PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How would you stat up the offspring of a fey'ri and a feytouched?

Bad Wolf
2018-05-05, 02:07 AM
I'm inclined to just make a sun elf with the fiendish template, but that feels a little boring. Any thoughts?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-05, 02:26 AM
Unseelie Fey Fey'RI seems thematically valid and the OP nature of Unseelie Fey is eaten up by fey'RI being bad!

Crake
2018-05-05, 06:54 AM
I personally run feytouched and planetouched as templates, because I always thought the idea that an elf aasimar and a human aasimar were statistically the same made no sense. Just take the adjustments of both, apply them to a base race, and to balance the fact that you're essentially getting a whole extra base race out of the thing, I make them not change your type (so you don't get the free martial weapon proficiency of an outsider), but instead give the plane/feytouched subtype (can be affected by spells as if you were an outsider/fey) without reducing the LA as you would for normally taking what is essentially a lesser planetouched.

hamishspence
2018-05-05, 07:15 AM
I personally run feytouched and planetouched as templates, because I always thought the idea that an elf aasimar and a human aasimar were statistically the same made no sense.

As written, there are no stats for "elf aasimar" since it specifically says aasimar are humans with a fiendish celestial ancestor (or fiendish influence on ancestor).

However - I'd agree that fiends (and celestials) do breed with other creatures besides humans (hence half-fiend (and half celestial) template) - it's just humans are the commonest - so homebrewing a template version of "tiefling" to represent rarer non-human tieflings, is a good idea.

Edited.

Svata
2018-05-05, 07:43 AM
One minor point of correction. Aasimar would be celestial influence/ancestor, not fiendish.

hamishspence
2018-05-05, 07:49 AM
One minor point of correction. Aasimar would be celestial influence/ancestor, not fiendish.

Noted, and fixed.

Bad Wolf
2018-05-05, 03:01 PM
Alright, thanks everyone.

Ramza00
2018-05-05, 03:07 PM
1 or 2 levels of the Half Fey Template Class which is located here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Half Fey was originally a template with 2 level adjustment in Fiend Follio, but the later source allows you to now take it as a 1 level or 2 level savage progression class (which has different rules than savage species versions of progression classes). Furthermore Half Fey template class can be taken at a later date and is not forced at character creation, for example hanging around the fey long enough can cause this change to occur in a non Fey ancestry person. Or this is me explaining how you can flavor it, your fey blood awakens when you been around fey or something else to activate said blood.

I would also change the "butterfly wings" to more "batlike wings" this is a flavor change and flavor changes that do not change mechanics have been encouraged since the original DMG and Players Handbook in 3.0 and 3.5.

-----

If you want to mechanically make them Outsiders and not Planetouched or Fey the Otherworldly Regional Feat also does this. From Players Guide to Faerurn, Otherworldly allows anyone of the region (under 3.0 rules) but people of the Human, certain Elf Subraces, and Spirit Folk to now be considered Outsiders (Native).

Now a Half Fey with no Fey HD and an Outsider Native really have very little difference. Outsider Native gives you Darkvision 60ft, Half Fey with no Fey HD gives you low light vision. Outsider (Native) gives you proficiency with all Martial Weapons. But there are a couple spells, magic effects (such as Bane), etc that impacts Fey but not outsiders or humanoids, and impacts Outsiders (Native) but not Fey or Humanoid. So Type Pyramid says Outsider Native should Trump Fey. On the breathe, eat, and sleep but Fey and Outsider (Natives) are identical. Both Outsider Native and Fey are subject to things like Raise Dead while non native Outsiders have diffferent rules and different spells for Raise Dead.