PDA

View Full Version : Gloomstalker stealth question

Foxydono
2018-05-04, 06:16 PM
If someone plays a gloomstalker and is in total darkness, he is effectively invisible to those who rely on darkvision if I understand it correctly. What if this character uses silence and prestidigitation to clean himself of all dirt and sweat?

Lets assume you encounters a normal monster without tremmorsense, blindsight or true seeing. Is the character effectively hidden as the creature has no normal means (smell, sight or sound) to detect the ranger?

TheUser
2018-05-04, 06:25 PM
A creature with Devil's Sight (of which there are many) will be able to see you.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-04, 06:33 PM
Being clean wouldn't stop enemies from smelling you. But for sight and sound, yes you would be correct.

Also, you're a Ranger, use Pass Without Trace instead of Silence.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-04, 06:37 PM
A creature with Devil's Sight (of which there are many) will be able to see you.

I don't think that's true, Devil's Sight only makes it so that magical darkness no longer impedes the devil's darkvision, they're still relying on darkvision to see the Gloom Stalker in this situation.

As far as I can tell, a warlocks Devil's Sight is functionally different from the feature monsters get by raw.

sophontteks
2018-05-04, 06:47 PM
Yeah, being clean will not remove your musk, but hey, might help.

My big concern is with silence. Get this. The spell has a verbal component. Its only a 20 foot sphere. Thats not super big and casting it may give you away.

From there, they can detect you by running around. Bumping into you will give you away.

TheUser
2018-05-04, 07:09 PM
I don't think that's true, Devil's Sight only makes it so that magical darkness no longer impedes the devil's darkvision, they're still relying on darkvision to see the Gloom Stalker in this situation.

As far as I can tell, a warlocks Devil's Sight is functionally different from the feature monsters get by raw.

Looks like you are 100% correct in the case of monsters! I was only thinking of Warlock Devil's Sight from the PHB

DEVIL'S SIGHT
You can see normally in darkness, both magical and
nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

So you wouldn't need Darkvision to see a player in this case.

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-04, 07:13 PM
Yep, Devil's Sight doesn't grant Darkvision. It also doesn't do anything against dim light, interestingly enough.

Malifice
2018-05-04, 11:17 PM
If someone plays a gloomstalker and is in total darkness, he is effectively invisible to those who rely on darkvision if I understand it correctly. What if this character uses silence and prestidigitation to clean himself of all dirt and sweat?

Lets assume you encounters a normal monster without tremmorsense, blindsight or true seeing. Is the character effectively hidden as the creature has no normal means (smell, sight or sound) to detect the ranger?

Did he take the hide action or not?

Sounds like he did (he took time to silence himself and clearness himself). So it depends on his stealth check result and the perception of the creature.