PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A The Divine Agent

kuhaica
2018-05-02, 10:17 AM
Hello, so I've added this class to one of my BBEGs in a campaign that I'm currently running due to it fitting thematically and some of the abilities are quite strong. I think the strongest being the Godly gift which is gained at 3rd 6th and 9th level. This said I would like some help clarifying the limitations of it.

Godly Gift: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, the deity bestows on the divine agent a gift. Each deity's gift varies, but it is usually the ability to use a spell from one of the divine agent's domains as a spell-like ability. The deity offers a spell of the divine agent's level or lower. In other words, a 3rd-level divine agent would gain one of her 1st-level, 2nd-level, or 3rd-level domain spells as a spell-like ability The divine agent may use this ability once per day. The spell-like ability functions as a spell cast by a cleric of a level equal to the divine agent's character level.

Is the ability itself and while the aspect of turning spells from domain lists into Spell Like Abilities is easy to understand. What I want to be clarified is two-fold.

One. What is the limit for the spells? As 1/day Wish at 9th level sounds to be a little ridiculous. And I can't find anything regarding this.

Two. What else could be gained/given from this as it says "Usually the ability to use a spell from one of the divine agent's domains as a spell-like ability" not that it must be that.

Any help is appreciated

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-02, 03:18 PM
1) No limit. 1/day Wish and Miracle are options.
2) Ask the DM (which is you). Stat bonuses, SU or EX abilities you judge to be worth 3rd/6th/9th level spells.

A particularly good deity might give a saint's protective aura while a LE may give a devil's talent for seeing through all darkness.

tyckspoon
2018-05-02, 03:46 PM
One. What is the limit for the spells? As 1/day Wish at 9th level sounds to be a little ridiculous. And I can't find anything regarding this.

There's probably some early-entry nonsense you could get up to, but keep in mind it's a prestige class. So the actual level you get that ability is whatever level you entered at +9 - for 'intended' entry (IE, something like straight class Cleric. Paladins have it worse, because you have to get to 2nd level spells as well) you have to be level 6 (BAB+4) to qualify. That means you get your 1/day Level 9 spell SLA at character level 15. Only two levels before you would be able to cast levels 9 spells anyway as a full caster.. which you will never be able to do as a Divine Agent, because it's only a half-casting progression class. So sure, SLA Miracle and Gate 1/day are pretty nifty, but they're still not as nifty as actually casting those spells yourself.

kuhaica
2018-05-03, 10:06 AM
1) No limit. 1/day Wish and Miracle are options.
2) Ask the DM (which is you). Stat bonuses, SU or EX abilities you judge to be worth 3rd/6th/9th level spells.

A particularly good deity might give a saint's protective aura while a LE may give a devil's talent for seeing through all darkness.

Alright, fair enough I'll look at some of the EX abillites that exist.

There's probably some early-entry nonsense you could get up to, but keep in mind it's a prestige class. So the actual level you get that ability is whatever level you entered at +9 - for 'intended' entry (IE, something like straight class Cleric. Paladins have it worse, because you have to get to 2nd level spells as well) you have to be level 6 (BAB+4) to qualify. That means you get your 1/day Level 9 spell SLA at character level 15. Only two levels before you would be able to cast levels 9 spells anyway as a full caster.. which you will never be able to do as a Divine Agent, because it's only a half-casting progression class. So sure, SLA Miracle and Gate 1/day are pretty nifty, but they're still not as nifty as actually casting those spells yourself.

I think its more benifital as theres no cost, espically with Miricals and Wish. But I do see your point, making a character using Divine Agent would be intresting but not the best. Thanks for the comment non alis.