PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Slingwort (CR 1/8 Monster)

Kaskus
2018-05-05, 10:40 AM
I had an idea (maybe more of a philosophy?) that each monster type / CR combination should have at least 5 options from which to choose. As some who have read my previous work might have noticed, I have a fondness for plant based options so I began with them. The lack of coverage exists most at CR < 1 & CR > 11. So with that, allow me to present a new 1/8 CR monster...

<Monster>

Slingwort CR 1/8
N Diminutive Plant
Initiative +3, Senses blindsight 20 ft.; Perception +6 (Blind)

DEFENSE
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Size)
hp 2 (1d8-2)
Fort -2, Ref +3, Will +0

OFFENSE
Speed 0 (Immobile)
Ranged Launch Seed +7 (1d3 + pop)
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

STATISTICS
Str 1, Dex 16, Con 6, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Base Atk +0; CMB -1; CMD 4
Feats Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Perception +6
Racial Modifiers Perception +2

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Familiar:
The master of a slingwort familiar gains a +3 bonus to hearing and touch based Perception checks. A potted slingwort familiar may be carried in one hand.
Pop (Ex):
The dehiscence of slingwort pods is very noisy. When a slingwort uses its launch seed attack, it is accompanied by a loud popping sound which can be easily heard by nearby creatures. Creatures living near slingwort patches quickly learn to recognize this sound as an indication of the presence of other creatures. Scavengers are especially fond of lairing nearby for a free meal now and again.

</ Monster>

I did a couple things with this monster that I feel are underrepresented in plant monsters. Namely blindness and immobility. I think it makes them a little more "planty." The lack of mobility makes them good terrain complications and the pop ability makes them good alarms as well.

I have not yet been able to discern the difference between CR 1/8 & CR 1/6 so I will probably do a couple more 1/8s and then skip to 1/4. I think CR<1 monsters are underrepresented in general so I hope this is useful to someone besides me. Please PEACH!

aimlessPolymath
2018-05-05, 01:48 PM
Maybe...

"A potted slingwort familiar may be carried in one hand."

And for CR, it's basically a toss-up. I might call this CR 1/6, because they can actually pump out quite a bit of damage in groups. They feel less like creatures, and more like traps- they pump out some damage, but fighting them is basically a question of kill rate (or "trap disarming").

Kaskus
2018-05-05, 07:30 PM
The text about carrying them is a great idea. Thanks!

One thing I have been thinking about while designing this has been about what the difference between a "monster" and a "hazard" is. The Dweomer Cap is an existing CR 1/8 plant creature which has no attacks, so attacking isn't a hardline qualification. Then there is the Blood Bush, which is also immobile so movement rate doesn't do it either. Russet mold serves as an example of a plant hazard. It has no definite shape or size but rather can be various shapes and diameters. It is not killed as a unit but rather by area/diameter. It is also non selective in that when a living creature gets close enough, it releases spores. The spores do not specifically target anyone though and it does not matter what kind of creature other than a living one. A slingwort might still be able to discern a creature as a non threat and thus not attack it. It might also be more predisposed to a particular target versus another. It also has a defined "body" which lives or dies as a unit. It's more than a trigger and effect (though it can be that). Does that qualify it as a creature?

I would really like to hear any comments or thoughts anyone has about this as its something by which I am very intrigued. What makes something a creature? I of course would also love some more feedback on the slingwort specifically.

aimlessPolymath
2018-05-05, 08:21 PM
A slingwort might still be able to discern a creature as a non threat and thus not attack it. It might also be more predisposed to a particular target versus another.
With an Int of --?

One thing I have been thinking about while designing this has been about what the difference between a "monster" and a "hazard" is. The Dweomer Cap is an existing CR 1/8 plant creature which has no attacks, so attacking isn't a hardline qualification. Then there is the Blood Bush, which is also immobile so movement rate doesn't do it either. Russet mold serves as an example of a plant hazard. It has no definite shape or size but rather can be various shapes and diameters. It is not killed as a unit but rather by area/diameter. It is also non selective in that when a living creature gets close enough, it releases spores. The spores do not specifically target anyone though and it does not matter what kind of creature other than a living one. A slingwort might still be able to discern a creature as a non threat and thus not attack it. It might also be more predisposed to a particular target versus another. It also has a defined "body" which lives or dies as a unit. It's more than a trigger and effect (though it can be that). Does that qualify it as a creature?

It's absolutely a creature, by the rules. It has a statblock and everything!

But let me present you with Slingwort, the trap!

CR 1/6, biological, proximity trigger (Perception +6, 20 ft radius) automatic reset (1 round), Atk +7 ranged (1d3 + pop); Search N/A(DC 15 Knowledge(nature)), Disable Device N/A (Any damage dealt destroys the trap). Market Price: --

Kaskus
2018-05-05, 08:58 PM
With an Int of --?
Rats have Int -- but I wouldn't say they are incapable of decisions. They might also choose whether to attack or not and may be more inclined towards particular targets. I think they are more instinct driven than intelligent but they can still process information. They are even trainable!

It's absolutely a creature, by the rules. It has a statblock and everything!

I smiled at reading this. Your (hopefully) playful sarcasm is appreciated.

But let me present you with Slingwort, the trap!

CR 1/6, biological, proximity trigger (Perception +6, 20 ft radius) automatic reset (1 round), Atk +7 ranged (1d3 + pop); Search N/A(DC 15 Knowledge(nature)), Disable Device N/A (Any damage dealt destroys the trap). Market Price: --

I may enjoy living traps / items even more than creatures but...

1. Imagine if you could get slingworts to recognize you (by voice? Scent? A specific song whistled every time you come near?). Or perhaps they have learned that creatures of a certain size are pointless to attack. You might even be able to reach them to target a specific stimulus and then use that to mark a target. These are things I think could be accomplished with a creature of vermin level intelligence but don't fit as well with a trap.

2. My second objection is simply that if it were a trap rather than a creature, it wouldn't help with the original goal of filling in creature options 😝

aimlessPolymath
2018-05-05, 09:12 PM
Rats have Int -- but I wouldn't say they are incapable of decisions. They might also choose whether to attack or not and may be more inclined towards particular targets. I think they are more instinct driven than intelligent but they can still process information. They are even trainable!

Rats have Int 2; if you want them to be of animal intelligence, you want Int 1 or 2.

I may enjoy living traps / items even more than creatures but...

1. Imagine if you could get slingworts to recognize you (by voice? Scent? A specific song whistled every time you come near?). Or perhaps they have learned that creatures of a certain size are pointless to attack. You might even be able to reach them to target a specific stimulus and then use that to mark a target. These are things I think could be accomplished with a creature of vermin level intelligence but don't fit as well with a trap.

2. My second objection is simply that if it were a trap rather than a creature, it wouldn't help with the original goal of filling in creature options 😝
1: True enough. OTOH, it's perfectly possible to have a trap with a bypass mechanism.

2: Fair. Although, given your examples for creaturehood, I suspect "can't be Disable Device-ed" is the only real criterion for monsterhood.

On CR-ing: I just looked up the Shrieker for comparison (as the other trap-monster I know of). It has CR 1. Someone probably screwed up.

Kaskus
2018-05-05, 09:29 PM
Hmm. I somehow had it in my head that rats were vermin and had n/a int. I wonder how I messed that up.

I think I am convinced it should have an int score. Changed to 1

Goaty14
2018-05-06, 01:13 PM
Give this the pathfinder tag, plz.

What's the DC to hear the popping sound (if any)?

Kaskus
2018-05-06, 05:51 PM
How do I add a tag? I meant to put that in when I started the thread but forgot and don't know how to do so after the fact.

For hearing the pop, I think it's best left to GM discretion. It's meant to be an obvious noise but distance and environment are likely to be important factors as would other existing sounds.

EDIT: Figured it out. I had to load the non mobile version of the editor. Pathfinder tag added.