PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer weaponising their own body (snake theme optional)

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-03, 08:41 AM
I'm looking for spells that involve weaponising your won body, or flinging creatures at your enemies. Flinging snakes out the the sleeves of your robes is optional. Seems like a nice theme for an NPC villain.

So far I have Tongue Tendrils, Belkers Claws and Flame Whips. Is that all there is?

Third Party and Pathfinder stuff is okay too, as long as you tell me where it's from.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-03, 09:24 AM
Just a quick glace of spells up to 2nd level gave me Babau Slime (SC 22), cutting hand (SC 57), fist of stone (SC 94), Graz'zt's Long Grasp (BoVD 96), Jaws of the Moray (Storm 117) [with Razorfangs (SC 168)].

Nifft
2018-05-03, 10:08 AM
Lahm's Finger Darts (BoVD) has the advantage of being decent utility, but the disadvantage of not technically being a Sorcerer spell.

RoboEmperor
2018-05-03, 10:30 AM
Girallon's Blessing.
Arms of Plenty.
Investiture of the Spined Devil.
Investiture of the Beard Devil.

SirNibbles
2018-05-03, 11:28 AM
Snake Darts (Complete Arcane), if you've a way to get Wu Jen spells
Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHB II)
Displacer Form (Spell Compendium)
Gutsnake (Spell Compendium)
Balor Nimbus (Spell Compendium)

Zaq
2018-05-03, 11:40 AM
It’s not exactly a high-power option, but have you looked at the Osteomancer PrC in Dragon Compendium? There’s a reasonable amount of fluff overlap there.

The Viscount
2018-05-03, 11:43 AM
Tongue Serpents from BoVD is another spell like this.

If you're willing to spend a feat on arcane preparation that will give you access to corrupt spells, which lets you use Serpents of Theggeron, also from BoVD.

Rebel7284
2018-05-03, 11:47 AM
This might be obvious, but for completeness sake, polymorph.

DMVerdandi
2018-05-03, 12:14 PM
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but serpent arrows.
Turn up to eight darts into vipers that do 1hp damage, and 1d6 CON damage with poison.
Vipers keep attacking for duration of spell.

Then there is always summon monster for the fiendish viper.
You can just summon it to your sleeve and have it attack, ala orochimaru.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-03, 12:22 PM
Right. Well it seems that the NPC will have to be a Wizard instead of a Sorcerer. Probably a level 5 wizard.

Okay, those spells do seem to work. The NPC will have to be a Gish of sorts I guess, because these spells do seem incompatible with further verbal and somatic components.

And yeah, Orochimaru is the inspiration here :)

Anything low-level outside the BOVD? Because the low-level spells there are decent, but only just.
I could always run him as a summoner with a combat-specced snake/vermin Improved familiar to defend him and benefit from personal spells that weaponise his body.

mabriss lethe
2018-05-03, 06:17 PM
You might think about the Draconic Claws feat, as well. It nets you the ability to cast a spell and swipe with a claw in the same round.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-03, 07:45 PM
After reading Graz'zt's Long Grasp again, I am reminded of an old spell I once used on another character but cannot for the life of me remember what it was. I believe my hand turned into a spider thing (or was it my eye?) and would go out and do reconnaissance and then return to me. While it wasn't an offensive spell, the memory seemed appropriate to the kind of thing this character might do. But maybe I am remembering from some other game system. :smallconfused:

mabriss lethe
2018-05-03, 07:51 PM
After reading Graz'zt's Long Grasp again, I am reminded of an old spell I once used on another character but cannot for the life of me remember what it was. I believe my hand turned into a spider thing (or was it my eye?) and would go out and do reconnaissance and then return to me. While it wasn't an offensive spell, the memory seemed appropriate to the kind of thing this character might do. But maybe I am remembering from some other game system. :smallconfused:

That sounds like the Crawling Eye Warlock invocation

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-03, 08:08 PM
That sounds like the Crawling Eye Warlock invocation
Yep. That was it. Lesser Warlock Invocation. No spell equivalent that I know of. Too bad.

Nifft
2018-05-03, 08:17 PM

Spider Hand
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: Caster's hand
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 minute/level)

The caster detaches his hand, which transforms into a Small monstrous spider (see the Monster Manual) that he controls. The caster can see through its eyes, and it can travel up to 20 feet per level away from him. If the spider is killed or prevented from returning to the caster, his hand is restored when the spell ends, but he takes 1d6 points of damage. If the caster directs the spider to return to his arm (a move-equivalent action), then lets the spell end, he takes no damage.

Maybe it's this old 3.0e thing?

Ramza00
2018-05-03, 09:37 PM
I can't remember the spells name, but there is a 3.0 / 3.5 spell, on the wizards.com website, actually two versions (a lesser and a normal or was it a normal and a greater) that creates a reach attack of several "serpent limbs" except if I recall snake is not mention specifically.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-04, 04:21 AM
Do you mean Evard's Menacing Tentacles? Just found that spell, love it. I wonder how extra melee natural weapon attacks stack with Shivering touch?

Say I have Evard's Menacing Tentacles active as well as Shivering Touch: does that mean that I can use Shivering Touch two more times a round with the free attacks of the tentacles?
Even if I can only use Shivering Touch once per turn maximum, as long as I can use it through Evard's menacing tentacles then they suddenly become pretty devastating. And they threaten a 10ft range!

mabriss lethe
2018-05-04, 08:35 AM
You could also cosmetically refluff a Tentacle whip from eberron to be more snake-like.

Goaty14
2018-05-04, 09:12 AM
Say I have Evard's Menacing Tentacles active as well as Shivering Touch: does that mean that I can use Shivering Touch two more times a round with the free attacks of the tentacles?
Even if I can only use Shivering Touch once per turn maximum, as long as I can use it through Evard's menacing tentacles then they suddenly become pretty devastating. And they threaten a 10ft range!

No, unless you held a touch charge from a previous casting

daremetoidareyo
2018-05-04, 10:17 AM
I have a stub that I haven't finished that uses combat reflexes, Close Quarters fighting, and jaws of the Moray and the long tooth Elite shifter feat to just con bleed the heck out of your enemies. Let me see if I can find it.

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-04, 10:24 AM
I think in an older version of d&d sticks to snakes was a thing.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-04, 11:34 AM
No, unless you held a touch charge from a previous casting

I don't get it. Shivering Touch lasts 1 round/level. Why should I have to hold a charge? Can't I just make touch attacks with Shivering Touch at any time during the duration?
Is there a limit on the number of touch attacks that can be made other than the duration limit, like a per round limit of some sort?

Ramza00
2018-05-04, 11:36 AM
Do you mean Evard's Menacing Tentacles? Just found that spell, love it. I wonder how extra melee natural weapon attacks stack with Shivering touch?

No it was two spells on the same page at wizards.com website but I can't remember what it is called.

BloodredAi
2018-05-04, 12:29 PM
On the pathfinder side of things, i know you can use a feature of Craft Construct to effectively make Armor that's also the Construct (activating the armor function puts you and your construct in the same square, and redirects all damage to the Construct, but also has a few downsides, etc, etc. You could also deactivate the armor as long as the Construct was still 'alive' and it'd exit to an adjacent square, but if the Construct 'dies' while you're wearing it, it's a pain in the ass to take off and carries pretty annoying penalties)

I'm pretty sure i remember hearing something about a template for living tattoos, although i don't remember if it was pathfinder (i'm pretty sure it was) or 3.5. there was also another template, amalgam, that could fuse other templates (ie, living tattoo with an animated object to make buildings wearable).

Obviously you wouldn't do absurd stuff like wearable buildings for a low level boss, but you can still 'weaponize your body' with living snake tattoos and whatnot... as long as 3.5 has an equivalent, or you port the templates over.

I'll see if i can find them, and edit 'em into this post when i do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: They were indeed Pathfinder. Pardon my inability to link things, account is still too new.
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/tattoo-guardian

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/amalgam-creature-cr-special
Amalgam is a 3rd party template, if you care, though. Still, an amalgamation of Tattoo Guardian and a creature is a pretty great way to weaponize your body; of course, the stronger the creature you amalgamate, the stronger the result will be. Choose carefully.

d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs/
(scroll down for 'complex modifications' for Construct Armor and Construct Limb... although 'Limb' isn't exactly a great name for it, considering it's treated as a shield that lets ya attack as if you were the Construct. Both do carry the normal chances for arcane spell failure, as if they were Breastplate Armor and a Heavy Steel Shield respectively (if ASF is a thing in 3.5). You don't have to care about the creation costs though, since it's a villain.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-06, 09:08 AM
Extend Tentacles (SC 86) works great with Evard's Menacing Tentacles from Player's Handbook II, Toothed Tentacle from Lost Empires of Faerûn, or Flaying Tendrils from Complete Mage to give you a tentacle attack with a bit of reach.

Fearsome Grapple from Spell Compendium also creates tentacles, but only for grappling.