PDA

View Full Version : non ranger or rouge dungeon crawl build

Amdy_vill
2018-05-04, 05:03 AM
so i am looking for a non ranger of rouge build for a dungeon crawl game. only printed books are allowed so any suggestions. we are starting at level 1

Other party members
barbarian
rouge(skill monkey/ archer)
melee of some kind for the last party member

Arkhios
2018-05-04, 05:11 AM
Depends what you want to do with your character. Other than that, I can only suggest the Dungeon Delver feat and that you pick up a background you think is fitting for the concept. Skill and tools selection can make all the difference.

PS. Rouge = french and means red. Rogue = the scoundrel we all love to hate (sorry, can't help it. This thing just rubs me the wrong way. Every time.)

Amdy_vill
2018-05-04, 06:42 AM
Depends what you want to do with your character. Other than that, I can only suggest the Dungeon Delver feat and that you pick up a background you think is fitting for the concept. Skill and tools selection can make all the difference.

PS. Rouge = french and means red. Rogue = the scoundrel we all love to hate (sorry, can't help it. This thing just rubs me the wrong way. Every time.)

sorry about that. also i am filling the magic roll in the party so i am looking at bard wizard, palalock coffielock or something like that

nickl_2000
2018-05-04, 06:44 AM
If you are looking for a stealthy character that has lots of skills, a Lore Bard would be a great choice. Between Jack of all trades, expertise, and all your skills you can know just about everything.

Druid is also an interesting choice. You can easily disarm traps by throwing summons at it, and your wildshapes are versatile enough to solve lots of problem.

nickl_2000
2018-05-04, 06:45 AM
sorry about that. also i am filling the magic roll in the party so i am looking at bard wizard, palalock coffielock or something like that

Okay, if you are filling a magic role in the party. Then either of my choices are even strong options, but Lore Bard is probably the best bet, although neither of my mentions are major damage dealers.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-04, 06:52 AM
Okay, if you are filling a magic role in the party. Then either of my choices are even strong options, but Lore Bard is probably the best bet, although neither of my mentions are major damage dealers.

if i do go bard i would like to stay away from the skill monkey roll as someone is trying to fill that in the party already. but i would have never thought druid for a dungeon crawl.

nickl_2000
2018-05-04, 06:55 AM
if i do go bard i would like to stay away from the skill monkey roll as someone is trying to fill that in the party already. but i would have never thought druid for a dungeon crawl.

Druids are amazing at battlefield control, and usually in a dungeon you battlefield is small. In a smaller battlefield, controlling can be amazing (and dangerous since you have to be more careful). Also, summons are great to create a fur wall and protect you.

If you are playing the role of magic user, I wouldn't choose Moon Druid. Shepard would be a great choice, as would land.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-04, 07:24 AM
Are you going to have to be the one dealing with traps? If so, a Wizard might be good, since a trap-monkey really needs Dex and Int. If not, then any caster will be fine-- the game was more-or-less designed around dungeon crawls, after all.

Arkhios
2018-05-04, 08:14 AM
Dex based Eldritch Knight or Wizard (or a multiclass) with a heavy-ish focus on Abjuration might actually be quite decent trap-springer dungeon delver.

Petrocorus
2018-05-04, 08:45 AM
I think it could help if you'd tell us what are the other party members so far, and what roles IC and OoC you'll have to fill.

When it comes to being stealthy and scouting, Bards, notably Lore Bard are very good. Druids, with their Wildshape into cat or spider and later bat or owl are properly amazing. Warlock and Shadow Monks also have good features in this department.

For utilities, Druids have their spells (and no limit in spells known) and Bards have a lot of skills. Warlock also have some stuffs.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-04, 08:48 AM
I think it could help if you'd tell us what are the other party members so far, and what roles IC and OoC you'll have to fill.

When it comes to being stealthy and scouting, Bards, notably Lore Bard are very good. Druids, with their Wildshape into cat or spider and later bat or owl are properly amazing. Warlock and Shadow Monks also have good features in this department.

For utilities, Druids have their spells (and no lmit in spells known) and Bards have a lot of skills. Warlock also have some stuffs.

ok added that to the top

nickl_2000
2018-05-04, 08:53 AM
ok added that to the top

Alright, every time I see more information the more I feel confident about the Druid as a choice. Based on the other characters in the party, having a healer who can cast spells like Healing Word and Healing Spirit would be extremely helpful.

Underdark Land Druid would be very fitting I think.

MagneticKitty
2018-05-04, 10:12 AM
I think forge cleric would be fun. You can bless your weapon if you think there will be things that resist magic, or bless your armor and have +2 ac by level 6. Start fighter for shield proficiency and defense fighting style. You can roll around with 23 ac active no concentration and healing for the team. You can also craft weapons in a pinch. Maybe a str , Wis, or con race. Genasi or firbolg perhaps.
Add shield of faith and your ac is nuts.
I'd go between 1-5 fighter / forge cleric x
If you go cleric 17 minimum you get resistance to non magic b, p, s.
But fighter 5 is extra attack. And an asi

Edit for phone auto correct.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-04, 12:24 PM
Based on that party composition, I'd say they need two main things: healing and utility magic. Druid and Bard can both fill the role, and if you do go Bard you can concentrate on skills the Rogue doesn't.

If you go Druid, I'd suggest maybe Circle of Dreams- the second-level feature is comparable to Healing Word 1/day/level, and the 6th level feature is perfect for a dungeon crawl. (Hide the entire camp AND give the lookout a huge boost, every time you rest? Yes please!). With a high Wisdom, you'll rock perception checks. Something like Wood Elf would be a good race choice, with good stat boosts and a ranged weapon proficiency that'll out-punch cantrips for quite a while.

djreynolds
2018-05-04, 05:30 PM
Look in the PHB at the wizard spell selection, aside from healing it can handle all jobs.
Dip a level knowledge cleric or 2. Their channel divinity is awesome.
Bard is also a great choice
Cleric is great as well.
Land druids can be useful