PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Weapon Spells & Personal Weapon Augmentation?

Citadel97501
2018-05-04, 04:05 AM
Hello, I was just wondering if you can cast the Artificer spell, Weapon Augmentation on a weapon spell? Such as Thunder Lance or Flame Blade?

This just seems to be an interesting trick, and would likely be kind of meh due to how difficult it is to get those spells to work effectively for an Artificer?

Telonius
2018-05-04, 06:44 AM
From the class description:

An artificer’s infusions can only be imbued into an item or a construct (including warforged). He can not, for example, simply imbue an ally with bull’s strength. He must instead imbue that ability into an item his ally is wearing.

For the Weapon Augmentation infusions, the target is always "Weapon touched," so you have to cast it directly onto the weapon you're trying to affect. (Can't cast it onto the guy's belt buckle, or something; can't just cast it onto a Warforged).

If the spell you cast (like Thunderlance, Flame Blade, etc) summons a physical weapon, you could infuse a Weapon Augmentation onto that. Unfortunately Flame Blade is out since the description specifically says it's immaterial. If it can't be touched, it can't be infused. Thunderlance ... is probably "ask your DM" to see if a [Force] effect is close enough. Personally I'd say it is - [Force] effects are real enough to smack into, as in Wall of Force, and can hold weight, like Floating Disc. But I could see somebody arguing that it's made of energy, so it goes against the spirit of touching a physical object.