PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Scrying

Twilightinferno
2018-05-03, 12:49 PM
So my character managed to piss off some drow. The drow manage to get a hold of her belongings and have been using scrying to track her location and then teleport in kill squads to attack her and the party. Our group is currently lvl 9 can anyone give advice on items or spells to to prevent scrying longterm so they can stop teleporting in on us.

FelineArchmage
2018-05-03, 12:53 PM
So my character managed to piss off some drow. The drow manage to get a hold of her belongings and have been using scrying to track her location and then teleport in kill squads to attack her and the party. Our group is currently lvl 9 can anyone give advice on items or spells to to prevent scrying longterm so they can stop teleporting in on us.

Nondetection is the first spell that came to mind, but it's in hours per level for duration.

Also, Anticipate Teleportation. Give you a heads up when people teleport in.

Both have a material component/focus if your group keeps track of that stuff.

Crake
2018-05-03, 01:20 PM
If you have a long term place you want to set up, Mage's Private Sanctum and permanency (or just casting it daily) can keep you 100% protected from scrying. If you're out adventuring though you're gonna have a bit more of a difficult time. Detect scrying lasts all day and lets you know when you're being scried with 100% efficiency, and also potentially gives you a vision of the person scrying you, which lets you reverse scry and fry, getting the jump on THEM as soon as they teleport their death squad at you, you teleport to them and murder them while they're alone.

Hellpyre
2018-05-03, 02:23 PM
You can get permanent protection from divinations by gaining (and then losing, if you wish) the God-Blooded of Vecna template.

Deophaun
2018-05-03, 02:32 PM
A lesser version of Crake's suggestion of detect scrying but more universally useful, a permanancied arcane sight will also detect the scrying sensor as a magic aura. You probably don't even need to make the Spellcraft check to identify it, as a static aura floating in midair can't be too many things.

denthor
2018-05-03, 03:43 PM
My 1st thought is your DM needs to roll % dice. The drow can see you but if the dice do not cooperate or if the drow that did the scry does not accompany and cast the teleport then many things can happen badly with description only. Also down the teleport vessel. They can not have that many mages capable of casting that spell. If 4 areally buried not many will step up to attack you.

Heliomance
2018-05-04, 09:36 AM
Oh dammit, there's a really obscure item or spell (I forget which) I came across a while back which lets you deal damage to anyone scrying on you, but I can't remember where it's from.

Deophaun
2018-05-04, 10:05 AM
Oh dammit, there's a really obscure item or spell (I forget which) I came across a while back which lets you deal damage to anyone scrying on you, but I can't remember where it's from.

Scry trap? It does allow spell resistance, so not the best thing against drow.

Fuzzy McCoy
2018-05-04, 10:26 AM
This stackoverflow (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/80720/how-to-counter-high-level-players-using-scry-and-teleport-how-to-maintain-intr) has a good amount of information - of note is the deathglance locket and scry trap spell

Mordaedil
2018-05-07, 01:45 AM
That people don't immediately buy nondetection items as soon as they can afford them is something that greatly amuses my DM.

I joined an epic level campaign and I bemused to my friend and party member "oh hey, your character probably should invest in one of these Hats of anonymity." "Why is that useful?" "Well, you know how people just show up and always seem to know where you are going and how to find you?" "Yeah?" "This prevents that." "..." "What?" "I thought that was just how the game went?"

The DM just started laughing for an hour after that, while explaining every time it would have been useful to have had (it wouldn't have been that useful, most of the enemies she made that were still alive to scry on her were mostly all gods)

It was an amusing "go figure" moment, but it also occurs to me how little the players really know by playing the game without being inquisitive about things.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-07, 03:14 AM
There's a couple of feat options but I'm guessing you need something more immediate; lead-lined palanquin and a couple porters. You'll have to spend actions getting in and out but it's probably the cheapest bet.

BWR
2018-05-07, 03:50 AM
Mind Blank is your friend. Complete protection from divinations and lasts 24 hours. Downside is it's an 8th level spell.

Crake
2018-05-07, 04:39 AM
That people don't immediately buy nondetection items as soon as they can afford them is something that greatly amuses my DM.

I joined an epic level campaign and I bemused to my friend and party member "oh hey, your character probably should invest in one of these Hats of anonymity." "Why is that useful?" "Well, you know how people just show up and always seem to know where you are going and how to find you?" "Yeah?" "This prevents that." "..." "What?" "I thought that was just how the game went?"

The DM just started laughing for an hour after that, while explaining every time it would have been useful to have had (it wouldn't have been that useful, most of the enemies she made that were still alive to scry on her were mostly all gods)

It was an amusing "go figure" moment, but it also occurs to me how little the players really know by playing the game without being inquisitive about things.

Considering a hat of anonymity's CL check to overcome it's protection is a mere 22...... In an epic game.... It's kiinnnddaaa useless. Nondetection is trash, third eye: conceal and mind blank is where it's at.

Mordaedil
2018-05-07, 05:03 AM
Considering a hat of anonymity's CL check to overcome it's protection is a mere 22...... In an epic game.... It's kiinnnddaaa useless. Nondetection is trash, third eye: conceal and mind blank is where it's at.

It would still be kinda helpful in our game as even though we are epic levels, we're... Not facing epic level challenges. The DM is running a long-running thing set in Forgotten Realms where he adapts his own version of the spell plague and stuff, while still using 3rd edition ruleset.

I mean, I could go into everything weird about his setting, but consider that I am playing an unoptimized character ported from NWN where I played a rogue 16/fighter 4/wizard 4 and have really unoptimized items (my best sword is a +2 keen shortsword) tackling demigods, we're not.

It's more to futz about and wreck havoc at this point, really. And it is pretty fun to decimate a patrol of ogres in heavy armor completely solo. (The actual point was using hat of anonymity as an example, I think getting an amulet of nondetection is a better idea at that level)

BlackOnyx
2018-05-07, 02:22 PM

Scry trap? It does allow spell resistance, so not the best thing against drow.

There's also Psychic Poison from the Book of Vile Darkness.

Heliomance
2018-05-08, 03:26 AM
This stackoverflow (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/80720/how-to-counter-high-level-players-using-scry-and-teleport-how-to-maintain-intr) has a good amount of information - of note is the deathglance locket and scry trap spell

Deathglance locket, that's the one I was thinking of! I gave a campaign BBEG one of those once. Sadly the campaign died before it was relevant.

ottdmk
2018-05-08, 04:19 PM
My 5th level Unseen Seer has it (10th CL, Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 5) has permanent Nondetection as a class ability, but I doubt that helps you much. Couldn't resist mentioning it though.

The Enigma Helm soulmeld offers Nondetection, but getting it with the Shape Soulmeld feat results in a lousy Meldshaper level to use with it.