make things even more ridiculous, various spells from a strange priestess lady get cast on the cub, turning it into an adult, and a half-dragon, and we get our new friend to carry around our carnival wagon.

Our 1st campaign was definitely the craziest, and weird stuff like this happened all the time cuz our DM didn't know how to run a game. Fortunately, we've matured and gotten better since then. :smallbiggrin:

Belier
2018-05-02, 01:38 PM
DDEX-2-7 Bounty in the bog.

We are at the last fight, there is a wizard, 1 rogue archer, a giant badger, 2 monk, 2 fighter against our party of 5 in which we have 2 level 1.(I guess the DM kinda over evaluated our group)

After having beaten the wizard, 1 or 2 monk(ain t sure, but we were looking bad so probly only 1), having the 2 fighters badly damaged but still fighting, our group has 2 unconscious rolling death saves, our barbarian is badly injured with barely any hp left and I as the healer have only 1 level 1 slot left and obviously, the group seems that it aint gonna make it alive(except may be me because I was still behind and full hp with 2 normal wild shape in my pocket if I wanted to flee). I try to look around if something could be useful, the only thing I can see is that the tunnel is kind of weak. I call my 2 other team mates, as this is probly their last turn before the barbarian goes down and the other one is a wizard, wich wont take long to take down either. I SCREAM TO BOTH OF THEM, PICK UP THE WOUNDED AND MOVE THEM BACK NOW. I then move in the front, Ready, action, thunder wave set up for the moment my allies grab the 2 incounscious and move their turn. The barbarian then manage to avoid one opportunity attack that could've put him uncouncious and grab the first ally, the wizard take a hit on one if his duplicate and grab the second uncounscious and they pull them back just a bit behind me and I blast the roof in front of me over in the direction of the ennemies. I was willing to sacrifice myself, I didn't know exactly what the dm would make about it once the collapsing happens but he made it fall on the fighters that made a huge oh **** moment and the whole place started to shake and the dm said, it's time to run for your life. I wildshaped into a horse, the barbarian took the second uncouncious from the wizard as he got on my back and we started to dash our way out of the tunnel that was collapsing with the dm asking us to roll atletic checks each round. One of the incounscious guy, a level 1 druid rolled a nat 20 and got counciousness back noticing everything is crumbling appart around him while he was being dashed out of the tunnel and at the end we were lucky to have on an ally another potion for the other one that had 2-2 saves atm.

We made it all alive, but had to make it without the rewards of looting the last place.

jaappleton
2018-05-02, 01:54 PM
This one occurred last Friday, actually. My most recent session.

We'd been tracking a vampire. Get to his crypt. Get to the doorway just outside his coffin. Check for traps, its rigged. I roll high enough (REALLY high) to recognize its rigged to trigger Fireball. Disarm it. Rolled VERY high again. By my calculation, its an 8th level Fireball. I would've died. Since I rolled high enough, I was able to bypass the trap without entirely disarming it.

Get to the vampire, who appears as an illusion. He just wants to be left alone. Offers to strike a deal. Paladin won't have any of it, wants to murder it now. I'm willing to entertain things, mostly buying time as I come up with an actual plan.

I'm insanely fast. Vampire is hundreds of years old.

"You're from a time when your word really MEANT something, right?"
"Yes, few still follow the old ways. I may be a creature of the night, but there's still SOME sense of honor in me."
"Ok. Let's race."
"Pardon?"
"A race. From the door to the end of the hallway. First there wins. I win, we fight. You win? I'll help you kill this Paladin, and I agree to leave you alone afterward. You can do whatever you like."
"Hmm.... Deal."

Paladin is LIVID. But due to a debt to me, is honor-bound to essentially do nothing. Like a Wookiee life debt or something.

We get to the doorway. Vampire appears.

"I have to make sure its you. Ok?"
"Of course."
-I poke the Vampire. Its him.-

The Vampire had a sense of honor. The Paladin lived by honor.

Me, to DM: "I activate the Fireball trap."

I had no honor. :smallbiggrin:

Went out in a blaze of glory, and weakened the Vampire enough for the Paladin to rush in and finish it off.

Baad007
2018-05-02, 03:59 PM
Doing Hoard of the Dragon Queen in AL and we get to Castle Naerytar or whatever its called. We get outside and convince the lizard people to stay out of the fight after bribing them. Our ranger befriends one of the lizard people's giant lizards and uses it as a mount. My character has a Berserker Axe from Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan that has the spell Passwall, so we have the ranger climb up the side of the castle and drop a rope for us to climb up so I can use Passwall which puts us in one of the leader's bedroom. Player that convinced the lizard people into a truce proceeds to do all sorts of unmentionable things to her possessions before proceeding down the stairs where he Nat 20s a deception check saying he is a messenger from Tiamat sent here to correct the mistakes she is making saying we were teleported here by Tiamat herself. Turns out that person was away from the castle at the moment so we were led to another guy's office. This guy has a bird who our so-called "Messenger of Tiamat" could not convince to like him so he Nat-20s another persuasion check to have the bird cooked for a feast in Tiamat's honor. We decide we want to take a rest since the 2nd in command isn't here yet so we run into a Red Wizard who agrees to let us rest in his room of the keep. We are woken up by an angry Dragonkin leader and a furiously Birdless 2nd in command who demand to know who we are and what our purpose is. They allow the Red Wizard to leave and we roll initiative because I refuse to surrender because all this leadership is super conveniently grouped up (Worth Mentioning now: I'm playing a 7th level Tempest Cleric) at the door of the room with their flunkies behind them. I roll highest initiative so I uprank Shatter to 3rd level and Channel Divinity to maximize the damage roll and the bosses and a couple underling fail their saves leaving the leaders bloody and some of the minions dead in one shot. The leaders get one turn before the rest of the party kills them and the underlings run away once the leaders go down. I've never seen our DM get so increasingly flustered but laughs were had by all.

Thelownlycheese
2018-05-02, 04:09 PM
In my first campaign our paladin had some crazy plans. We were making our way through a old manor looking for the long lost treasure of its creator. They had just found a trap door into the cellars and were exploring them. They came to a room were there were about thirty drinking kobolds. Now the players were level one, and in no shape for this fight. The fight was going badly even though the kobolds were drunk. This was due to the kobolds were of a superior breed that a dark wizard was making. Their skin was especially thick. This made their armor class much better. The fight was going bad so are paladin took some dead kobolds and started skinning them. We had no idea what he was doing but three rounds later once they were skinned he said he was making a net. The paladin threw it over the other kobolds and pinned 5 of them down and it turned the tide. We laughed so hard when our paladin was struck down seconds later by a kobold who rolled a critical on a attack and destroyed the kobold skin net. It was a good idea thought.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-02, 06:26 PM
During a crazy beach battle, having my Ranger punt a small summoned octopus into the Big evil Guy’s face from 60 yards.

Rolled a Nat 20, and led to the discussion of what the crit multiplier should be for Octopus to face.

DRD1812
2018-05-02, 07:29 PM
During a crazy beach battle, having my Ranger punt a small summoned octopus into the Big evil Guy’s face from 60 yards.

Rolled a Nat 20, and led to the discussion of what the crit multiplier should be for Octopus to face.

It should be x8. Only acceptable answer.

Slurm Browley
2018-05-03, 10:46 AM
I've got one plan that worked better than I could have hoped and one that very nearly went very, VERY wrong.

As background, I play a human Open Hand monk in SKT. These would have happened around levels 5 and 6, respectively.

1. "I love it when a plan comes together"

We were in a town that was being attacked by vampires and the undead (a tie-in to the DM's previous run of Strahd). I had missed the previous session, so everyone else in the party was in taverns and the like when I stroll into town and see the attack. A successful perception check showed me that there was a lich in front of a portal, through which the undead were arriving. I had burned a stun on the lead vampire and ran to try to deal with the lich. I take a couple of whacks with my Mace of Ddisruption but couldn't get a stun off, so I go into Flurry of Blows.

First strike- miss. Second strike- hit, so I get to use my subclass flurry feature (STR save to avoid being shoved OR DEX to avoid being prone OR take no reactions). "Okay, the lich needs to make a DEX-" (I remember that the lich is standing right in front of the portal) "-wait, make that a STR save." The lich fails, gets knocked into the portal, and, due to some unlucky rolls, he couldn't get out. The portal collapses, and the buffs he was giving the undead go away.

2. "I've made a huge mistake."

We're fighting a demon lord avatar and its minions. Our druid has befriended a treant that just killed a... giant scorpion cat? I can't remember the monster name, unfortunately [EDIT: Shoosuva! That was the name.]. Anyway, we're running short of session time, so we get a last shot to try to take out the avatar. I go full Leeroy Jenkins and use Step of the Wind to run across the field, whereupon I plan to deal some damage with my Mace of Disruption.

First attack- miss.
Second attack- miss.

I'm now out of movement, actions, and bonus actions, and I'm stuck right next to this thing. The druid has the treant throw the scorpion cat [EDIT: Shoosuva.] at the avatar. I make the DEX save to dodge, and (thanks to some RNG magic) the scorpion cat goes crazy attacking the avatar. Then, the Blackguard NPC traveling with us comes from behind me to finish the job, thoroughly saving my bacon.

DeTess
2018-05-03, 11:02 AM
This one happened at the end of a shadowrun campaign. Our characters had been through some major crap at that point, and for various reasons we'd decided we needed a big score so we could retire, or at least lie low for a decade or so. We where in Hong Kong at that point, having followed the trail of the being responsible for most of our problems, but unfortunately we learned that that being was a dragon. any sane person would have gotten out of there after learning about this, but instead I pretty much unilaterally decided killing the dragon was going to be our big score, somehow.

Finding a way to get paid once for killing a dragon was easy. Aztechnology had both a big office in Hong-Kong and a standing bounty for dragon corpses. However, this bounty was nowhere near high enough for us to retire in luxury, so we needed a way to get paid twice. Our first plan was to alter the dragons will to make us the sole benificiaries of its fortune, but unfortunately the will was just ever so slightly out of reach (ie: on the moon). Then, during the meal before the dragon-killing session was about to start, I came with an idea: kill the dragon in such a spectacular fashion that we could sell the recording of it for massive profit. Naturally, everyone agreed that this was the dumbest plan ever.

So, about an hour later we'd taken possession of a 20ft tall mech, had turned Hong-Kong's anti-air defense against the dragon to keep it down on the ground, and proceeded to have a city-wrecking monster battle which even involved a massively powerful spirit shaped like Godzilla himself. We'd managed to sell the movie rights before the fight got started, and once we where done (leaving the dragon corpse embedded in the Aztechnology building and most of hong-kong a wrecked ruin) we retired to a life of luxury in an all inclusive resort on the moon, which was conveniently out of reach of any of the authorities out for our blood.

It was the daftest, most ridiculous plan in a campaign that had been pretty serious up to that point, but it worked beautifully.

Maelynn
2018-05-03, 04:56 PM
It's not quite the epic tale as I've seen described above, but it's one of my most memorable fights.

At some point our party was ambushed in a small courtyard with a fountain. We were attacked by several mobs (forgot which kind, might've been Orcs) and 2 huge Fire Elementals.

As I was playing a Dwarf Barbarian, I was rather limited in my options. Melee combat caused me to burn, and I held all but 4 javelins - which I couldn't keep tossing without having to spend a lot of moves, picking them back up from all over the courtyard. I looked wistfully at the fountain, wondering if I could somehow use the water as a weapon. Like, shove the elemental in or something.

Then I got an idea. I was the keepers of the party's finances, which included safekeeping our Bag of Holding. I ran to a corner of the courtyard, turned the bag inside out to dump all the contents, put it back the right way and ran to the fountain. I plunged the bag in and let it fill up with water. On the next move, I aimed the bag opening at the Fire Elemental and turned it inside out, engulfing it in quite a lot of water.

The DM wanted to calculate exactly how much damage it would do. He took the max content of the bag, converted the cubic feet to gallons, and checked how much damage a gallon would do. Half his face was buried behind the DMG as he checked, making it all the more funny to see his eyes widen as he muttered "whoa... how much?!"

Let's just say I one-shotted the Fire Elemental. With just a 'teeny' bit of overkill... xD

MagneticKitty
2018-05-04, 11:59 AM
We were tasked to sneak in and assassinate this corrupt politician.
Our party consisted of vengence paladin (me), former slave fighter, raised by wolves moon druid, wild magic sorc, and rogue. Half the group was to sneak in as guests and the other half that was not good at talking or stealth were to use the sewers. So the group face sorc snuck in with the moon druid posing as his slave.. of course..
And the rest snuck in through the kitchen basement sewer entry. We ended up with the druid hiding under the politicians bed in wait and killing him while we were deep in enemy territory and everyone was getting ready for bed. Then we had to escape the mansion. The panther moon druid got shot by our sorc with chain lighting miss fire wild magic when druid accidentally surprised him... And we still managed to escape. Not sure how. Everything went wrong in exactly the right way

Tectorman
2018-05-04, 09:02 PM
This is from Rise of Tiamat, so don't look if you (are/are going to be) playing that.

We're in a cavern behind a waterfall, we've done a little scouting (Pass Without Trace is a wonderful thing) and found two enemy groups: an encampment of dragon cultists at a higher elevation within the cavern and a trio/sextet of ettins behind a rock wall. Neither is aware of us; in fact, the dragon cultists are mostly asleep with just a few on watch. Also in the cavern is a pool of water.

And our Warlock has Arcane Gate.

One Portal reference later, we've washed the dragon cultists out of their own camp, unarmed and unarmored save for their commander and caster. Cue our Barbarian named Guts (yes, inspired by that Guts) jumping into the pool to outflank them.

After they're all dead, we investigate the remains of their camp and find an alter dedicated to, of all entities, the patron goddess of waterfalls. We didn't even know this and we still accidentally ended up making a blood sacrifice to her.

druid91
2018-05-04, 09:41 PM
Once I was playing a Dwarven Abjuration Wizard. The party got ambushed by Mephits, and we were getting messed up. A couple of us were down, and most of us that were still up were nearing being down. I was out of spells....

So I grabbed one of the nearby Mephits by the throat, which we had noticed exploded on death. Grappling it. Then proceeded to leap off the top of our carriage where I'd been standing, slam dunking the grappled mephit into the other as an improvised weapon. Doing enough damage to kill the grappled one, which promptly exploded, knocking out the last of my shields and still taking me down to 0.... but also managed to take out that cluster of mephits, leaving only one flank for the remainder of the party to deal with.

Surprisingly I managed to survive that more or less intact. Though good ole Oscar's beard hairs were singed.

That Wizard did a LOT of grappling. For a wizard.

MadBear
2018-05-04, 10:00 PM
My proudest moment was during a game of Legend of the 5 rings. I was playing as a memeber of the Scorpion clan (Super unhonorable) who was pressured into a duel with a member of the Lion clan (Super honorable) who was far and away a superior swordsmen to me. Backed into a corner I accepted, and later that night I went to a tea house where I bragged loudly and often to my friends how I would poison my blade in order to win the match (a very Scorpion thing to do), making sure that others in the area could overhear this conversation.

Then, in the dead of night I snuck into the Lion clans barracks, poisoned his blade, and left without leaving a trace.

The next day before the match, the Lion clansmen demanded that my blade be inspected for poison. I refused at first, and stated I'd only relent if both of our blades be checked. A seconds too late the Lion clansmen realized the error of his ways as he was ousted from his clan for dishonorably using poison. By far the best moment for that character.

iceman10058
2018-05-05, 06:25 AM
I hid and used minor Illusion around the town and convinced the enemy troops that the whole town was about to be raised by drow.

SociopathFriend
2018-05-06, 09:38 PM
I'm unsure where to the draw the line between "plan" and "series of unlikely events that happened to work". I feel the distinction is important yet very, very vague in D&D.

Surfing down a mountain in a folding boat would probably take the cake purely because it's the only one I can remember that was remotely coherent as a 'plan'.

Alex Cadle
2018-05-11, 10:11 AM
Then, to make things even more ridiculous, various spells from a strange priestess lady get cast on the cub, turning it into an adult, and a half-dragon, and we get our new friend to carry around our carnival wagon.:

Actually balthasaurus if you don't remember lurcs and I turned her into a half dragon when we became gods. The spells aged the cub into an adult