View Full Version : Simple/rule light "fixes" for a low-magic campaign

Mighty_Chicken
2018-05-03, 10:26 PM
Low-magic has its appeal to a lot of DMs, me included. I know 5e wasn't quite designed with low-magic in mind, but I also feel it's the best D&D version for this kind of setting.

So what do you think are easy house-rules for "fixing" 5e in a way that helps low-magic to be more organic? I have a few ideas, but I specially want ideas from others. I propose a few easy fixes here, but I don't mean they all should be used together.

In my opinion, a low-magic setting is one where magic exists, but it isn't casual, it isn't everywhere. It doesn't mean the PCs can't cast 9th level spells - Vampire the Masquerade is a good example of a low-magic setting where the PCs are entirely supernatural. So the biggest offender isn't exactly magic-using by PCs. Any low-magic world can work while PCs are an exception to the rule - that's how most adventure and superhero entertainment works, if you think about it. But let's also think of solutions that directly affect the PCs, so low-magic is also part of gameplay.

Limited cantrips

At-will cantrips beg for the question: how doesn't limitless magic affect everything in the economy and in government matters?

The mechanical fix is to make them limited. Say, a caster can only use (Proficiency Bonus)x2 cantrips between long rests; this quantity could be replenished by burning a first level spell slot; and after that, by getting exhaustion levels. This isn't rules heavy and keeps cantrips as an adaptable power that uses few resources.

There is also a whole category of possible "fluff" fixes. Such fixes wouldn't be expressed in mechanics, but how usual people in the setting deal with such matters. For example, maybe even though cantrips do not cost a limited magical resource, they have an emotional cost. Adventurers during a journey or a battle will be willing to pay this cost, but people in their daily lives won't. Smiling doesn't cost anything, but what happens if you hug smile everytime, everyday? A 5th level fighter can swing his sword against kobolds for hours in a row without getting exhausted - at least, there isn't a rule saying player characters will, but it's reasonable to think the morale of NPCs would be down after endless fighting. Similarly, the 1st level cleric in the village might not want to use orisons all day.

This is actually a solution for most low-magic concerns. Even if there are a good number of spellcasters in your world, they might not be willing to cast spells all the time.

Limits to high-level magic

If the PCs are bound to the same rules as the others denizens of a setting, it's not complicated to decide there is an arbitrary limit to spell levels. Maybe spells above certain level are non existant or only known by the gods. Full spellcasters might be required to multiclass - this isn't a subtle solution, but it also has the bonus of making every spellcaster unique, which is a trait of low-magic fictional settings.

Morals

Real life medieval Europeans knew how banks worked, but the activity was limited by moral concerns. Magic can be limited by such concerns even when it is not so hard to obtain. Aside from the more obvious trope of witches being burned for being considered diabolical, magic might be limited (instead of prohibited) by morals. It already happens in fantasy settings that necromancers has a bad name. But evocation can be considered vulgar and disrespectful towards a nation's religion and cosmology; enchantments and illusion spells might be seem as very dangerous for the social fabric. There can be various reasons why a society would refrain from using magic even if it has the means to. In such case, mages can be respected as long as they stick to limits that society find acceptable. This leads to a world where people know that magic exists and are somewhat aware of what it does.

In this case, PCs might be more free to use magic in dungeons and away from big cities, but will have to be cautelous around other people.

Politics

This is the "solution" of the World of Darkness setting. Magic and supernatural powers exist and are at the PC's disposal. However, Vampires have the Masquerade because opening up their existence to the world would weaken their undead society, and Mages face the fierce opposition of Technocrats. Therefore, there is a balance that gives all characters, PCs and NPCs, a reason not to chance the world into a highly magical one.

In a fantastic setting, magic can be unknown and feared; or it can be known but controlled by churches and wizard academies that are very strict about the way it should be used by magic users.

Magical drain

This is very difficult to homebrew as a mechanic. But if the use of magic has negative colateral effects, it would very seldomly be used in everyday situations. The mechanic might be very direct, imposing exhaustion levels on spellacasters, for example; or the use of magic by any character could be noted along adventures for long-term collateral effects, like corruption, madness or physical degeneration.

Dark Sun has an intermediate solution where, fluff wise, arcane magic usually drains the land out of life, but any player can decide who play as a Preserver wizard who simply knows how to cast arcane spells more carefully. Still, there is a concrete reason why there aren't wizards everywhere, and the political context is hostile even to Preserver characters.

Maybe all magic in your setting opens up the doors to a shadowy world, making towns where more magic is used more haunted by supernatural creatures in the long run; or maybe it is well-known all magic brings forth bad luck and curse to the lands where it's used. It might enrage elemental spirits and attract floods and droughts, or make cattle die and spoil milk. None of those solutions need a mechanic for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such are my ideas so far! What have you tried so far?

Eric Diaz
2018-05-03, 10:45 PM
Seems like you're seriously nerfing casters... I'd rather just limit full casters to level 10 or something. This way, you can cut high-level spells without messing with balance too much.

Limited cantrips

Good enough, IMO. Maybe prof x 3.

Full spellcasters might be required to multiclass - this isn't a subtle solution, but it also has the bonus of making every spellcaster unique, which is a trait of low-magic fictional settings.

Yeah, this.

In this case, PCs might be more free to use magic in dungeons and away from big cities, but will have to be cautelous around other people.

Ok, but OTOH they could have an easier time intimidating the common folks.

In a fantastic setting, magic can be unknown and feared; or it can be known but controlled by churches and wizard academies that are very strict about the way it should be used by magic users.

Sure, but they should also have some allies, patrons, apprentices etc.

Magical drain

This is very difficult to homebrew as a mechanic. But if the use of magic has negative colateral effects, it would very seldomly be used in everyday situations. The mechanic might be very direct, imposing exhaustion levels on spellacasters, for example; or the use of magic by any character could be noted along adventures for long-term collateral effects, like corruption, madness or physical degeneration.

Dark Sun has an intermediate solution where, fluff wise, arcane magic usually drains the land out of life, but any player can decide who play as a Preserver wizard who simply knows how to cast arcane spells more carefully. Still, there is a concrete reason why there aren't wizards everywhere, and the political context is hostile even to Preserver characters.

Not sure about this one. In my house rules for Dark Sun (http://methodsetmadness.blogspot.com.br/2017/09/dark-sun-10-house-rules-for-5e-part-i.html) I suggested a few things:

1 - Desolation - flora and small fauna wither and die around the spellcaster.
2 - Destruction - people around the spellcaster suffer necrotic damage equal to spell level.
3 - Confusion - spell gets out of control and affects another random target.
4 - Exhaustion - spellcaster gains exhaustion. Nobody said it was easy!
5 - Inspiration - the next time the spellcaster casts a spell, he can pick any result from this table (except for this one!).
6 - Mutation - the spellcaster becomes permanently warped (it can be cured... probably).
7 - Exsanguination - the spellcaster loses 2 HP per spell level.
8 - Transfiguration - the spellcaster becomes something else for a while. It might be just cosmetic. Black eyes, etc. It is very unsettling and will draw ire from the superstitious.
9 - Provocation - sleeping creatures might wake, the half-dead may rise, or hungry monster will hear a calling.
10 - Demolition - objects break and structures fail around the spellcaster.
11 - Extortion - the spellcaster gains 2 HP per spell level. A amount of damage eqaul to the total is randomly distributed to nearby people.
12 - Putrefaction - food and water are ruined.

But this involves "pushing your limits", ie, casting spells one slot HIGHER than you ordinarily would be capable of. Otherwise, you're just hurting casters.

JoeJ
2018-05-03, 10:53 PM
For a real change in feel that doesn't take any abilities away but drastically changes how and when they're used, here's an idea I came up with for a knights errant themed game:

Casting times of most spells are inceased by 1 increment. That is, castting times of 1 Action or 1 Bonus Action become 1 minute, casting times of 1 minute become 10 minutes, casting times of 10 minutes become 1 hour, and casting times of 1 hour become 8 hours. Spells with casting times of 8 hours or more, or those that are cast as reactions remain unaffected. Casting time increases apply only to the actual casting of spells, not the use of spell slots for other purposes (a paladin’s Divine Smite, for example). Spell duration is also increased in the same way, although Instaneous duration spells are not affected, nor (obviously) are spells that last until dispelled.

This makes casting most spells in combat impractical, which is great for a setting which strongly emphasizes heroic warriors. It will also work, however, if you are planning to downplay combat and focus mostly on exploration and/or social interaction. It doesn't work if wizards should be able to hold their own on the battlefield, but that's what I'd expect from a low-magic setting.

Malifice
2018-05-03, 11:33 PM
A cap at 11th level.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-04, 08:59 AM
Low-magic has its appeal to a lot of DMs, me included. I know 5e wasn't quite designed with low-magic in mind, but I also feel it's the best D&D version for this kind of setting.

So what do you think are easy house-rules for "fixing" 5e in a way that helps low-magic to be more organic? I have a few ideas, but I specially want ideas from others. I propose a few easy fixes here, but I don't mean they all should be used together.

In my opinion, a low-magic setting is one where magic exists, but it isn't casual, it isn't everywhere. It doesn't mean the PCs can't cast 9th level spells - Vampire the Masquerade is a good example of a low-magic setting where the PCs are entirely supernatural. So the biggest offender isn't exactly magic-using by PCs. Any low-magic world can work while PCs are an exception to the rule - that's how most adventure and superhero entertainment works, if you think about it. But let's also think of solutions that directly affect the PCs, so low-magic is also part of gameplay.

Limited cantrips

At-will cantrips beg for the question: how doesn't limitless magic affect everything in the economy and in government matters?

The mechanical fix is to make them limited. Say, a caster can only use (Proficiency Bonus)x2 cantrips between long rests; this quantity could be replenished by burning a first level spell slot; and after that, by getting exhaustion levels. This isn't rules heavy and keeps cantrips as an adaptable power that uses few resources.

There is also a whole category of possible "fluff" fixes. Such fixes wouldn't be expressed in mechanics, but how usual people in the setting deal with such matters. For example, maybe even though cantrips do not cost a limited magical resource, they have an emotional cost. Adventurers during a journey or a battle will be willing to pay this cost, but people in their daily lives won't. Smiling doesn't cost anything, but what happens if you hug smile everytime, everyday? A 5th level fighter can swing his sword against kobolds for hours in a row without getting exhausted - at least, there isn't a rule saying player characters will, but it's reasonable to think the morale of NPCs would be down after endless fighting. Similarly, the 1st level cleric in the village might not want to use orisons all day.

This is actually a solution for most low-magic concerns. Even if there are a good number of spellcasters in your world, they might not be willing to cast spells all the time.

Limits to high-level magic

If the PCs are bound to the same rules as the others denizens of a setting, it's not complicated to decide there is an arbitrary limit to spell levels. Maybe spells above certain level are non existant or only known by the gods. Full spellcasters might be required to multiclass - this isn't a subtle solution, but it also has the bonus of making every spellcaster unique, which is a trait of low-magic fictional settings.

Morals

Real life medieval Europeans knew how banks worked, but the activity was limited by moral concerns. Magic can be limited by such concerns even when it is not so hard to obtain. Aside from the more obvious trope of witches being burned for being considered diabolical, magic might be limited (instead of prohibited) by morals. It already happens in fantasy settings that necromancers has a bad name. But evocation can be considered vulgar and disrespectful towards a nation's religion and cosmology; enchantments and illusion spells might be seem as very dangerous for the social fabric. There can be various reasons why a society would refrain from using magic even if it has the means to. In such case, mages can be respected as long as they stick to limits that society find acceptable. This leads to a world where people know that magic exists and are somewhat aware of what it does.

Politics

This is the "solution" of the World of Darkness setting. Magic and supernatural powers exist and are at the PC's disposal. However, Vampires have the Masquerade because opening up their existence to the world would weaken their undead society, and Mages face the fierce opposition of Technocrats. Therefore, there is a balance that gives all characters, PCs and NPCs, a reason not to chance the world into a highly magical one.

Magical drain

Maybe all magic in your setting opens up the doors to a shadowy world, making towns where more magic is used more haunted by supernatural creatures in the long run; or maybe it is well-known all magic brings forth bad luck and curse to the lands where it's used. It might enrage elemental spirits and attract floods and droughts, or make cattle die and spoil milk. None of those solutions need a mechanic for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such are my ideas so far! What have you tried so far?

low magic does not mean there is no high level magic just that it is harder to get to or do. i would suggest making casters go after components for spells and removing there gaining of spells when that level this should make the game harder for them but not super nerf them to the point of being unplayable because that is what this really is. a caster here would be super hard to play and have fun playing. also you could make all casters roll on wild magic even divine caster. try to enhance under use of over looked mechanics and not force a roll out of the game. these rule changes would make fights over 10th level really hard.

Edit: if your going low magic lock downs some spells like wish and true resurrection but players tend to not like it when there options in the base game get removed. 5e is well balanced for low magic when you play in the levels meant for low magic. anything above 10 and you characters are no longer normal people they are legends and epic heros. a 10th level character is on par with a general or warrior king. so if you are going low magic stay under the 10th level of play.

Bladewing2013
2018-05-04, 03:34 PM
You could try something like the dragonlance campaign had. Casting spells makes your body weak. Maybe every time you cast a spell you have to make a con save, and every fail drops you one down the exhaustion track.

fbelanger
2018-05-04, 03:40 PM
Cap spell level at 3, or 2 if really low magic.
All classes are affected, but if you allow MC a player could go for cleric 5/ wizard 5 and have decent spell casting but nothing world changing.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-04, 05:25 PM
low magic does not mean there is no high level magic just that it is harder to get to or do. i would suggest making casters go after components for spells and removing there gaining of spells when that level this should make the game harder for them but not super nerf them to the point of being unplayable
Noooooo, no no no no no. Do not do this. Masking power behind annoyance makes EVERYONE miserable. People will avoid the thing in question because they don't want to play Savings and Spreadsheets (and thus becomes a dishonest ban), or else they'll deal with it and be annoyed and grumpy (and thus lose out on the single most important thing in the game, which is fun).

Not mention that having to stop and acquire spell components will make the game MORE caster-centric, because you now have to devote substantial table time to their replenishing their component pouches.

---

If you want to lower the impact of magic... Limited use cantrips is a really good idea, since you don't want magic to be a casual thing. 2*proficiency/day might be a little low; I'd probably go with a short-rest refresh, but the idea is sound. And a bit of forced multiclassing is brilliant; it reduces the power of MAGIC without having such an effect on characters.

All I can suggest otherwise is to dig up some non-magical third party options to add to the mix, since a shocking number of 5e classes involve greater or lesser amounts of magic. I did some playing around here : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543153-5e-Low-Magic-Overhaul-%28Two-new-classes-and-one-new-subclasses-included!%29

Trask
2018-05-05, 08:00 AM
Wow that multiclassing rule for casters is a great one. Its one that players might actually like.

etrpgb
2018-05-05, 08:52 AM
Those probably help a bit. You can simply skip the full-casters also, as DND5e works you can still have a working party.

But honestly, it is a game where out of 12 classes only 5 have no spells (counting archetypes like the Arcane Trickster or the Eldritch Knight the number would even lower); if you want a low-magic campaign, are you sure you are playing the best game?

Zorrah
2018-05-05, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I've come to dislike neutering of the mage types just because your world is a low magic world. Rather than mess with mechanics, consider this. 1) Characters are the exception, not the rule. Though, magic is extremely powerful, 5e casters aren't the bone crushing superhero compared to certain fighter and barbarian builds, and even so, that style will get the attention of people in such a world so that you should play up the 2) burn the witch philosophy in such a world. Since magic is unknown or maybe untrusted, NPC's will respond to magic in a manner that reflects that.

The reason I really dislike messing with the player mechanics is that there are systems other than D&D better suited to running such a game and while it is your world, it is their character within your world. By playing it out like this, you do have more story opprotunities, especially considering those questions. How is the character seen in this universe? How did they come by their power? What happens when someone distrusts the source of their power?

Also, when exploring the burn the witch concept, be very careful that you are just exploring a storyline, rather than punishing the player for daring to play a wizard.

mephnick
2018-05-05, 12:53 PM
A cap at 11th level.

You can simply skip the full-casters

Do both of these and you have a good low magic setting. If your players bristle at it they probably didn't want to play in a low magic setting anyway.

opaopajr
2018-05-05, 02:08 PM
My Low Magic setting fix for Cantrips is: # Cantrips = Int attribute, refreshes from Long Rest.

Perhaps for a Low-Mid Magic setting variant do the above, but allow Short Rest to spend a Hit Die and get (2*HD)+PB Cantrips back.