PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Creating a multi stage boss.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-02, 09:11 PM
Hey. So this is a complete experiment, and it will almost certainly fail, but if it doesn't... Good. If it's not a total failure, I plan on expanding this too a dungeon that my players will experience... eventually.
If you are one of those players, though none of you use this site yet, don't look. Look at my username, you know who I am players.
Without further ado, this is late at night, so i'll just do one stage.

This is basically a fusion of a Lich and a Death Knight. Not too hard to create.
Hit Points: 180 (19d8+95)
Lich Knight
Medium Undead
Any evil alignment.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
20 (+5) 16 (+3) 20 (+5) 20 (+5) 16 (+3) 18 (+4)
Saving Throws: Con +10, Int +12, Wis +9, Dex +6, Cha +10.
Damage Resistance Cold, Lightning, piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing from nonmagical attacks.
Damage Immunities: Necrotic, poison.
Condition Immunities: Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Poisoned.
Senses: Truesight 120 Ft, Darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 19.
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Plus Up To Five Other Languages.
Challenge: Later.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If the Lich Knight fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Undead Nature. A Lich Knight doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
Rejuvenation. If it has a phylactery, a destroyed Lich Knight gains a new body in 1d10 days, regaining all its hit points and becoming active again. The new body appears within 5 feet of the phylactery.
Magic Resistance. The Lich Knight has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Marshal Undead. Unless the Lich Knight is incapacitated, it and undead creatures of its choice within 60 feet of it have advantage on saving throws against features that turn undead.
Turn Resistance: The lich has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns Undead.

Spellcasting: The Lich Knight is an 20th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). The Lich Knight has the following spells functioning as Wizard Spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost.
• 1st level (8 slots): Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Shield, Thunderwave, Command, Compelled Duel, Searing Smite.
• 2nd level (6 slots): Detect Thoughts, Invisibility, Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Hold Person, Magic Weapon.
• 3rd level (6 slots): Animate Dead, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fireball, Elemental Weapon.
• 4th level (6 slots): Blight, Dimension Door, Banishment, Staggering Smite.
• 5th level (5 slots): Cloudkill, Scrying, Destructive Wave (necrotic).
• 6th level (3 slots): Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability
• 7th level (2 slots): Finger of Death, Plane Shift
• 8th level (1 slot): Dominate Monster, Power Word Stun
• 9th level (1 slot): Power Word Kill

Actions:

Multiattack. The Lich Knight makes three longsword attacks, or Paralyzing Touch attacks, or any combination of the two.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage, or 10 (1d10 + 5) slashing damage if used with two hands, plus 18 (4d8) necrotic damage.

Paralyzing Touch: Melee Spell Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) cold damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be Paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Hellfire Orb (1/rest). The Lich Knight hurls a magical ball of fire that explodes at a point it can see within 120 feet of it. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 35 (10d6) fire damage and 35 (10d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Reactions

Parry. The Lich Knight adds 6 to its AC against one melee attack that would hit it. To do so, the death knight must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

Legendary Actions
Can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Spent legendary actions are regained at the start of each turn.

Cantrip: The Lich Knight casts a cantrip.

Paralyzing Touch (Costs 2 Actions): The Lich Knight uses its Paralyzing Touch.

Longsword Attack: (Costs 2 Actions) The Lich Knight makes two longsword attacks.

Frightening Gaze (Costs 2 Actions): The Lich Knight fixes its gaze on one creature it can see within 10 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become Frightened for 1 minute. The Frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to the Lich Knight's gaze for the next 24 hours.

Disrupt Life (Costs 3 Actions): Each non-undead creature within 20 feet of the Lich Knight must make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Yeah, a pretty lazy creature. But they'll be more too come.

Tiny undead, neutral evil

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)

Hit Points 80 (20d4)

Speed 0 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
1 (-5) 20 (+5) 10 (0) 20 (+5) 17 (+3) 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Con +6, Int +11, Wis +9, Cha +11

Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magic weapons

Damage Immunities necrotic, poison, psychic, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons

Condition Immunities charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, stunned

Senses truesight 120 ft.

Challenge 18 (20,000 XP)

Avoidance. If the demilich is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the demilich fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Turn Immunity. The demilich is immune to effects that turn undead.

Reconstitution. If the Demi-lich manages to regenerate up to 20 HP above it's hit point maximum, (Also known as dealing twenty damage while on eighty health,) it returns too it's previous Lich Knight form at 50 HP.

Actions

Howl (Recharge 5-6). The demilich emits a bloodcurdling howl. Each creature within 30 feet of the demilich that can hear the howl must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become frightened and become vulnerable to necrotic damage for 2d6 turns. The victims may make an additional saving throw at the end of every other third turn. On a successful save, the creature is simply frightened and may make an additional save at the end of every other turn.

Life Drain. The demilich targets up to three creatures that it can see within 10 feet of it. Each target must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or take 21 (6d6) necrotic damage, and the demilich regains hit points equal to the total damage dealt to all targets.

Legendary Actions

The demilich can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The demilich regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Flight. The demilich flies up to half its flying speed.

Cloud of Dust. The demilich magically swirls its dusty remains. Each creature within 10 feet of the demilich, including around a corner, must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of the demilich’s next turn. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to this effect until the end of the demilich’s next turn.

Energy Drain (Costs 2 Actions). Each creature with in 30 feet of the demilich must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature’s hit point maximum is magically reduced by 10 (3d6). If a creature’s hit point maximum is reduced to 0 by this effect, the creature dies. A creature’s hit point maximum can be restored with the greater restoration spell or similar magic.

Vile Curse (Costs 3 Actions). The demilich targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be magically cursed. Until the curse ends, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the curse on a success.

Okay. This creature was a bit absurd. I think i'll just give you a link to the original stats. Thank you to http://www.lomion.de/cmm/wraiking.php. Now I don't have to explain the lore, and you all understand what were dealing with here. This is meant to be a stand alone monster in addition to the multi-stage role. I'll translate a few of obscure parts of the stat block: -5 AC translates to 25 AC IN 5E TERMS. OKAY, THAT'S A LITTLE BIT CRAZY. THAC0 was To Hit Armor Class 0, meaning they have a +11 OKAY WHAT THE HECK DRAGON.

Wraith-king
Medium Undead, Neutral Evil.
Armor Class: 21.
Hit Points: 17d8+85.
Speed: 40 ft, 40 ft hover.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
20 18 18 17 15 18
Saving Throws: Dex +8, Wis +7, Cha +7, Con +7.
Damage: Immunities Piercing, Bludgeoning, and Slashing from non-magic weapons, Necrotic, Cold, Lightning.
Damage: Resistances Piercing, Bludgeoning, and Slashing.
Condition: Immunities Sleep, Charm, Prone, Polymorph, and other mind altering effects such as Confusion.
Senses: Truesight 120 feet.
Languages: The languages it spoke in life,
Challenge: (Later.)

Undead Nature. A Wraith-king doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
Magic Resistance. The Wraith-king has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Aura of Terror: Any creature that enters 30 ft. of the Wraith-king must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw, or be frightened and use all of their movement speed to run away from the Wraith-king.
Spellcasting: At will, the Wraith-king may cast Charm Person, Programmed Illusion, or Major Image, at 6th level at will, or Teleport once per day. The Wraith-king's spell save DC is 18.

Actions:
Multiattack: The Wraith-king makes two longsword attacks.
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (1d10 + 10) slashing damage if used with two hands, plus 18 (4d8) necrotic damage. Any creature killed by this attack is immediately raised as a Wraith.
(Any other ideas for actions?)

Legendary Actions:
Draining Gaze: Any creature subjected to the Wraith-king's gaze must make a DC 18 constitution saving throw, or gain one level of exhaustion. The Wraith-king may only use this legendary action once per turn. Any creature killed by this attack is immediately raised as a Wraith.
Longsword: The Wraith-king makes a Longsword attack.
Disrupt Life (Costs 2 Actions): Each non-undead creature within 20 feet of the Wraith-king must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Any creature killed by this attack is immediately raised as a Wraith.

Once all these statistics are done, i'll add in the boss and transition notes.

JNAProductions
2018-05-02, 09:38 PM
Neat idea. Looking forward to more.

Protato
2018-05-03, 11:16 AM
I still think having a minion or two for the sake of action economy would be good, even for a powerful boss, but that's just my experience at my tables. For the boss itself, the Lich Knight looks good, and I await the Demilich Modified and the Wraithking's statting out.

JeenLeen
2018-05-03, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing from the title the idea is that, as one form dies, another is taken. Would extra damage from killing one form bleed to the next? For example, if the Lich Knight was killed by being dropped to -5 HP, would the Demi-lich form start with 5 less HP than its max?

I think "yes" is good for fairness should a player wipe off the last few HP with a good crit. But be warned if your players have awesome damage output that they can't kill through a form. I had a 3-stage boss once in a Pathfinder, and the first player got 2 full attacks and just one-shotted the first two forms. (Part of the issue was I was lazy designing the boss, and didn't realize its HP was too few.)

I still think having a minion or two for the sake of action economy would be good, even for a powerful boss, but that's just my experience at my tables. For the boss itself, the Lich Knight looks good, and I await the Demilich Modified and the Wraithking's statting out.

Agreed. Even a few weak skeletons or zombies could help. Since bounded accuracy lets them at least have a chance of doing a few damage, it seems a worthwhile distraction. PCs can ignore it and risk a few damage each round, or use up resources to remove them from play.

If you want a fun, if sorta video-gamey mechanic, you could have one Legendary Action be to raise the undead yet more. It only uses it if all the undead are destroyed. Let the PCs choose between leaving 1 undead to ping at them, or taking them all out so the boss wastes an action rezzing its minions. (This would make more sense if it had some psychological compulsion to do so, so probably not applicable for an established boss in your campaign.)

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-04, 03:09 PM
Oh, I didn't explain this. Right.
This isn't a thing from my campaign, it's just an inspiration I got after reading the Wraith King. I wanted to update it, and got inspired to the multi-stage boss.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-22, 06:59 AM
Okay, finished off the Wraith-king. Would love any ideas on new actions to give it, as it's arsenal is basically: Three spells and a melee attack. I gave it an escape option to escape, a way to get a few more minions.
Maybe I should give it an action or legendary action of just plain old summoning more Wraiths?
Anyhow, next is the specific notes of transitions between phases and things unique to this thing as a multi-stage boss.