PDA

View Full Version : Crafting rings

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-03, 07:53 AM
I am sure im not missing anything but just in case i wanted to ask her.
For Forge ring. It States "You can create any ring whose prerequisites you meet"
My major question is what is the craft check to make said items?
Or can i buy bulk gold/silver etc rings then enchant them to said magical rings im wanting/making?

Edit

I have a question now that i think about it. Would I be able to have a maximized Energy drain permeantly put onto a ring as an enchant ment?

Trying to find ways to give enchanments or "curses" that give negative levels to the rings so people who steal/use my personalized gear suddenly realise it was a very bad choice?

or a way to make them "set" rings where both have to be put on before the powers activite?

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-03, 08:01 AM
Outside of weapons and armor, there is no craft check or direct cost for the item you're making magical. I think it's assumed that part of the cost for such items goes to procuring the items itself. There is a check for the actual enchanting process, but that's separate.

You might have an argument that say, if you found a non-magical ring worth 500gp as treasure, you could use it to create a magical ring and knock 500gp off the cost of enchanting, but that would be up to your DM. Same for if you had Craft(Jewelry).

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-03, 08:05 AM
I was asking since I have woodcraft/woodworking for one of the classes i got. And was actually trying to figure out if i could use that and make wood magic rings of Ironwood and what not of the special wood materials. you know be fancy

Oracle71
2018-05-03, 08:31 AM
I think that would be an "ask your DM" situations.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-03, 08:49 AM
Just keep in mind that the material from which a magic item is made can factor into things like sunder attacks and saving throws. Not sure how often that ever comes up with a ring, but it's worth a moment's consideration at least.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-03, 10:43 AM
Just keep in mind that the material from which a magic item is made can factor into things like sunder attacks and saving throws. Not sure how often that ever comes up with a ring, but it's worth a moment's consideration at least.

Yeah, definitely an 'ask your DM' situation, since most rings are made of metal, and described as such in their entries. But I'm sure you could get away with it if you have a cool DM, i'd certainly allow it if I was running a game.

I can personally say I've never seen an enemy attempt to sunder player equipment, much less a ring, which is tiny and hard to hit, and usually under whatever gloves the PC is wearing, so they wouldn't even know you're wearing one more than likely. And just being a magic item improves an items hardness and saving throws more than any material is likely to.

KillianHawkeye
2018-05-03, 11:03 AM
I am sure im not missing anything but just in case i wanted to ask her.
For Forge ring. It States "You can create any ring whose prerequisites you meet"
My major question is what is the craft check to make said items?
Or can i buy bulk gold/silver etc rings then enchant them to said magical rings im wanting/making?

None of the magic item crafting feats actually include the cost of the base item. The rules are basically just for the "enchanting" cost, i.e., the act of adding magical properties to the item.

Now of course, you can actually make the base item yourself using an appropriate Craft skill, but that's an entirely separate thing.

By the way, there's no skill check for adding the magic part, either. Just having the feat and the item's prerequisites and spending the time, money, and xp is enough.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-03, 11:38 AM
None of the magic item crafting feats actually include the cost of the base item. The rules are basically just for the "enchanting" cost, i.e., the act of adding magical properties to the item.

Now of course, you can actually make the base item yourself using an appropriate Craft skill, but that's an entirely separate thing.

By the way, there's no skill check for adding the magic part, either. Just having the feat and the item's prerequisites and spending the time, money, and xp is enough.

In 3.5 yes, in Pathfinder you lost the xp loss and gain a Spellcraft check. The OP never specified a system.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-03, 04:42 PM
Oh sorry. its DnD. It was more of a im confused on the skill its wanting. Since Craft magic arms and armor. im going to need armor/weapon making craft. craft potion going to need alchemy. While it doesnt state which skill it needs. Some of the Feats have your brain make a "semi auto" leap to Arms/armor Blacksmithing, type of leap or it does for me at least.

KillianHawkeye
2018-05-03, 09:30 PM
Oh sorry. its DnD. It was more of a im confused on the skill its wanting. Since Craft magic arms and armor. im going to need armor/weapon making craft. craft potion going to need alchemy. While it doesnt state which skill it needs. Some of the Feats have your brain make a "semi auto" leap to Arms/armor Blacksmithing, type of leap or it does for me at least.

Brew Potion does not require Craft (alchemy) as potions and alchemical creations are entirely different things. Craft Magic Arms & Armor does not require Craft (weaponsmithing) or Craft (armorsmithing) checks unless you are planning to smith the masterwork items before you enhance them with magic, but again, these are two entirely separate facets of making the item and can be done by different people.

Nifft
2018-05-03, 09:32 PM
Creating a magic ring would never use the Craft skill, because the Forge Ring feat demands Forgery.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-04, 07:46 AM
Brew Potion does not require Craft (alchemy) as potions and alchemical creations are entirely different things. Craft Magic Arms & Armor does not require Craft (weaponsmithing) or Craft (armorsmithing) checks unless you are planning to smith the masterwork items before you enhance them with magic, but again, these are two entirely separate facets of making the item and can be done by different people.

Yes this. The word 'Craft' in the 'Craft Magic Arms and Armor' or 'Craft Wondrous Item' would be better replaced with 'Enchant'