PDA

View Full Version : dragon born lore what are all the known draconic heritage's?

Amdy_vill
2018-05-05, 01:54 PM
so we known the five core colors for both metallic and chromatic dragons have dragon born heritage's but in lore what other types of dragons have heritage's

jmberry
2018-05-05, 04:13 PM
so we known the five core colors for both metallic and chromatic dragons have dragon born heritage's but in lore what other types of dragons have heritage's

I don't think there are any. I don't recall any true dragons other than the traditional ten and the shadow dragons showing up in 4E, and there weren't any dragonborn keyed to shadow dragons as far as I know. As far as I can tell, dragonborn are keyed to the five metallic and five chromatics, and no other variety of dragon.

Aett_Thorn
2018-05-05, 04:19 PM
I don’t know why we couldn’t have Gem dragons and therefore Gem Dragonborn. Amethyst, sapphire, topaz, crystal, and emerald.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-05, 06:41 PM
I don’t know why we couldn’t have Gem dragons and therefore Gem Dragonborn. Amethyst, sapphire, topaz, crystal, and emerald.

Gem dragons has been linked with psionics, perhaps we'll get them in whatever books gives us final Mystic (or even better, proper psionics)

Unoriginal
2018-05-05, 06:50 PM

There is no lore in 5e suggesting there is other types of dragons than metallic and chromatic, for now.

So we won't be able to answer your question until more types are published.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-05, 07:23 PM
There is no lore in 5e suggesting there is other types of dragons than metallic and chromatic, for now.

So we won't be able to answer your question until more types are published.

thank you i was really hoping that 3.5 and 4 had given an answer but it seems that outside of the ten we have no evidence of others.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-05-05, 08:12 PM
There was the UA with Revenant Dragonborn. They got resistance to Necrotic damage, and a Necrotic breath weapon.

Not sure if that counts as a "heritage" but it's an interesting variant.

thoroughlyS
2018-05-05, 08:57 PM
thank you i was really hoping that 3.5 and 4 had given an answer but it seems that outside of the ten we have no evidence of others.
With v3.5 it's a little complicated. In that edition, Dragonborn were not a true breeding race; they weren't born, they were made. A member of a different race could perform a ritual in which they pledged themselves to Bahamut, and were transformed into a new race. They weren't associated with a specific type of true dragon like they are in 5E.

That being said, there is a table in Races of the Dragon p.103 which lists different kinds of true dragons. It includes things like the Gem Dragons, the Lungs from Oriental Adventures, Battle Dragons, Oceanus Dragons, and Rust Dragons. Curiously, it doesn't mention the "extra" chromatic and metallic types.

A more complete list can be found on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#True_dragons).