PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Warlock clarifications

Blondie Jo
2018-05-06, 09:43 AM
One of my player want to play a warlock but i think I need a lot of help on this one:

1. in the book (Complete Arcane) it is said that “A warlock need not to apply a blast shape invocation to his eldritch blast”, does that means that I can choose if I’m going to use normal eldritch blast (meaning 90 feet) one round and the next I can make it melee with Hideous blow, or when I choose Hideous blow as my blast shape invocation every of my blast is melee until I pick to change it later into Eldritch chain?

2. How often can I change my eldritch blast modification? If at lv 1st I pick Frightful blast when can I add to that Hideous blow and/or when can I change that into Hellrime blast? Is that “At any level a warlock learns a new invocation, he can also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation of the same or lower grade” ?

3. Also later “Eldritch blast is an not an invocation, but some invocations provide a warlock with the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add a new eldritch attack” I assume that counts Eldritch essence invocations and Blast shape invocations as well, but if that is the case I don’t understand the table at page 8 of the book: I get Eldritch blast at lv 1st and 1 (least) invocation, does that means that I either modify my blast or pick a spell-like invocation?

4. And what does it mean the “New invocation (least or lesser)” note for lv 6th? Wasn’t I already getting more invocation as it seems by the column “Invocations Known”?

GrayDeath
2018-05-06, 09:53 AM
One of my player want to play a warlock but i think I need a lot of help on this one:

1. in the book (Complete Arcane) it is said that “A warlock need not to apply a blast shape invocation to his eldritch blast”, does that means that I can choose if I’m going to use normal eldritch blast (meaning 90 feet) one round and the next I can make it melee with Hideous blow, or when I choose Hideous blow as my blast shape invocation every of my blast is melee until I pick to change it later into Eldritch chain?

2. How often can I change my eldritch blast modification? If at lv 1st I pick Frightful blast when can I add to that Hideous blow and/or when can I change that into Hellrime blast? Is that “At any level a warlock learns a new invocation, he can also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation of the same or lower grade” ?

3. Also later “Eldritch blast is an not an invocation, but some invocations provide a warlock with the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add a new eldritch attack” I assume that counts Eldritch essence invocations and Blast shape invocations as well, but if that is the case I don’t understand the table at page 8 of the book: I get Eldritch blast at lv 1st and 1 (least) invocation, does that means that I either modify my blast or pick a spell-like invocation?

4. And what does it mean the “New invocation (least or lesser)” note for lv 6th? Wasn’t I already getting more invocation as it seems by the column “Invocations Known”?

Simple.

1.: Yes. It means evewry single time a Warlock uses an Eldritch Blast, he can decide which of the BLast Shapes, if any, he has taken to apply to it.

2.: There is a table where it tells you at wchich Levels a Warlock learns new Invocations. At any of those he MAY choose a new BLastshape as well, as long as it is within his allowed Power Level (Least, Lesser, Greater or Dark Invocations respectively, he can always simply choose lower ones but only gets access to the higher ones when the table tells you).

3.: Entirely correct.
Eldritch Blast in and on itself is not an Invocation, but its SHapes/Modifications are.

4.: Yes. BUT: Least or Lesser tells you that you may also choose Lesser Invocations at Level 6, unlike say at Level 1. THe Table tells you when you get a new one, the text just makes sure you know the maximum LEVEL of the Invocations you can choose.

I hope this helps. :)

Necroticplague
2018-05-06, 02:14 PM

You change it with each blast. Using a blast shape is optional.

2. How often can I change my eldritch blast modification? If at lv 1st I pick Frightful blast when can I add to that Hideous blow and/or when can I change that into Hellrime blast? Is that “At any level a warlock learns a new invocation, he can also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation of the same or lower grade” ? Again, each blast is seperate.

3. Also later “Eldritch blast is an not an invocation, but some invocations provide a warlock with the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add a new eldritch attack” I assume that counts Eldritch essence invocations and Blast shape invocations as well, but if that is the case I don’t understand the table at page 8 of the book: I get Eldritch blast at lv 1st and 1 (least) invocation, does that means that I either modify my blast or pick a spell-like invocation? Blast Shapes and Blast Essences are types of invocations. So, you're correct, at first level, you could take a blast shape, blast essence, or a normal invocation, but not both, for the same reason a sauceror can't have all first level spells.

That's indicating when you get access to the next grade of Invocations. Before that, you only had access to least invocations. At that level, you can now start accessing lesser invocations as well.

Goaty14
2018-05-06, 02:24 PM
a sauceror

Muahahaha! I will drown you with an endless amount of salsa... Without chips! >:D

KillianHawkeye
2018-05-07, 12:20 AM
The errata clarifies that Eldritch Blast actually IS an invocation, although you automatically get it for free and so it doesn't count against the number of invocations known.

Also, the basic range of an Eldritch Blast is 60 feet, not 90 feet.

Mordaedil
2018-05-07, 07:30 AM
I do recommend playing a Warlock in NWN2 for a good idea on how the warlock feels like to play.