PDA

View Full Version : Sorlock (Warceror?) Spell Choice Advice Needed

NecessaryWeevil
2018-05-03, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

We've ticked all four of Madam Eva's boxes and (some of) my party members are itching to push on to Castle Ravenloft and confront Strahd. We've just leveled up to 9 and I'm trying to decide on my new spells.

I'm currently a Half-elf Celestial Tomelock 5 / Divine Soul Sorceror 3. I have an 18 Charisma and my Invocations are Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets and Tomb of Levistus. My metamagic choices are Subtle Spell and Twinned Spell.
My cantrips are Sacred Flame, Light, Friends, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Guidance, Spare the Dying, Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery, Resistance and Mending.
My first-level spells are Hex (Warlock), Protection from Evil and Good (Warlock), Bless (Divine Soul), Healing Word (Divine Soul), Sanctuary (Divine Soul).
My second-level spells are Enhance Ability (Warlock), Mirror Image (Warlock), Gentle Repose (Divine Soul).
My third-level spells are Revivify and Hypnotic Pattern (both Warlock).
I also possess the following rituals: Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Purify Food Drink, and Animal Messenger.
I also possess the Dark Gift of the Soul Hungerer (cast Raise Dead 3x).

So far I've been mostly a buffer and YoYo combat medic, blasting when I have nothing better to do. Out of combat healing is a shared responsibility. Other party members are a Moon (I think) Druid, Vengeance Paladin, and Open Hand Monk.

Advice? I'm thinking Sorceror 4 for the ASI but not sure about spell choice. NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

Thanks!

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-03, 01:15 PM
I would take either dragons breath, or spiritual weapon if you go sorc 4.

Daylight if you level the warlock.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-05-03, 01:59 PM
I'd also go spiritual weapon and sorcerer 4 to get 20 Cha.

Foxhound438
2018-05-03, 03:07 PM
*title* I believe it's spelled "Warcestersorcerer"

But for your level up I would say pick up warlock 6 for a bonus to radiant damage, since it's decent against vampires in general.

Maelynn
2018-05-03, 03:39 PM
*title* I believe it's spelled "Warcestersorcerer"

Isn't that a condiment?

JeffreyGator
2018-05-03, 08:00 PM
But for your level up I would say pick up warlock 6 for a bonus to radiant damage, since it's decent against vampires in general.

The radiant/fire damage bonus won't be very effective with only sacred flame as a radiant/fire spell and already getting that bonus from eldritch blast anyway.

For level 10 taking Warlock 6 after taking Sorc 4 for 18cha and Spiritual weapon makes more sense.
(Spiritual weapon will then be doing d8+5+5 every round which is nice)

Do you mostly twin your beneficial spells then?

At 6 Lock, I would take Hunger of Hadar and swap revivify out for counterspell since you have the dark gift.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-03, 08:28 PM
The radiant/fire damage bonus won't be very effective with only sacred flame as a radiant/fire spell and already getting that bonus from eldritch blast anyway

Are you talking about agonizing blast here?

swap revivify out for counterspell since you have the dark gift.

Dark gift? Do you mean dark one's own luck? He isn't a fiend pact so that wouldn't help with counterspell though I agree he should pick it up.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-05-03, 09:38 PM
The dark gift from the module lets me cast Raise Dead 3 times.
Yes, I'm frequently Twinning Protection.

For level 10 taking Warlock 6 after taking Sorc 4 for 18cha and Spiritual weapon makes more sense.
(Spiritual weapon will then be doing d8+5+5 every round which is nice)
Where is the second +5 coming from?

Asmotherion
2018-05-12, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

We've ticked all four of Madam Eva's boxes and (some of) my party members are itching to push on to Castle Ravenloft and confront Strahd. We've just leveled up to 9 and I'm trying to decide on my new spells.

I'm currently a Half-elf Celestial Tomelock 5 / Divine Soul Sorceror 3. I have an 18 Charisma and my Invocations are Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets and Tomb of Levistus. My metamagic choices are Subtle Spell and Twinned Spell.
My cantrips are Sacred Flame, Light, Friends, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Guidance, Spare the Dying, Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery, Resistance and Mending.
My first-level spells are Hex (Warlock), Protection from Evil and Good (Warlock), Bless (Divine Soul), Healing Word (Divine Soul), Sanctuary (Divine Soul).
My second-level spells are Enhance Ability (Warlock), Mirror Image (Warlock), Gentle Repose (Divine Soul).
My third-level spells are Revivify and Hypnotic Pattern (both Warlock).
I also possess the following rituals: Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Purify Food Drink, and Animal Messenger.
I also possess the Dark Gift of the Soul Hungerer (cast Raise Dead 3x).

So far I've been mostly a buffer and YoYo combat medic, blasting when I have nothing better to do. Out of combat healing is a shared responsibility. Other party members are a Moon (I think) Druid, Vengeance Paladin, and Open Hand Monk.

Advice? I'm thinking Sorceror 4 for the ASI but not sure about spell choice. NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

Thanks!

A) The essentials: Why don't you have quicken spell on a Sorlock? Twined is overrated, as it does not work (anymore by RAW) with Eldritch Blast.

B) Armor of Agathys, Dragon's Breath, Alter Self and Shield are some of the spells you could have that I'd never miss on my Sorlock. Since you don't get any type of armor either, Mage armor for a half decent AC is also good for you (you're no Dragon Sorcerer after all).

C) If you manage a Decent AC, you can get a Decent ongoing Armor of Agathys, Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians at the same time. Add to that the Cloack of Flies Invocation, if you invest an Invocation for it, you can pack a lot of ongoing melee (punishing) damage, or at least prevent things from wanting to hit you. Things would look even better for a Tiefling with a Fiend patron, but let's optimise with what we have.

D) When you're not Eldritch Blasting or Healing, you want to have a melee option; I have two proposals for you, in order not to actually invest into Gishing (since you don't show interest in that). 1) Have Shocking Grasp as your Off Weapon or 2) Invest in a feat like Crossbow Expert, that gets rid of the penalty you'd face when casting EB in melee. This way, wile not an actual Gish per say, you are as comfortable in melee as you are 120 feet away from the front lines.

This is a Versalite Build I can think off quickly to optimise around what you already have. You keep your role as a healer, except now you can also hit very hard, and be comfortable enough in melee; if anything actually hits your not-so abysmal AC, it's going to be in more trouble than you probably are going to be yourself.