PDA

View Full Version : The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice OOC

Pages : 1 2 [3]

farothel
2020-12-24, 07:40 AM
Couple of things. First, Heltinne had volunteered to take the last watch (to greet the dawn) but not a big deal. Second, I never saw an answer on whether we were fully healed up. [/i]

Bjorn can then take the middle watch. I didn't know who had which watch anymore, so I may have made the mistake.

Starbin
2020-12-24, 12:35 PM
No need to change ... in the future that’ll be her MO. Of course, depending on how long each shift is, we may end up doubling up anyway (with twice the opportunity to fail a Perception check!)

Ghostfoot
2020-12-24, 04:51 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that you & yours stay safe & well this festive season.

It's a Lego & boardgame feeding frenzy here at Chez Ghostfoot this morning.

Holiday time here for me now, so lots of time for gaming for next 2-3 weeks :smallbiggrin:.

@Starbin: Sadly with your Perception & Sense Motive rolls you're not going to get much info. Knowledge check indicates 'feels like fey' but that's about all since untrained.

Re: healing, I think it's been ~2 sleeps since the big fight now so yes, everyone can be fully healed

Farmerbink
2020-12-30, 01:45 PM
Heya, folks!

I noticed earlier today that Farothel and Starbin are already both on a small Discord server that I "manage" for out-of-character, text-speed communication. Often, it's random chat, but it can occasionally be very helpful to discuss minor concerns or discrepancies faster than an OOC forum thread tends to allow.

To that end, I wanted to throw out the option for anyone else (perhaps especially Ghostfoot) to join us. Feel free to follow this link (https://discord.gg/JB3SwMyZkG) for an invitation to the server. If you don't want to, no harm no foul- I like having it available, but that doesn't mean everyone else does, too. :smallwink:

Ghostfoot
2020-12-30, 04:13 PM
Hey FB,

Thanks for the invite.

I'll try to keep anything that needs a record kept in the OOC rather than Discord as I find info easily lost there. Also for politeness if we're not all on there, I'll be posting here.

Farmerbink
2020-12-30, 08:56 PM
agreed in both cases. :thumbsup:

farothel
2020-12-31, 05:06 AM
Bjorn is shaken, so he's a bit 'weirded out'. I haven't made him go all berserk, as I thought that would be a bit much. But when confronted with the unknown, his first thought is to reach for his weapon. The cold iron sword in this case.

Ghostfoot
2020-12-31, 06:19 AM
when confronted with the unknown, his first thought is to reach for his weapon.

Said like a true Northlander, if not a long-lived one!

But hey, the goal is to die in battle and go to Valhalla, right? :smallbiggrin:

Farmerbink
2021-01-16, 11:19 PM
Hey, anything else we can add to help you move forward, Ghostfoot?

Ghostfoot
2021-01-16, 11:30 PM
Hopefully in a few hours. Sorry, was travelling and got back yesterday. Thought I would have more time while I was away.

Farmerbink
2021-01-17, 09:41 AM
No worries, I just wanted to reach out. :thumbsup:

Ghostfoot
2021-02-05, 04:17 PM
Impressive performances everyone! You have won over the fickle fey folk of the forest - for today anyway!!

Ghostfoot
2021-02-20, 03:36 AM
I'll squeeze down the shaft. With her height and reach does she need to make a check to climb the 10ft or can she just lower hersefl?

Yeah it seems she can conveniently just lower herself given her height.

A screen made of woven brush (Break DC 12, Hardness 2, hp 15) is secured at the bottom of the chimney and blocks further access.

DrK
2021-02-21, 05:43 AM
Yeah it seems she can conveniently just lower herself given her height.

A screen made of woven brush (Break DC 12, Hardness 2, hp 15) is secured at the bottom of the chimney and blocks further access.

If I can try and break through as part of this round then [roll0] for Str. Not sure if +1 for large applies or not

farothel
2021-03-06, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure how far I can get in one round going down or if I have to make a roll, but let me know if I have to.

I'm sure the others can deal with the last guard, right?

Ghostfoot
2021-03-07, 05:02 AM
I'm not sure how far I can get in one round going down or if I have to make a roll, but let me know if I have to.

I'm sure the others can deal with the last guard, right?

You can make it all the way down to Freyja with a Climb DC10 if you would like.

farothel
2021-03-07, 06:04 AM
You can make it all the way down to Freyja with a Climb DC10 if you would like.

If I can take 10, I'll do so, other wise: [roll0]

EDIT: it's the same, so I'll make it I guess.

Ghostfoot
2021-03-09, 04:43 AM
If I can take 10, I'll do so, other wise: [roll0]

EDIT: it's the same, so I'll make it I guess.

Cool, that'll send you crashing safely down next to Freyja

Ghostfoot
2021-03-12, 02:26 PM
Elissa looses another arrow at the remaining bandit, and then makes a break for the cave entrance.

[snip]

Moving to prepare for casting summon nature's ally into the cave.

Do you want to drop down into the cave too, next to Freyja & Bjorn (Climb DC10), or stay up top? You'll have enough movement if you want.

Farmerbink
2021-03-12, 10:35 PM
I must be misreading the map, but no big issue. I'd rather she stayed up top, for now.

Starbin
2021-03-14, 01:14 AM
[roll0] since I don’t think I can take 10

farothel
2021-04-10, 02:28 AM
It seems I have gotten a D4 instead of a D20 the past few rounds. :smallfurious: This way it's going to take a while.

Farmerbink
2021-04-10, 04:42 PM
Just an aside, if the eagle was in the radius of the sleep spell, it should have been targeted first. I assume it wasn't.

Also... uhhh, does it attack the nearest enemy, if I'm asleep? I'm going to assume it does, since it's only an action to make it do something *other* than that.

I'm not quite sure how to determine who is the nearest enemy by the map. If it's P/12, and the eagle can occupy P/11, it'll get a full attack action with its 5-foot "step."

[roll0] talon 1
[roll1] CC
[roll2] damage and crit bonus

[roll3] talon 2
[roll4] CC
[roll5] damage and crit bonus

[roll6] beak
[roll7] CC
[roll8] damage and crit bonus

Obviously, if it has to move more than 5', it only gets one of those attacks. Regardless, Elissa remains asleep for 10 or 20 rounds minus 1.

Ghostfoot
2021-04-10, 05:18 PM
Just an aside, if the eagle was in the radius of the sleep spell, it should have been targeted first. I assume it wasn't.

10ft radius put the eagle just outside the area of effect (due to how diagonal measurement works).

There is a valid case for the spell to have affected Heltinne rather than Freyja. I typed the post up and only at the end realised she had 5ft stepped closer in. I figured you guys (well, DrK) could live with my mistake.

Also... uhhh, does it attack the nearest enemy, if I'm asleep? I'm going to assume it does, since it's only an action to make it do something *other* than that.

I'm not quite sure how to determine who is the nearest enemy by the map. If it's P/12, and the eagle can occupy P/11, it'll get a full attack action with its 5-foot "step."

[roll0] talon 1
[roll1] CC
[roll2] damage and crit bonus

[roll3] talon 2
[roll4] CC
[roll5] damage and crit bonus

[roll6] beak
[roll7] CC
[roll8] damage and crit bonus

Obviously, if it has to move more than 5', it only gets one of those attacks. Regardless, Elissa remains asleep for 10 or 20 rounds minus 1.

I believe that the eagle stays. The spell is not 'concentration' so I think you're good.

The map is a little imprecise for those of us wanting certainty around tactical combat movement. The eagle is 'small' so lets say it can 5ft step into P11 no problem.

I do think that a flying creature like the eagle has to make a fly check to hover/ 5ft step. I'm not 100%, I don't deal with flying rules a lot. Regardless, it makes the check:

Eagle fly check (1d20+8)[22]

Again, I don't believe that the Fly check is a move action, so I think the eagle gets a full attack. It hits for 4+2 = 6 damage.

DrK
2021-04-11, 01:56 AM
Ouch, that Styr the ugly is a real swine! Thats Freyja unconcius and dying.
Does she stabilise [roll0] on a 1 she stabilises

Ghostfoot
2021-04-16, 04:15 PM
Ouch, that Styr the ugly is a real swine! Thats Freyja unconcius and dying.
Does she stabilise [roll0] on a 1 she stabilises

I think it's only a DC10 Con check to stabilise (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/Conditions/#TOC-Dying)? Much easier to survive another round:

Con DC10 (1d20)[15]

DrK
2021-04-17, 01:27 AM
I think it's only a DC10 Con check to stabilise (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/Conditions/#TOC-Dying)? Much easier to survive another round:

Con DC10 (1d20)[15]

Ah, I was on DND mode. I stabilise! Glad you rolled that and not me

Ghostfoot
2021-04-17, 09:28 PM
AoO vs Elissa
Club [roll0] damage [roll1]

farothel
2021-05-02, 04:50 AM
I think that a 23 should be enough to hit, hopefully the 5 damage is enough to take him out (or at least enough to render him unconscious so we can capture him as we did with his flunkies).

Ghostfoot
2021-05-02, 05:11 AM
I think that a 23 should be enough to hit, hopefully the 5 damage is enough to take him out (or at least enough to render him unconscious so we can capture him as we did with his flunkies).

That'll take him down nicely :-)

farothel
2021-06-14, 03:21 PM
Here's my bard: Anna Sagewood (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2469758)

DrK
2021-06-16, 07:50 AM
Had a hectic week with manufacturing issues but I'll pull together a rogue (pirate) who enjoys a life on the waves and plundering and looting

DrK
2021-06-23, 05:32 AM
Signun (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2475168)the raider is ready to rock (just needs some backstory adding)

Ghostfoot
2021-06-23, 05:38 AM
Nice, looking mean team! :smallbiggrin:

Ghostfoot
2021-06-25, 03:10 PM
Timeline of the Northlands: Common Knowledge
(available to anyone who can make an untrained Take 10 DC10 Knowledge check; ie Int 10+)

Year
Event

Althing of Storstrøm Vale founded

Five siblings of Gat clan relocate to Bornhølm Peninsula in dissension from assembly form of government represented in Things and Althing; Gatland founded

Gat-Hrolf feud begins

Kraki Haraldson slays red wyrm Verthenstyr and recovers the sword Kroenarck from beneath Mount Helgastervän

Kraki Haraldson unites all jarldoms and named High Køenig of the Northlands

Oathbreakers assassinate Kraki Haraldson and flee to mountains of Seydiford Peninsula; High Køenig Kraki Haraldson interred with Kroenarck overlooking Storm River; Athils the Seer prophecies no High Køenig will rule the Northlands again until Kroenarck finds a worthy hand

Vastavikland founded by rebels on Seydiford Peninsula

Disappearance of Folkmar the Reaver after 30 years of raiding

First sighting of Jomsvikings with raid on Tallsinki

Jomsvikings raids increase in frequency around North Sea

Combined fleet of longships from Storstrøm Vale, Hordaland, Hrolfland, and Gatland defeat Jomsviking fleet at Battle of Kulding Swells; Allied fleet pursues surviving Jomsviking ships back to Jomsburg and are totally destroyed; Alliance falls apart, Northlanders avoid Jomsburg Island; Jomsviking raids greatly curtailed and focus farther abroad than North Sea

Hrolfs employ Southlander mercenaries to stymie Gat raids

Beast Cult of Shibauroth driven out of Storstrøm Vale

First Althing of Estinfird convened at Three Rivers trading post

Campaign start

Ghostfoot
2021-06-25, 03:15 PM
History of the Northlands: Ancient History

Knowledge History (Trained only, Take 20, DC25)

The story of the Northlands is ancient; it goes far back to a time when the world sat differently in the Great Expanse and the Northlands were not yet cold. Even in those distant and ancient days, there were men dwelling in the Northlands. Yet despite the length of human habitation in the Northlands, the people currently known as Northlanders have actually lived there only for slightly less than 800 years and are, in fact, the third migration of human settlers, having arrived from a land much farther to the south. They are what is thought of when folk of the Lost Lands think of the Northlands, and their history is an epic worthy of the harsh lands they now hold. But no history of the Northlands can be told without speaking of the first humans to live there.

The first settlers of the Northlands were organized tribes of peoples clad in hides and wielding weapons of wood and stone. Some of these tribes even knew the secrets of working bronze, and these were the princes among the peoples known as the Andøvan. Known throughout most of Akados as the Ancient Ones by modern folk, in the Northlands they have retained their identity as the Andøvan if only due to the presence of the mountain range by that name that has survived in ancestral memory for thousands of years. These lost folk left behind only barrow mounds, earthen hill forts, and enigmatic rings of standing stones upon the heights. The ancients who once dwelt in the Northlands are still held in a mixture of awe and fear by modern Northlanders, their barrow fields still haunted by the specters of their civilization that walk the night-darkened hills and forests.

While it remains a mystery what happened to the many tribes of Ancient Ones that dwelt throughout Akados, in the Northlands the oracle Siljus spoke doom over the Andøvan when he said, “Seek you the mountains, tribes of the gray sea, and there you shall know your doom.” His words dutifully scribed on the Stone of Andøvan, the tribe’s chieftain ritually strangled the blind seer for such an ill-omened utterance, even though he protested his innocence to the last. Such measures did not save the Andøvan of the north, however, for they soon learned their doom when from the Stoneheart Mountains far to the west came a migration of giants, foremost among them were hordes of trolls and troll-kin. While the giants primarily took to the mountain peaks to make their homes in caves and rock shelters, the trolls descended upon the lowlands around the sea to claim their homes among the human-held lands. The Andøvan fought this onslaught for many years, but the tribes never fully united and ultimately they fell to the trolls one by one. Those who survived became thralls to their troll overlords, and the Andøvan ceased to exist in the north as over generations they became savage troll-blooded people called the thrydreg — the last remnant of Andøvan blood long polluted in their thralldom to the trolls.

Ghostfoot
2021-06-25, 03:20 PM
History of the Northlands: Recent History

Knowledge History (Trained only, Take 20, DC20)

Two and a half thousand years ago, after the third great elven exodus, a tribe of wild elves known as the Nûk came upon the Northlands seeking a peaceful home far from the ever-encroaching Hyperboreans of the south. The thrydreg still held the coastal lowlands, and giants were plentiful in the mountain heights, but in the forests and plains north of the mountains, the elves found a new home that eventually became known as Nûkland. These elves did not build cities or large settlements but instead elected to remain in small bands, hunting among the forests to avoid the notice of the giants and to be able to pack up and move on quickly should human intruders show up in their territory once again.

When the poles of the world shifted nearly 1,500 years later, the Northlands suddenly found itself on the very edge of the arctic. Temperatures plummeted and powerful blizzards dumped vast amounts of snow over the formerly temperate lands. The thrydreg were ill-prepared for such changes, and famine and warfare overtook the troll-kin tribes as they competed for ever-dwindling resources. The agile Nûk fared better, quickly adapting to hunting among the snow-laden forests and across the newly formed tundra as the mega-fauna that they lived off of were able to adapt to the colder clime as well.

It was into these new subarctic conditions that a tribe of the wandering Shattered Folk, bands of the long-ago defeated Hundaei, arrived in the Northlands led by Hvran Kalsong. Known as the Uln, this clan saw that ferocious bands of troll-kin still roamed the coastal lowlands and that elves held the arboreal forest to the north. A raid by the thrydreg killed Hvran’s son and took his daughter as thrall. Knowing his people to be too weak to challenge the savage thrydreg or avenge his family, Hvran led his people farther north until they came upon the Seal Coast and the Wailing Mountains where the Ulnat separated into small bands and villages to resume the ways of their distant ancestors.

Barely a century and a half later, another migration of humans began for the Northlands. At the far southern end of the continent of Akados, on the aptly named Helcynngae Peninsula lived the Heldring, a barbarous people of feared warriors of great size and martial prowess who had sold the soul of their people to the goddess Hel in exchange for might and protection from the invading legions of the Hyperboreans. This contract had served well, for the Hyperboreans were never able to conquer these tribes and ultimately had to wall off the entire peninsula with a defensive breastwork known as the Helwall. It was from this ruthless and bloodthirsty people that the final migration emerged.

Not all of the tribes among the Heldring were as devoted to the Lady of Pestilence and, at a time when her cult’s power was waxing among the Heldring, one thegn called Swein Sigurdson turned his back on the wicked ways of Hel and sought an escape for his people. Swein gathered his family and related clans and headed north to cross the Helwall. The clergy of Hel, however, learned of his defection and sent an army in pursuit. Unable to reach the Helwall, Swein retreated into the mountains of Cumborian to find safety. The Helite council’s army pursued doggedly and drove them ever deeper among the jagged clefts. Finally, Swein and his people were forced to seek shelter in a cave and await the arrival of their eminent executioners. However, even as the Helite raiders charged up the valley and Swein formed his shieldwall across the mouth of the cave, an earthquake struck the valley. The cliff face above the cave mouth collapsed, sealing it off and trapping Swein’s people within while killing many of the charging Helite warriors.

Saved by seemingly divine intervention, Swein nevertheless despaired at the prospect of his people dying trapped within the collapsed cavern. However, when torches were lit, it was found that the back of the cave had likewise collapsed to reveal a series of natural tunnels that ran deep beneath the earth and into the Under Realms. For two years, the clans following Swein survived and forged their path through the darkness of the Under Realms on what they came to call the Neimbrall Trail. At some point during that journey the Æsir gods of their ancestors, long forgotten when Hel became the dominant deity of the Helcynngae Peninsula, reappeared to them. Swein received a vision from Wotan the All-Father of a distant land of snowy peaks and timbered forests, far from the Helcynngae Peninsula, a land where they could hack their homes out of the wilderness and live as a free people.

Swein Sigurdson became the first godi and led his people toward this promised land. For nearly three years, the clans of Swein stumbled through the dark, being forged by the hardships they faced and tempered by the foes they fought until finally one day he led them into the light of day from beneath the a chain of mountains in a wide valley they named Storstrøm. Across the vale at the foot of another mountain range they found the Stone of Andøvan, which gave cryptic clues to what people had lived in the valley long before, and named these mountains for them as a result.
Unfortunately for Swein’s people, the lands they had found were not unoccupied; the thrydreg still held sway in the lowlands around the North Sea. But the Æsir favored Swein’s people and provided them with a stone fortress built upon a river from which they could defend themselves and begin their own expansion. Thus with the might of their faith in the Æsir behind them and the tempering they had endured on the Neimbrall Trail within them, Swein’s clans made war upon the thrydreg. No longer as numerous as they had once been due to the faltering resources since the climate shift, and with most of their true troll overlords long since relocated into the mountains, the thrydreg fell before the onslaught of Swein and his people. In a few short years, the thrydreg had been driven from the Vale and the new society of Northlanders had been established.

Over the following decades, the Northlanders continued to push the thrydreg back. They mastered the art of crafting swift longships with which they could launch raids all along the coast, and soon the last pockets of thrydreg were destroyed or in hiding among the wildlands. Swein was named the first Køenig of Storstrøm Vale, and what became the first modern nation of the Northlands was begun.

farothel
2021-08-08, 01:39 PM
And so the great Jarl search begins. :)

Farmerbink
2021-08-09, 01:57 PM
Glad I checked the character sheet. Between a racial and cold weather gear, Elissa is ready to go!

Ghostfoot
2021-08-14, 06:41 PM
Figured I should take a leaf out of DrK's GM playbook and post for Signy the DMNPC separately to keep her more 'distinct'.

Farmerbink
2021-08-15, 09:15 PM
Some relevant questions: What's our eta to nightfall? In my head, this is an early-to-mid morning outing, but I want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting.

Also, do we have any idea what to expect besides "cold" from nightfall? I mean, as far as we know, we're literally on a floating glacier somewhere in the arctic circle, right? Is finding firewood even a thing?

Ghostfoot
2021-08-16, 06:07 AM
Some relevant questions: What's our eta to nightfall? In my head, this is an early-to-mid morning outing, but I want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting.

Also, do we have any idea what to expect besides "cold" from nightfall? I mean, as far as we know, we're literally on a floating glacier somewhere in the arctic circle, right? Is finding firewood even a thing?

Let's call it mid-late morning. But yeah, effectively a full day of adventuring ahead of you.

And yes you are literally on a floating iceberg on the cusp of the arctic circle. It's not dangerously cold right this second, but nightfall, a change in weather or more sorcerous blizzards would certainly be expected to bring chilliness. Firewood is not evident.

Lucky there's a not-at-all ominous castle ahead :-)

farothel
2021-08-16, 10:23 AM

If it's called Don'tgonearthe Castle, then I'm out. :smallbiggrin:

Farmerbink
2021-08-16, 09:13 PM
Let's call it mid-late morning. But yeah, effectively a full day of adventuring ahead of you.

And yes you are literally on a floating iceberg on the cusp of the arctic circle. It's not dangerously cold right this second, but nightfall, a change in weather or more sorcerous blizzards would certainly be expected to bring chilliness. Firewood is not evident.

"Lucky," he says. :smallbiggrin:

DrK
2021-08-17, 04:39 AM
Mystery castle on a magical ice berg.... what could possibly go wrong :smallsmile:

farothel
2021-08-18, 11:41 AM
Just to let you know, I'll be on holiday from this Friday for a week. I should have Wifi but as I'll be doing touristy stuff, I might be slower in reacting.

farothel
2021-09-05, 05:27 AM
Knowledge(planes): [roll0]

Most important thing to know: what can harm these things.

Ghostfoot
2021-09-07, 05:26 AM
Knowledge(planes): [roll0]

Most important thing to know: what can harm these things.

A very good roll. This is a degenerate ice mephit swarm.

On occasion when small populations of mephits are cut off from others of their kind and forced to exist in relative barbarity, they begin to devolve. They begin to procreate and, over a number of generations, produce in vast numbers offspring that are stunted and vile versions of the original mephits. These degenerate mephits are barely intelligent and form into tribal swarms of thousands of such creatures, possessing a malevolent instinct to hunt and kill. Though they need no sustenance, these misbegotten elemental creatures become strongly territorial and seek to slaughter any creature that comes within the bounds they have claimed, even if other mephits from other tribes.

Key immunities, lots! : usual swarm traits, DR5/ magic, immune cold, half damage piercing & slashing.

Key vulnerabilities: sunlight, water, weakness to fire, usual swarm traits eg AoE attacks

Sunlight Powerlessness (Ex) A degenerate ice mephit swarm is fragile and begins to melt when caught in sunlight (half of this chasm is in shade, half in sunlight). This does not immediately damage the swarm but makes it unable to attack and causes it to be staggered. A degenerate ice mephit swarm exposed to direct sunlight for 4 straight rounds is destroyed.

Vulnerability to Water (Ex) A degenerate mephit swarm is fragile and becomes clumped, cooled, and/or dissolved when exposed to water. If a mephit swarm comes in contact with water, it takes 1d4 points of damage per gallon and the swarm is staggered for that round. Making contact may require a ranged touch attack for a bucket of water, a spell effect, or even the slam attack of a water elemental. Damage from water-based attacks (such as an elemental slam) increases its normal damage by 50% rather than the per gallon calculation. Precipitation of any significant amount is considered 1 gallon per round.

farothel
2021-09-07, 05:52 AM
Good info. I'll wait until my init before I share though.

Starbin
2021-09-07, 08:55 AM
I think you can share immediately ... talking is a free action (within reason).

Ghostfoot
2021-09-10, 05:18 AM
I think you can share immediately ... talking is a free action (within reason).

Yes, talking (within reason) is fine out-of-turn

farothel
2021-09-10, 07:14 AM
I've done so, which I think is not too much talking. If it is, let me know. I'm not going to move in combat anyway, so I can sacrifice my move action if needed.

DrK
2021-12-19, 12:58 PM
Freyja wisdom checks
[roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

- Reflex saves if she (only) fails 2... [rol]1d20+2

Signun Wisdom Checks
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

- Reflex save if he fails 2 [roll8]

DrK
2021-12-19, 12:59 PM
Freyja Reflex save for [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2021-12-25, 05:59 PM
Could I please have a Survival check from Elissa in the first instance,
followed by Reflex saves from Elissa & Heltinne to round out the party rolls.

Might as well get 3x Wis checks from Elissa & Heltinne as well, just in case.

Ghostfoot
2021-12-25, 07:48 PM
Survival
Elissa [roll0]

Ref saves

Elissa [roll1]
Heltinne [roll2]

Wis checks
Elissa [roll3][roll4][roll5]
Heltinne [roll6][roll7][roll8]

Farmerbink
2021-12-25, 10:16 PM
Oh my. :smalleek:

Maybe I should have made you wait for me to roll XD

Ghostfoot
2022-01-14, 04:54 AM
Here's me rolling again...always a concern :smallwink:

Knowledge Nature to ID base creature

Signy [roll0]
Elissa [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2022-01-14, 05:00 AM
Signy & Elissa recognise these as statues of taer:

Taer are shaggy, primitive, naked humanoids that may be related to the yeti. They resemble prehistoric humans but are more bestial and apelike. Their fur is coated with an oily, fatty substance excreted through the pores, which protects them from cold. Taer can see clearly even in heavy snowstorms due to a second transparent eyelid that protects the eye from blowing winds and heavy snow. Taer never wear clothing, although they do sometimes wear necklaces and bracelets of tooth and horn.

Taer do not have a formal language as such; they communicate with one another through grunts, hooting, and yelling, as well as a body language similar to that of apes.

Taer attack with their fists and bite, but occasionally use stone spears in combat. They are fierce creatures and very territorial, attacking any living creature that wanders into the area. Taer use their knowledge of the land to their advantage during combat by creating avalanches, burrowing under snow and attacking from surprise, and using snow-covered pits to trap their prey.

Immune to cold; vulnerable to fire.

Ghostfoot
2022-01-22, 07:00 AM
linguistics to identify the language: (1d20+5)[22]

good idea, haven't used that skill like that before but it makes sense

the language is Abyssal (:smalleek:)

I hope to update IC tomorrow

Farmerbink
2022-01-23, 10:26 PM
Fort DC 13: [roll0]

Starbin
2022-01-25, 05:31 PM
[roll0] vs DC 13.

EDIT: Sigh.

DrK
2022-01-27, 04:47 AM
Yup, when they start saying "they speak abysaal" it was never going to go well! :smallsmile:

I'll do the Fort saves now as I'll probably need them after the speedy Taer
Signun [roll0]
Freyja [roll1]

farothel
2022-02-05, 05:33 PM
Anna is clearly still impressed by the attack.

Ghostfoot
2022-04-23, 04:11 PM
Bjorn torch attack
Fort save DC14 or weapon shatters [roll0]
damage [roll1] (+3 Str, +1 bardic) +1 fire

Starbin
2022-04-29, 03:07 PM
Whelp ... maybe a crit. [roll0], [roll1]

EDIT: Sigh ... probably not

DrK
2022-05-11, 03:59 PM
Signun and Freyja will wait to see what Elissa discovers before they start doing anything

farothel
2022-08-04, 03:16 PM
I'll be away from the 6th of August until the 23rd. While I normally should have internet at my destinations, I will be slower in replying, especially the last 5 days when I'm at the Discworld Con.

Farmerbink
2022-08-17, 11:53 AM
botched the perception: [roll0]

farothel
2022-08-31, 02:00 PM
I'll be on holiday from Saturday. While I will have internet (normally) the first days, it will probably not be all that good and from the 8th until the 19th or 20th, I will have no internet at all. From then on until the 29th (when I'll be back) it's probably spotty again. GM feel free to bot my character where needed during my no-internet period.

Ghostfoot
2022-09-06, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I hope to post shortly, work permitting. Based on current form I don't imagine we will have gotten too far while you are away. Have a great holiday :smallsmile:

farothel
2022-09-07, 08:19 PM
As said before, tomorrow will start my internet free period until around the 20th of September. Please bot my character as needed.

Ghostfoot
2022-11-04, 04:31 PM
Here's the map:

https://i.ibb.co/NySVKH0/Ice-Palace-17.png

Signun (& Signy) still to go.

DrK
2022-11-04, 05:03 PM
Sorry I'll try and catch up over the weekend

farothel
2022-11-29, 04:04 AM
Can you do a critical with a spell touch attack? Because Elissa has a natural 20 on that touch roll.

Farmerbink
2022-11-30, 11:11 AM
Can you do a critical with a spell touch attack? Because Elissa has a natural 20 on that touch roll.

Unless I misremember, or am confused by trying to learn PF2, any attack roll can crit. Some foes are immune to crits (which non-corporeal may well involve). I'll let DrK decide if the following rolls matter:
[roll0] crit confirm?
[roll1] bonus damage

farothel
2022-11-30, 11:41 AM
Unless I misremember, or am confused by trying to learn PF2, any attack roll can crit. Some foes are immune to crits (which non-corporeal may well involve). I'll let DrK decide if the following rolls matter:
[roll0] crit confirm?
[roll1] bonus damage

I don't think it will matter with that confirmation roll. :smallbiggrin:

Farmerbink
2022-12-01, 11:01 PM
I don't think it will matter with that confirmation roll. :smallbiggrin:

It is a touch attack XD

farothel
2022-12-15, 02:30 PM
Just to let you know I'll be on vacation from now Saturday until the 6th of January. I should have Wifi on location, but I'll probably be on a bit less and certainly not during the days I travel.

Ghostfoot
2022-12-17, 03:15 PM
Just to let you know I'll be on vacation from now Saturday until the 6th of January. I should have Wifi on location, but I'll probably be on a bit less and certainly not during the days I travel.

Thanks for the heads up :smallsmile:

farothel
2023-03-17, 03:24 PM
I'll be on vacation from the 18th until the 31st of March. While I do anticipate having Wifi (except for days traveling) my response might be slower. And if I drop out a few days, please just NPC me until I'm back.

farothel
2023-05-11, 05:49 AM
I'm on holiday from This Saturday (13th of May) until the 28th. I should have internet so I will be available, but I'm probably on less and I won't post on travel days.

Farmerbink
2023-05-11, 08:28 PM
Man, you take a lot of vacations! :smallwink:

farothel
2023-05-12, 09:14 AM
There were a couple close together because they were Covid postponed. And I learned after my mother´s death and my father´s CVA not to wait until I´m retired to enjoy life.

DrK
2023-05-14, 01:53 AM
Man, you take a lot of vacations! :smallwink:

We are all just jealous :smallsmile:

Farmerbink
2023-05-18, 04:34 PM
We are all just jealous :smallsmile:

You're not even a little wrong. I've got a cruise coming up in June and I'M FREAKING STOKED! :smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

farothel
2023-05-18, 07:34 PM
You're not even a little wrong. I've got a cruise coming up in June and I'M FREAKING STOKED! :smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

nice, where are you going?

Farmerbink
2023-05-18, 10:12 PM
Western Caribbean. Pretty mundane as far as cruises from Texas go.

The big deal is a solid week with my kiddos at the grandparents' house and a designated driver. :smallwink:

farothel
2023-05-19, 08:15 PM
If it's your first cruise, check out https://www.youtube.com/@tipsfortravellers
That guy has a lot of advice on cruising.

Farmerbink
2023-05-22, 09:23 PM
It's not. I think like my 7th. But thanks! I'm really looking forward to having a designated driver and a handful of personal chefs for the week :smallcool::smallcool:

DrK
2023-05-27, 03:41 AM
Western Caribbean. Pretty mundane as far as cruises from Texas go.

The big deal is a solid week with my kiddos at the grandparents' house and a designated driver. :smallwink:

A cruise round the caribbean is far from mundane if you are UK based :smallsmile: Enjoy, I hope you enjoy "Below Decks'" style levels of luxury and excess

farothel
2023-05-27, 08:55 AM
I've done diving cruises in Galapagos, Maledives, Egypt and Indonesia (Rajah Ampat). It's most likely much smaller boats (only 20 passengers max, and mostly less). Those are a lot of fun, but completely different from those giant white cruise ships.

farothel
2023-09-21, 10:44 AM
I can help with the long term care (Anna also has the heal skill). She might not be very good at it, but she can still help.

farothel
2023-09-23, 09:59 AM
Can I just throw all my CLW spells before we go to bed on Sven, so he's at least back to positive HP?

Ghostfoot
2023-09-23, 02:53 PM
Can I just throw all my CLW spells before we go to bed on Sven, so he's at least back to positive HP?

Yes that is fine.

Also anyone still fatigued from the icy waters or similar can shake that condition off.

Starbin
2023-09-25, 02:36 PM

You had extra heals? Damn ...

farothel
2023-09-25, 02:59 PM
I have three lvl 1 spells each day and I had only used 1. As spontaneous caster I can use them for whatever spell I want (from the few I know).

Starbin
2023-09-25, 04:33 PM
Oh, I get it ... Heltienne is the same. But I just remember using up all my spells pretty quickly ... especially during the fight with the haunt. No worries!

Farmerbink
2023-10-02, 08:36 PM
Elissa also has 2 CLWs she can cast before we sleep. I wasn't sure if this was actual HP-related or more story-driven.

Ghostfoot
2023-12-02, 03:45 PM
Rolling Signun's perception

Perception [roll0]

farothel
2023-12-16, 04:12 AM
I find it quite funny that a magical sword would be a secondary weapon, as we all have weapons that do more damage under normal circumstances. We best keep it with us though, just in case we encounter another haunt or something like it.

Farmerbink
2023-12-19, 10:44 PM
I hate to be difficult, but I have quite lost the ability to visualize much of anything in this place. Is there an easy way to get a more up-to-date map that I've overlooked? :smallfrown:

Ghostfoot
2023-12-21, 08:54 PM
I hate to be difficult, but I have quite lost the ability to visualize much of anything in this place. Is there an easy way to get a more up-to-date map that I've overlooked? :smallfrown:

Sure thing. I'll sort that out when I get home later tonight.

Ghostfoot
2023-12-22, 04:43 AM
https://i.ibb.co/SxRtCJj/Ice-Palace-26.png

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 02:55 PM
Does Elissa get any vibes at all regarding the Nuk holy symbol? Dunno how much of that she would recognize, much less care about....

Ghostfoot
2023-12-23, 03:21 PM
Does Elissa get any vibes at all regarding the Nuk holy symbol? Dunno how much of that she would recognize, much less care about....

Not really. There is some ancient racial history there, but mostly now forgotten/ suppressed. Would require some serious ranks in Knowledge (History/ Religion).

It is to the spirits of the land that the Nûklanders turn for divine aid and spiritual comfort. To a Nûk, the gods have turned their backs on them, but the simple spirits of the natural world will never forsake them. Animism is very strong in this faith, and every type of animal or plant, as well as natural features and events, have their guardian spirits. These spirits generally keep to their own spheres; a wolf spirit is concerned with wolf things, not bird things. The tribes’ shamans are tasked with interceding with these spirits in order to placate them or request their aid, though every Nûklander knows some simple prayers (these are not spells, just minor forms of worship).

While the Northlanders consider the Nûklanders to be natives of the area, they were in their present range when the first Northlanders wandered beyond the Wyrm Fang Mountains; the Nûklanders are in fact rather recent settlers. Nearly three thousand years ago, a new god appeared among the elven peoples of a distant land to the south. This god proclaimed he would lead his followers to a place of eternal sunshine, vast fields, and endless game. Many scoffed at this boast and called this new deity a demon, devil, or scam. A few chose to pay homage to the new god, and soon a cult formed around him. As the cult grew in power, it came into conflict with the more established elven religions. In time, this conflict transformed from simple arguments to repression of the new cult.

The Forgotten One, whose name the Nûklanders and other elves have stricken from all record, encouraged his followers to strike out against those who would oppress them, and the nation was rent in civil strife. The traditional elves won out, and the cult fled north, traveling thousands of miles and slowly working its way to the “promised land.” In the frozen reaches of the North, they entered a land that has endless daylight for half the year, but night for the other half. Vast fields of heather and flowers filled the land, at least when it was not covered by fields of snow and ice. Game was abundant, at least part of the year, but became scarce when the winter winds blew in. In their rage at this betrayal, the less-enthusiastic members of the cult turned on their leaders and in a night of slaughter ended the worship of the Forgotten One.

Trapped in the frigid north and facing their death, the small group of former cultists found themselves cast out by the elven gods. Seeking some aid in this new and barren land, they called out to the night. Not to be seduced by evil as they had before, the Nûklanders pleaded with those their people once worshipped, the spirits of the land, of the sky, of the water, and of the beasts that dwelled in that frozen waste. These spirits answered their call. To this day, the Nûklanders have adhered strictly to the worship of the spirits of nature, fearing any reference to a single god may again lead them into evil and corruption.

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 03:31 PM
cumulative total of zero ranks is unlikely to be helpful. :smalleek::smalltongue: