PDA

View Full Version : Gloves of snaring

ZorroGames
2018-05-04, 02:46 PM
My GWF ended up with these. Can he use them when not in melee?

I figure he has both hands free (no shield) until he draws his Maul or Great-sword. That should work?

Can he use the gloves if he has a long sword in one hand before entering melee? Here is where the discussion became a matter of interpretation.

Not sure I understand the DMG language for this item versus AL DM description.

Looking for clarity.

DMThac0
2018-05-04, 02:52 PM
"...provided that you have a free hand."

With that bit of line, my interpretation is: as long as one hand is not preoccupied you are capable of using the gloves as intended.

GWF: you can hold it with one hand when not attacking.

Any one hand weapon: You have a hand free as long as you aren't dual wielding/shield.

nickl_2000
2018-05-04, 02:55 PM
According to JC you only need to have two hands on a two handed weapon when you are using it (as in actively attacking with it)

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/516978109342445569

So, I don't see why you couldn't use the free hand on someone else's turn to catch a missile

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 06:51 AM
Gracias to all.

Guess I will keep it even though that makes 4 items by 5th level. Long as it is useful... why trade it?

nickl_2000
2018-05-07, 07:20 AM
Gracias to all.

Guess I will keep it even though that makes 4 items by 5th level. Long as it is useful... why trade it?

Can you get something that would be more useful? Maybe trade it with a squisy caster who will always have a free hand and is more likely to be a target of arrows?

Laserlight
2018-05-07, 09:02 AM
I was going to suggest that you give it to a bard, because I misread it as "gloves of snarking", which are prized by keyboard warriors.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-07, 10:12 AM
I was going to suggest that you give it to a bard, because I misread it as "gloves of snarking", which are prized by keyboard warriors.

This one is going in my backpocket as a minor magical item.

Gloves of Snarking.
While attuned to this pair of gloves, you have access to the Vicious Mockery cantrip. You use the highest between your Int, Wis, or Cha modifiers to determine the save DC.

DMThac0
2018-05-07, 10:19 AM
This one is going in my backpocket as a minor magical item.

Gloves of Snarking.
While attuned to this pair of gloves, you have access to the Vicious Mockery cantrip. You use the highest between your Int, Wis, or Cha modifiers to determine the save DC.

*Player imposes disadvantage if they can come up with a witty comment at the time of use. Must be original or meme related.

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 12:24 PM

OMG, great idea. 🤣

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 01:18 PM
Can you get something that would be more useful? Maybe trade it with a squisy caster who will always have a free hand and is more likely to be a target of arrows?

Tried posting it on trading group on FB. Crickets. But many ideas of trading seem like “take my junk and give me good stuff.” That said I did get a nice +1 Battle Axe for my Mt. Dwarf Life Cleric that that FB page. So it does often work.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-07, 06:25 PM
*Player imposes disadvantage if they can come up with a witty comment at the time of use. Must be original or meme related.

Unless they're already playing a Bard, I'm guessing most Mockery's will be some sort of meme, or bad pun.

If they ARE playing a Bard.. they've already been giving you memes and bad puns for this sorta thing.

It comes with the geeky territory of playing D&D, pretty much.