PDA

View Full Version : Paladin warlock gfblade

Whit
2018-05-06, 02:15 AM
Is green flame blade cantrip useless when the Pali gets 2 attack’s

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-06, 02:24 AM
The majority of the time you'd better off making two attacks. That said, Booming Blade is nice utility if you plan to get Warcaster.

Sicarius Victis
2018-05-06, 12:50 PM
Once you have Extra Attack, GFB isn't useless, but its use is situational. GFB can do more damage than Extra Attack, but the damage is split up between two targets, rather than being able to focus on one the way Extra Attack can.

Asmotherion
2018-05-06, 12:59 PM
-GFB/BB damage dice scale by level, wile extra attack doesn't, unless you're a fighter.

-d8 damage is great in addition to weapon damage. It's basically a mini-smite at-will.

-Both cantrips have great control options, with BB being slightly more easily trigered in generic situations.

Overall I find it's not superior or inferior, just a combat style choice. All my gish builds focus on scag cantrips and almost never have/use extra attack, and I never got to regreat that choice.

sithlordnergal
2018-05-06, 01:17 PM
Is green flame blade cantrip useless when the Pali gets 2 attack’s

I am happy to report that it does not become useless. As others have said, it becomes situational, but you'll love it when you have it. Particularly when you are surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Unavoidable d8+cha bonus is pretty good chip damage. Also, if you have Warcaster then GFB is a far stronger Attack of Opportunity then a normal attack

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-06, 02:05 PM
-GFB/BB damage dice scale by level, wile extra attack doesn't, unless you're a fighter.
Paladin Extra Attack does scale a bit, they get improved Smite at 11th level, which adds 2d8 for two attacks.

I am happy to report that it does not become useless. As others have said, it becomes situational, but you'll love it when you have it. Particularly when you are surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Unavoidable d8+cha bonus is pretty good chip damage. Also, if you have Warcaster then GFB is a far stronger Attack of Opportunity then a normal attack
Greenflame Blade can't but used as an AoO, as it's not a single target spell. Booming Blade works fine and also discourages the enemy from continuing to move away.

Sception
2018-05-06, 03:30 PM
GFB's initial attack targets a single creature, so an argument can be made to allow it as an opp attack with warcaster.

In general, though, Booming Blade is better in that role. For a paladin/warlock intending to take at least 5 levels of paladin, I generally would encourage booming blade over GFB for this reason, at least if you intend to take warcaster. Which you probably should, especially if your warlock patron is the hexblade and you're either dual wielding or fighting with a shield. That way you can still cast the Shield spell which the hexblade patron grants. If you fight with a two handed weapon, or if you have a different patron, then warcaster still might be worth picking up at some point in that case, but it's less of a priority.