PDA

View Full Version : If a star falls...

Wampyr
2018-05-02, 09:27 PM
...what would an adventurer find at the impact site?

Malifice
2018-05-02, 09:30 PM
An actual star, not much seeing as the planet is destroyed.

A meteor? All kinds of cool things. I'd be half tempted to do an Aliens themed adventure.

JoeJ
2018-05-02, 10:04 PM
It depends. What are stars in that crystal sphere?

Naanomi
2018-05-02, 10:08 PM
It depends. What are stars in that crystal sphere?
Most (not all but most) only have a ‘sun’ and no real stars... they are sparkly bits on the sphere itself, or distorted images for things outside the sphere, or extraplanar phenomenon... although there are monsters that are living constellations for what it is worth (constellates... they have a ray 500,000 miles long and 1,000 mile diameter... their size is up to 100,000,000 square miles)

Outside of the safety of a Crystal Sphere there are a few ‘star-like’ phenomenon

Tetrasodium
2018-05-02, 10:13 PM

A dragonshard (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonshards#Siberys_dragonshards). Most likely a Siberyis shard that fell or somehow got ejected from the ring, but ymmv in other settings. Let them use it to power a magic item they have commissioned.

I find that dragonshards are wonderful treasure because players as a group can decide who gets it & work with an npc artificer to have something soecific after some back and forth suggestion & haggling

Rebonack
2018-05-02, 11:00 PM
The lore on what stars are in various D&D cosmologies are pretty inconsistent.

Before 4e and the Star Pact Warlock, I would have said that they're portals to the plane of radiance or fire on the inner surface of a crystal sphere. Or windows in the crystal sphere allowing the light of the phlogston to shine in. Or weird glowing bugs crawling around on the inner surface of the sphere.

Since 4e, stars have been described more like, well, actual stars. Other suns really far away. And some of them are infected by the alien magic of the Far Realm.

So I guess the answer would be to first figure out what a star is in your setting and then work your way out from there.

Naanomi
2018-05-02, 11:04 PM
Since 4e, stars have been described more like, well, actual stars. Other suns really far away. And some of them are infected by the alien magic of the Far Realm.
Even before 4e, there were unfathomably distant lights in the Phlogiston, originating beyond then local flow, that could sometimes be seen through the crystal sphere. I assumed that the 4e Warlock Stars were these in some way

Mith
2018-05-02, 11:10 PM
Adamantine (sp?) is called "star metal". Perhaps you find a large chunk of star metal.

A fun plot hook that pops into my head: Adamantine actually glows hot in the heavens naturally, and only cool when it lands on the earth and cools. In this heated state, the adamantine can grow if the fire it is in is fed metals (think thermite reactions). Precious metals, such as gold and platinum have the best rate of return. This knowledge was a secret of the Dwarves that even they have lost.

So now the party has a potentially infinite adamantine that requires a large amount of metals and a high temperature flame.

Enter an Ancient Red Dragon...

Luccan
2018-05-02, 11:14 PM
A young woman. They'll also save their mother from a witch and inherit a kingdom for their trouble.

sophontteks
2018-05-02, 11:18 PM
If you follow a star you'll find a glamour bard.

Vessyra
2018-05-02, 11:26 PM
If you find a crashed star, there's a chance that it will actually be one of those evil Great Old Ones like Hadar who look like stars but will attempt to devour your soul a bit more often than one would like

Falcon X
2018-05-02, 11:36 PM
The first meteor found contains Wind crystal fragments that bestow upon the finders the classes of Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, and Cleric.
The second meteor found contains Fire crystals granting Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Bard classes.
The third meteor found contains Earth crystal fragments bestowing the classes of Ranger, Druid, and Monk.
The fourth meteor found contains Water crystals bestowing the classes of Paladin and Warlock.

I think you know where I’m going with this.
Gestalt classes. Kill an evil tree who uses void magic. Let’s do this...

Nifft
2018-05-03, 04:47 AM
They'll find meteoric iron, which is better than Cold Iron (somehow).

Maybe it makes your sword +5 with a special anti-undead effect.

A young woman. They'll also save their mother from a witch and inherit a kingdom for their trouble.

That was a fun movie.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-03, 07:08 AM
A lump of crappy metal (https://xkcd.com/1114/)? A fallen angel (http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrael)? Your mom (https://xkcd.com/502/)?

Most (not all but most) only have a ‘sun’ and no real stars... they are sparkly bits on the sphere itself, or distorted images for things outside the sphere, or extraplanar phenomenon... although there are monsters that are living constellations for what it is worth (constellates... they have a ray 500,000 miles long and 1,000 mile diameter... their size is up to 100,000,000 square miles)

Outside of the safety of a Crystal Sphere there are a few ‘star-like’ phenomenon
:smalleek:

Spelljammer is nuts.

Vogie
2018-05-03, 07:31 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/e/e3/Coulson_Hammer.png/revision/latest?cb=20140721171902

TheCleverGuy
2018-05-03, 07:55 AM
A fallen angel (http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrael)?

Off topic, but if you read Leah's journal after you defeat the Skeleton King and find Tyreal under the cathedral, she says something along the lines of "The Fallen Star was only a man--I was hoping for something more miraculous." Because a dude falling from the sky, crashing through 5 levels of cathedral basement, and somehow surviving the impact while causing the dead to rise isn't miraculous enough for her. I always hated that.

/rant.

I like the idea of finding some kind of super-metal (adamantine or something else) there. May some kind of mythic artifact that becomes a McGuffin for your heroes to find, and compete with a recurring NPC for.

Sigreid
2018-05-03, 07:58 AM
A confused blonde and a ruby necklace with the color washed out.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-03, 08:05 AM

in d&d they would find either a meteor or a star gem. that is if we are talking about stars in d&D you could also put a spelljammer or alike there or a gods avatar, epic dragons, demigod, ect... there are a lot of things described as stars in d&D and a lot of things that a group would think of as a fallen star. if it is a really star the world would be gone.