PDA

View Full Version : Druid Bladesinger proposal, is it OK or unbalanced?

jaappleton
2018-05-02, 10:26 AM
I'm looking to present an idea to my DM, and before I do, I want to run it by you guys to see if I'll get laughed at. :smalltongue:

So, I don't think its any secret that the Wizard spell list is... Powerful, and encompasses a LOT. And its pretty far from the Druid list. I'm essentially looking for a martial Druid, at the end of this.

So I have two ideas:

A) Be a Bladesinger, and swap the Wizard list for the Druid list. I lose a lot of the blasty-ness of the Wizard, and some of its amazing defensive spells like Mirror Image and Shield, but I gain a lot of crowd control and healing. As a d6 HD class.

B) Take Bladesinging, and add it to the Druid as a new Circle. I'd be d8 HD, still using the Druid spell list, with Wisdom based Bladesinging. And Bladesong runs off uses of Wild Shape, similar to the Circle of Spores burning Wild Shape to do Symbiotic Entity.

Which is the more balanced route?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-02, 10:39 AM
Without being as familiar with either class as I'd like, I'd be inclined to allow either option, but I'm on the permissive end of DMing. With the first option, I'd also be fine with allowing casting and any other relevant abilities to run off Wis.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-02, 10:53 AM
Option A would be perfectly fine, so long as you agree to never select a healing spell as either of your Spell Mastery choices.

Seekergeek
2018-05-02, 10:54 AM
Personally, I'd lean in to the bladesinging druid over the druid spell list having bladesinger if only because the choice to retain wild shape as an option is more interesting. I've homebrewed up something similar which hasn't seen play, but that my table all agreed looked balanced enough.

djreynolds
2018-05-02, 11:46 AM
That is cool idea.
If bladesingers are so ancient.
Than each elven community, would have their own. Be it wood elves and high elves and drow.
Maybe wood elves use more nature stuff like moon beam and ensnaring strike or thorn whip.

IMO, I would say the cheetah clan uses the grassland druid stuff and so on

But no cheesing wisdom and shillelagh and polearm this or monk that

RSP
2018-05-02, 11:50 AM
I'm looking to present an idea to my DM, and before I do, I want to run it by you guys to see if I'll get laughed at. :smalltongue:

So, I don't think its any secret that the Wizard spell list is... Powerful, and encompasses a LOT. And its pretty far from the Druid list. I'm essentially looking for a martial Druid, at the end of this.

So I have two ideas:

A) Be a Bladesinger, and swap the Wizard list for the Druid list. I lose a lot of the blasty-ness of the Wizard, and some of its amazing defensive spells like Mirror Image and Shield, but I gain a lot of crowd control and healing. As a d6 HD class.

B) Take Bladesinging, and add it to the Druid as a new Circle. I'd be d8 HD, still using the Druid spell list, with Wisdom based Bladesinging. And Bladesong runs off uses of Wild Shape, similar to the Circle of Spores burning Wild Shape to do Symbiotic Entity.

Which is the more balanced route?

I like the idea, but as a DM, I'd be hesitant to allow BS to overlap with WS. I think either build would be workable, though.

jaappleton
2018-05-02, 12:03 PM
That is cool idea.
If bladesingers are so ancient.
Than each elven community, would have their own. Be it wood elves and high elves and drow.
Maybe wood elves use more nature stuff like moon beam and ensnaring strike or thorn whip.

IMO, I would say the cheetah clan uses the grassland druid stuff and so on

But no cheesing wisdom and shillelagh and polearm this or monk that

An incredibly valid point. I'd personally be using a Warhammer, but putting the Bladesinger archetype into a Druid Circle means that you could use Wisdom for everything. And while its also possible as a Hexblade to have your casting stat AND attack stat the same, its massively different spell lists which is pretty damn carefully selected (Warlock) because of its casting style.