PDA

View Full Version : Hex warrior

Whit
2018-05-02, 04:40 PM
Lvl 1 if you later gain the pact of the blade feature this benefit extends to every pact weapon yiu conjoure no matter the weapon type ?
Does this mean you can get two handed pact weapons ? And if not is there a way

Sception
2018-05-02, 04:46 PM
You can already get two handed pact weapons. Hex Warrior lets you use your charisma modifier instead of your strength modifier when attacking with them.

Asmotherion
2018-05-02, 04:47 PM
Yes. Unlike the UA version, you can make a Greatsword with your Pact of the Blade, and still profit. You also get to apply it to an other weapon of your choice, through the original way, making Dual Wielding also a viable option instead (mostly in case you're not a Shield Man, for whatever reason).

Vogie
2018-05-02, 07:48 PM
Yes, and if you pick up Improved Pact weapon invocation, you can create bows & crossbows as well, in addition to making it a +1 weapon that acts as a spellcasting focus.

The only way to make a bow your pact weapon prior to that invocation is finding a magic bow and going through the ritual to make it your pact weapon.

Whit
2018-05-02, 09:05 PM
But what about using pact of the blade to CREATE a two handed weapon

MeeposFire
2018-05-02, 09:08 PM
But what about using pact of the blade to CREATE a two handed weapon

Pact of the blade allows a hexblade to use their cha mod instead of str on two handed weapons. WIthout pact of the blade you only can do that with one handed weapons.

Malifice
2018-05-02, 09:23 PM
Lvl 1 if you later gain the pact of the blade feature this benefit extends to every pact weapon yiu conjoure no matter the weapon type ?
Does this mean you can get two handed pact weapons ? And if not is there a way

Yes. At 3rd level if you take the pact of the blade, and conjure a 2 handed heavy weapon with it, you can attune to that weapon with Hex warrior, adding Cha to hit and damage with it.

Rhaegar14
2018-05-02, 09:54 PM
Yes. At 3rd level if you take the pact of the blade, and conjure a 2 handed heavy weapon with it, you can attune to that weapon with Hex warrior, adding Cha to hit and damage with it.

You actually don't even need to attune. "If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type." It's in addition to the other weapon you can attune (which, as Asmotherion pointed out, allows Cha-based dual wielding).

Malifice
2018-05-02, 09:59 PM
You actually don't even need to attune. "If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type." It's in addition to the other weapon you can attune (which, as Asmotherion pointed out, allows Cha-based dual wielding).

By my reading, the words 'this benefit' in the text refers to the preceding ability (which requires attunement),

Rhaegar14
2018-05-02, 10:06 PM
By my reading, the words 'this benefit' in the text refers to the preceding ability (which requires attunement),

I'm pretty sure they would have used the word "any" if that was the intent. "Every pact weapon you conjure" to me implies that as soon as you take the action to conjure any kind of pact weapon the benefit immediately applies, in addition to the other weapon. I do agree that the wording is pretty ambiguous and probably subject to DM interpretation, though.

Malifice
2018-05-02, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they would have used the word "any" if that was the intent. "Every pact weapon you conjure" to me implies that as soon as you take the action to conjure any kind of pact weapon the benefit immediately applies, in addition to the other weapon. I do agree that the wording is pretty ambiguous and probably subject to DM interpretation, though.

Practically speaking I dare say few DMs care that much. If you're a hexblade bladelock then you get +Cha to hit and damage with your pact weapon from 3rd level, regardless of what it is, and regardless of fluffy attunement.

Rhaegar14
2018-05-02, 10:19 PM
Practically speaking I dare say few DMs care that much. If you're a hexblade bladelock then you get +Cha to hit and damage with your pact weapon from 3rd level, regardless of what it is, and regardless of fluffy attunement.

The actual mechanical impact is whether a hypothetical dual-wielding bladelock can use their Charisma with their off-hand weapon, which is not a pact weapon because you can only have one of those at a time. So it really comes down to whether the DM wants to allow that specifically. I agree that it really doesn't matter in any other case.

Sception
2018-05-02, 11:25 PM
Considering how dual wielding isn't even a particularly great fighting style for hexblades, stretching an arguably ambiguous rule just to disallow a players aestgetic vision for their character would strike me as poor form on the dm's part.