PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin? Marshal? War Chanter!

cartejos
2018-05-06, 11:40 AM
War Chanter's capstone ability seems extremely useful, turning everyone in 60 ft into a capable combatant.
The goal of this build is to get 16 BAB and War Chanter 10 with multiple mass buffing abilities.

Paladin3/Marshal2 can qualify for the requirements of War Chanter, as long as you're using a non-lawful paladin variant.

War Chanter 10 gives full BAB, and the Almighty Inspire Legion for setting other allies to the highest BAB in group, and also provides a +2 competence bonus to their damage.

Any suggestions for Buffs/Feats/etc? Other than Draconic Aura feats and a dip in Warrior Skald for the other Bardic Music abilities, I'm unsure what to do with this build

Demidos
2018-05-06, 12:00 PM
I've played a similar build to this (a variant on the A-game paladin). I assume you are using the paladin variant to get smite to song or using the mieli order of the harmonious knights to get the singing -- I would recommend considering dropping the second level of marshal, as it doesn't really give you much, and instead take something like crusader, which allows you to take song of the white raven - This boosts your inspiration level, allows you to INSPIRE AS A SWIFT, and grants you amazing maneuvers like white raven tactics. You can also look into a handbook for inspiring courage (get Dragonfire inspiration, words of creation, etc). Make sure you tailor the power level to your table so you don't get a book thrown at you.

You might also consider taking extra smite or something similar since you will find that your bardic music is a bit limited in terms of uses. One interesting trick I found was to use the Killoren (a fey in Races of the Wild) racial smite ability, which you can trigger 1/hour, to get multiple bonus smites - alternately, you can get extra smite as a bonus feat as a spell-less paladin, if you take a level in that, but I don't think that's really worth slowing down your build to take, so it would have to be after finishing warchanter, which is a lot of levels to play without it.

Edit: You can also look into a couple effects that extend your singing without conscious input -- I think Harmonizing (put it on an echo blade), Lingering song, and similar effects.

Anthrowhale
2018-05-06, 05:18 PM
If I understand correctly, then if you make the Tarrasque into an ally, everyone within 60' gets a BAB of 48. That's impressive fodder for power attack and provides AC:No for an Improved Combat Expertise + Allied Defense build.

gorfnab
2018-05-06, 07:40 PM
Here's a build I came up with some time ago.
Marshal 2/ Barbarian (Spirit Totem: Lion ACF -CC, Wolf Totem ACF - UA, Whirling Frenzy ACF - UA, City Brawler - Drag#349, Skilled City Dweller (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) {Ride for Tumble} 2/ Paladin of Freedom 3/ Warrior Skald 3/ Warchanter 10