PDA

View Full Version : What rules do you use in your adventures?

etrpgb
2018-05-05, 09:26 AM
The Core manuals have quite a bit of optional rules. I was wondering what other parties use.

I am playing in two games, one as player one as master.

In the player one we are using the "minimum subset," everything that is optional is not permitted. So basically: core-only, no feats, no multiclass, no alternate or new rules from the DMG.

In the game I am Master everyone is more experienced so we went for a "all-in" approach. So Feats and Multiclass from the PHB are allowed.

Moreover:
. Most Races are allowed, limitations did not come from mechanics reasons, just from the setting;
. All Classes are allowed.
. All the optional Action Options (DMG 271) are allowed; it is possible to Hit Cover (DMG 272); combatants may Cleave through Creatures (DMG 272).
. Characters can use up to one level of oversized weapons (DMG 278).
. Classes' Score Increases are considered as Feats you can take multiple times. It is a home brew rule pretty much relevant only for Druids (as the increase applies also when in Wildshape as Feats do).
. We did not have the chance to use this rule, but if a character is riding an intelligent creature (so the rider cannot control the mount) when they throw the initiative they can decide to both use the lower one.

We considered the Speed Factor rule (DMG 270), but at the end it was just bogging down the game without adding much. I like the Healing related rules in DMG 266, but at the end they probably just make magic healing more important and not really increase the fun.

So, what rules do you use? Do you use some homebrew?

Trask
2018-05-05, 12:28 PM
I use a little subsystem ive developed to make 5e more compatible with traditional dungeon crawling.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?550817-5e-Megadungeon-Rules-Hack

I also use my own houserules for death and dying that excise death saves and replace the whole process with a table. I also give creatures 1 size category larger than their opponent advantage on strength checks to grapple or shove and give them automatical restraint if they grapple if 2 sizes above.

Im also toying with removing short rests but i havent actually played with that yet