PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Built A Catio?

Palanan
2018-05-02, 05:40 PM
I’ve started to get interested in the catio concept, since my cats yearn to go outdoors, but for a host of reasons I don’t want to let them wander loose.

The catio seems like a good compromise, but I don’t know anyone who actually has one. I know there are plans available for purchase, but I don’t want to spend money on something when I don’t know if it’s the right design for my situation.

So, has anyone built one of these? Is is something that a regular handyman could manage, or does it take some higher-level building skills?

AuthorGirl
2018-05-02, 05:48 PM
My grandparents built one! I can take some pictures of it if you'd like ideas. We've had it for several years and it's an awesome solution.

Palanan
2018-05-02, 05:53 PM
I'd love to see those photos, thanks.

About how much area does it enclose? And does it have a concrete pad, or bare earth and/or grass?

NRSASD
2018-05-04, 10:00 AM
Please do! My fiance and I are planning on building one very soon!

Palanan
2018-05-08, 09:01 PM
So...anyone else?

Algeh
2018-05-09, 10:13 AM
I have not built one, for I have no cats. (I have cat allergies instead, which are much less fun.)

However, I know in my area that one of the cat rescue organizations pairs with one of the local bird/wildlife organizations to do a ticketed "catio tour" each year (like a fancy/historic home tour, but for catios) so you can go see a bunch of people's catios and find out more about them.

I have no idea if this is one of those things that only insufferable hipster cities like the one I'm near have, or if most cities have such tours now, but it might be possible to go look at some in person that way.

It's also possible that if you have a local hardware/building supply store that does workshops that they'd have one on the subject.

AuthorGirl
2018-05-09, 10:23 AM
*sees thread title*

*remembers the pictures*

I'll have those for you by tomorrow!

AMFV
2018-05-10, 07:42 PM
Well I haven't built a catio, but I am a carpenter, so I know a thing or two about building. A lot depends on what kind of space you're working. Are you building something that is in a space where you can dig? What size do you want, it looks like they move from very small to about 8' by 8'.

Palanan
2018-05-16, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by AMFV
Well I haven't built a catio, but I am a carpenter, so I know a thing or two about building. A lot depends on what kind of space you're working. Are you building something that is in a space where you can dig? What size do you want, it looks like they move from very small to about 8' by 8'.

Actually I’m thinking something a little larger, about 10’ x 10’. This will be adjacent to the wall of a house, extending into the backyard. Not sure if I want a concrete pad—mainly because I’m having a bear of a time getting a non-ludicrous estimate for concrete pads, but also because the cats would probably like to have grass to poke around in.

I’m not looking for anything complicated, just an enclosed space, but I really don’t know how best to enclose it. I assume a wooden frame with screen or mesh, but exactly what and how are beyond me.

SodaQueen
2018-05-16, 11:16 PM
I haven't made an official catio but I did have some success using outdoor blinds to screen in the porch of my old apartment. Used chickenwire on the rails near the bottom and it worked great. Both my cats and I had a place to go outdoor with lots of privacy.

AMFV
2018-05-17, 07:38 PM
Actually I’m thinking something a little larger, about 10’ x 10’. This will be adjacent to the wall of a house, extending into the backyard. Not sure if I want a concrete pad—mainly because I’m having a bear of a time getting a non-ludicrous estimate for concrete pads, but also because the cats would probably like to have grass to poke around in.

I’m not looking for anything complicated, just an enclosed space, but I really don’t know how best to enclose it. I assume a wooden frame with screen or mesh, but exactly what and how are beyond me.

10 x 10 is a pretty big space for a concrete pad. So you're looking at spending a bit of money. I would personally not go that route. The main purpose of it is to avoid things getting in or getting out which you can do without that. Here's what I would do for the project.

1.) Excavate a 10ish by 10ish area, go down maybe a foot, but not crazy far, this is just to put down mesh that will stop animals from getting in. This also will allow you to replant the area with plants that are not harmful to cats, which is also a big problem. You'll want to dig around the area for posts and potentially a short little concrete wall, which I'd use as the foundation wall for it.

2.) Put down mesh over the whole area. You'll want this to extend past the posts for your fencing or into where your concrete wall is going to go. You'll want a fine enough mesh down here that it's going to prevent anything from getting into it. Rats, mice, think things that are quite small and adept at squeezing.

3.) Put down your posts and (if you're doing this) pour your concrete wall. You'll probably want the grade for your wall to be a little bit above the grade that things naturally are. If you aren't doing a wall you'll want to set up a fence line that go slightly lower than your mesh line, so that way nothing can get in that way. You want want to build the fence line all the way up though, because that will make backfilling difficult.

4.) Backfill the dirt into the excavated area. This would be a good time to look at seeding the area with something you know won't be harmful to your kitties.

5.) Finish building the frame around the area use your posts as a base and build up the box frame around it. I would make an area that's potentially roofed so that the cats can get out of the weather, make sure that it's sloped somewhat, no reason to use a fancy roof, sheet should be fine.

6.) Complete the meshing process, you'll want to have a door or gate built at this point, and you'll want to have your connection to the regular house set up. And then you're probably done.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything here.

Palanan
2018-05-20, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by AMFV
Let me know if you have any questions about anything here.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’m sure I’ll have questions about everything. :smallsmile:

Originally Posted by AuthorGirl
*sees thread title*

*remembers the pictures*

I'll have those for you by tomorrow!

sigh.

Sometimes I lie awake at night, staring at the ceiling, yearning with all my soul for someone to send me pictures of their catio.

I usually fall asleep at dawn, tears trickling down to my pillow. No one ever sends me pictures of their catio.

WarKitty
2018-05-28, 12:31 PM
Now I'm interested. I don't really need a proper catio though so much as a pen suitable for leaving a cat in if needed for a few hours.

Palanan
2018-05-30, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by WarKitty
I don't really need a proper catio though so much as a pen suitable for leaving a cat in if needed for a few hours.

It depends on the size and age of the cat, but we've had really good success with a camel tent (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZHJA2GG/). It's about six feet by three feet, and we used it for an elderly kitty who couldn't be trusted out on the carpet.

She died just before Christmas, and since then I've been using the tent as a "mariposario," an outdoors enclosure for raising butterflies. I have a monarch that's about to emerge later today or tomorrow. The tent might look a little cheapie, but it's surprisingly good quality and holds up well in the rain. Works equally well indoors or out in the yard, and it's relatively easy to scrub out if you have a cat with issues, like our elderly cat did.

Originally Posted by AuthorGirl
*promises, promises*

*squinty judgy eyes*

:smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2018-05-30, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEM1Zelai1k

AuthorGirl
2018-05-30, 11:46 AM
*squinty judgy eyes*

:smalltongue:

*sigh* you are right in using your squinty judgy eyes. I've somehow locked myself out of my laptop's camera app (about to make a thread in the Grumpy Tech subforum, because my techie brother can't figure out what I did).

All I did was try to take a picture! I did nothing to the privacy settings that I'm aware of! This makes no sense!

Palanan
2018-06-03, 08:55 AM
Just rolling through with the windows down, giving you a judgy look as I go by.

WarKitty
2018-06-03, 09:04 AM
We should try a different tactic.

Hi, I want a playpen:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/34266486_10100605310600054_616017315200237568_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=b50a614840860a40a57b83a4bf8da043&oe=5B7BEC64

Talwar
2018-06-06, 09:08 PM
I haven't built a catio, but have bodged together pens for poultry and rabbits over the years, so a few random thoughts:

-The hexagonal chicken mesh is flimsy stuff. I've had raccoons and fishers rip it apart too quickly. Heavier gauge square fencing - anywhere from 1" square to 2"x4" rectangles - will be sturdier (although more expensive).

-Don't skimp on whatever you're using to attach the mesh/fencing to the framework. If a critter starts climbing up the fence and it's only held in place by a couple of staples on each side, it'll just pop them out and the intact fencing will fall away.

-Square patio stones might make for an easier floor within the catio. Level the ground, lay them down. Nothing's digging through them, nobody's getting dirty feet, and it's easy enough to remove if the catio needs to move or be dismantled later on.

-Consider a solid wall to block whatever the prevailing winds are.

-If the roof is large enough, consider sloping it and adding a gutter for rainwater collection. Might be useful for gardening or whatever.