PDA

View Full Version : Tactical question about disintegration defense

darni
2018-05-03, 03:41 AM
So, my party is soon fighting a wizard NPC. We had a fight with him several levels ago and were terribly outmatched at that time, and managed to survive due to very lucky saving rolls. However we have levelled since (we are 10th level), have some allies and the surprise.

In the last fight, we noticed that he has some fondness for the disintegration spell, and I was wondering what the group can make to be more resilient against that. What spells/items/tactics could be helpful to counter that?

I'm not interested in generic anti-wizard tactics (we've already prepared people with counterspells, grapplers+people casting silence, etc), but specific defenses vs disintegrate spell

Thanks!

JackPhoenix
2018-05-03, 03:50 AM
Make sure he can't see you. Darkness, smoke, Fog Cloud... while it screws with you too, he can't use Disintegrate on target he can't see.

Bless improves saves a little, and Counterspell is always useful against casters.

prototype00
2018-05-03, 04:07 AM
The Bear Totem Barbarian and specifically its resistance (all) is quite tough to disintegrate.

hymer
2018-05-03, 04:20 AM
The Bear Totem Barbarian and specifically its resistance (all) is quite tough to disintegrate.
*(all but psychic) :smallwink:

A Brooch of Shielding gives resistance to force damage.

Unoriginal
2018-05-03, 05:13 AM
A few unexpected illusions could help

ThePolarBear
2018-05-03, 05:19 AM
i'm surprised no one already mentioned Death Ward.

darni
2018-05-03, 07:41 AM
Great answers, thanks!

damascoplay
2018-05-06, 12:05 PM
i'm surprised no one already mentioned Death Ward.
Disintegrate should kill you outright if you fall to 0 hit points. Does Death Ward really prevents it? It gets you back to 1 HP, but the only mention of not getting killed outright would be the effect of negating Insta-death spells like power word kill or Divine Word. But the requirement of that happening is that, you mustn't take damage in order to happen.

Man, I'm confused. Correct me if I'm wrong.

djreynolds
2018-05-06, 12:12 PM
Sounds silly but "walls" of force just to eat up his spell slots.

Have the party stand behind one, he casts disintegrate and destroys the wall of force

Just recast wall of force.

Hopefully the wizard runs out of spell slots for disintegrate before you run out of spell slots for wall(s) of force

Matrix_Walker
2018-05-06, 12:31 PM
Disintegrate should kill you outright if you fall to 0 hit points. Does Death Ward really prevents it? It gets you back to 1 HP, but the only mention of not getting killed outright would be the effect of negating Insta-death spells like power word kill or Divine Word. But the requirement of that happening is that, you mustn't take damage in order to happen.

Man, I'm confused. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Death Ward causes you to be only reduced to 1 hp, it does not bring you back up after hitting 0, as well as averting instakill effects. Death Ward would be effective.

damascoplay
2018-05-06, 12:39 PM
Death Ward causes you to be only reduced to 1 hp, it does not bring you back up after hitting 0, as well as averting instakill effects. Death Ward would be effective.

That makes sense now. Thanks for the info.