PDA

View Full Version : How to roleplay a limited omniscient character?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-03, 12:53 PM
I know I know limited omniscient sounds like a contradiction but my idea is that the character will be able to know everything as long as certain criteria is met, so it's limited but he's still know all.

Any tips on how to make it work? My original idea is that the character knows everything including details about something someone else is reporting.

LIke a hero saying "And then I slayed the evil dragon" The character would be able to say "Yes, but only after it bruned down and devoured the entire city" these details are true but only the hero knew about, the chaarcter is only able to "Acess" these unknow facts after the hero started descring the past events first.

Is this a cool diea? Do you guys think this could work?

DeTess
2018-05-04, 01:10 AM
I know I know limited omniscient sounds like a contradiction but my idea is that the character will be able to know everything as long as certain criteria is met, so it's limited but he's still know all.

Any tips on how to make it work? My original idea is that the character knows everything including details about something someone else is reporting.

LIke a hero saying "And then I slayed the evil dragon" The character would be able to say "Yes, but only after it bruned down and devoured the entire city" these details are true but only the hero knew about, the chaarcter is only able to "Acess" these unknow facts after the hero started descring the past events first.

Is this a cool diea? Do you guys think this could work?

It's certainly a cool idea. Whether it can work is up to your DM, however. In some campaigns (Dungeon crawl) this is just a neat gimmick, but in others(political intrigue, for example) it could seriously break things, or give you a massive advantage over the other PC's.

Spore
2018-05-04, 04:54 AM
I had the same thoughts when I played an Pathfinder oracle. The actual class is less visions-oriented but this is basically a thing you have to do in close cooperation with your DM. Thing is, the world usually behaves on input of the heroes, so your DM can only give you visions like: "when your party does not act, xyz happens." but not what will actually happen because that requires him (or you) to actually be able to predict the future.

He can reliably give you the info what happens if the players ignore an event.