PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need New Character: Old One is Kaput

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-05-06, 12:40 PM
Alright gentlemen. My character of half a year campaiging has died. He followed the orders of his god, his superior, and his code and charged headlong into an entire army to buy time for the party, and even managed to kill the enemy leader with his dying breath. For this he has been rewarded with being enshrined in his faction’s records as a good son, and his god granted him a seat at his side in Valhalla.

It was a Good Death.

But the party is screwed since their Warlock/Paladin is gone, so the reinforcements sent must be capable. An Assassin, a Champion, and a Bard of Whispers need someone to help them out just before the real Bad Dudes[tm] show up to kill them. What’s a powerful-but-fun build I can do? The DM has promised a boon of some sort for the good death, but I don’t know what it is. If it matters, we're something of a "muscle" team, doing wetwork for our family and our customers.

tl;dr Recommend me a powerful class or build combo. No Warlocks/Paladins. The wound is still fresh. :smallfrown:

Fayd
2018-05-06, 12:47 PM
I can't claim to know how powerful these ideas are, but...

Have you ever tried a Mystic from the UA? You can get pretty durable with certain choices (Immortal discipline is well named), so it could be useful.

I've always wanted to try either a Tempest Cleric or a Storm Soul Sorcerer (or maybe a MC of both). It's not subtle, but it gets the job done.

You could also build a Druid; it's a lot of versatility, and "Attacked by wild animal" is a useful cover for any jobs that require... discretion.

tatsuyashiba
2018-05-06, 12:56 PM
Sounds like your party could use some help on the divine magic side. I think a Druid would be a great fit. Terrain manipulation spells, healing, and some heavy hitting single target control (eg Heat Metal). Druid can keep up with the melee, sneak, or social tactics of your party depending how you build.

If you want to tank/skirmish, go Circle of the Moon. Otherwise, get creative with the other subclass options.

If you want to multiclass with Circle of the Moon - Monk would let you use Wis+Dex in wild shape, while starting Barbarian would give you proficiency Con Saves and resistance while raging. Personally I want to make a Native American inspired Human Variant Monk 1/Moon Druid X that is very heavily RP themed and dumps physical stats because most time will be spent in wild shape (where your mental stats carry over but you gain physical stats of beast).

PS: Congrats on the heroic death! Best way to go!

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-05-06, 01:42 PM
I really don't care for the Mystic. It's combination of powers and somewhat starkly OP mechanics turned my group off of using them.

Everyone I talk to seems to think Druid or Cleric would be a good fit, so I'm down. How tanky/blasty are they?

8wGremlin
2018-05-06, 02:28 PM
You won't feel as tanky/blasty as you did with your old character, that combination is pretty much the best at that.
So questions that may help us.

What do the others fo in combat?
What spells does the Bard use?
What level are you?
What do you want to do in combat?
What magic items do you have access too

djreynolds
2018-05-06, 02:42 PM
Yes, a druid. Perhaps you were reincarnated into a wolf or a bear roaming around eating food and sleeping, but your soul remained intact because you deity said you have unfinished business.

Now you are Odin's raven, your class is druid, and your wildshape is human. Don't think. Go with it. Don't worry no one knows how a rogue's evasion works... it just does.

CTurbo
2018-05-06, 02:44 PM
What level? Point buy or rolled stats? You were just a Pally?

I would be a Tempest Cleric of the same God you had recently. Makes sense thematically that your God would send down another hero.

Tempest Clerics are amazing and can be just as Tanky as a Paladin. They're not as good in melee(although not bad), but they are maximum blasty when needed to be.

Nifft
2018-05-06, 04:17 PM
Yeah I'm going to echo the Divine Magic suggestions.

• Nature Cleric is a nice combo of hitting people with flexible bonus damage; since Fire and Cold are two common vulnerabilities, the flexible damage type is more powerful than it initially appears. Also, you can tank like a champ. Light, Tempest, and Forge are also great as front-line tanks.

• Moon Druid makes you a strong front-liner, plus you get solid spellcasting. You can tank, and you bring a lot of utility.

Alternately...

• Abjuration Wizard can be a front-line tank, plus you get great spellcasting, including spells like Booming Blade which make you useful in melee. Be a Dwarf for medium armor proficiency, or a Deep Gnome for cheese.

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-05-06, 04:45 PM
What do the others fo in combat?
What spells does the Bard use?
What level are you?
What do you want to do in combat?
What magic items do you have access too

The Rogue Assassin sneaks around and is never seen. She hits extremely hard and has dice that are MAGICAL considering how often they crit. The Bard is...bad at his job. He focuses largely on debuffing despite a lowish Save DC, and multiclassed to Warlock when he made a bad bargain with a devil. The Fighter basically just charges in and keeps swinging until the gibblets stop moving.

We are level 9, although there's some narrative/mechanical shenanigans which mean that some characters can gain a few perks of higher levels (like the Bard being only level 9, but with the class features of a 2 level Warlock dip nailed on). It's been loads of fun, if nonstandard. My ideal character would either fill in a niche that we lack (healing, divine magic, AOE damage, control, etc) or back up one of the others to further the "sneaky thuggish b!@^rds" gameplay we've been digging thus far. I do tend to like being tough, but that's mutable for whatever neat builds people here come up with.

The DM uses a chart of some sort to award items at character creation (rolled stats, we ARE grognards), and allows us to purchase further items via the "Sane Magical Item Prices" chart someone helpfully created here on this site a while back. I can expect 1 Rare, 2-3 Uncommons, another 2-3 Commons, and a half dozen or so consummables of uncommon and common variety.

You were just a Pally?

Warlock of the Wild Hunt (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6uzb60/the_compendium_of_forgotten_secrets_ultimate/), actually. I had Invocations that gave me Heavy Armor, a Pact Bow that used Strength, and the ability to empower my weapon with the effects of an Eldritch Blast in addition to Devils Sight and Thirsting Blade. Having a cold themed hunting patron was cool:smallcool: as it gave me Cone of Cold and Hunter's Mark as spells (with Hunters Mark gaining extra damage from my icy pact weapon). Calling him a Warlock/Paladin was a better way to describe him that just Warlock.

CTurbo
2018-05-06, 06:19 PM
The Rogue Assassin sneaks around and is never seen. She hits extremely hard and has dice that are MAGICAL considering how often they crit. The Bard is...bad at his job. He focuses largely on debuffing despite a lowish Save DC, and multiclassed to Warlock when he made a bad bargain with a devil. The Fighter basically just charges in and keeps swinging until the gibblets stop moving.

We are level 9, although there's some narrative/mechanical shenanigans which mean that some characters can gain a few perks of higher levels (like the Bard being only level 9, but with the class features of a 2 level Warlock dip nailed on). It's been loads of fun, if nonstandard. My ideal character would either fill in a niche that we lack (healing, divine magic, AOE damage, control, etc) or back up one of the others to further the "sneaky thuggish b!@^rds" gameplay we've been digging thus far. I do tend to like being tough, but that's mutable for whatever neat builds people here come up with.

The DM uses a chart of some sort to award items at character creation (rolled stats, we ARE grognards), and allows us to purchase further items via the "Sane Magical Item Prices" chart someone helpfully created here on this site a while back. I can expect 1 Rare, 2-3 Uncommons, another 2-3 Commons, and a half dozen or so consummables of uncommon and common variety.

Warlock of the Wild Hunt (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6uzb60/the_compendium_of_forgotten_secrets_ultimate/), actually. I had Invocations that gave me Heavy Armor, a Pact Bow that used Strength, and the ability to empower my weapon with the effects of an Eldritch Blast in addition to Devils Sight and Thirsting Blade. Having a cold themed hunting patron was cool:smallcool: as it gave me Cone of Cold and Hunter's Mark as spells (with Hunters Mark gaining extra damage from my icy pact weapon). Calling him a Warlock/Paladin was a better way to describe him that just Warlock.

I'd seriously go Tempest Cleric all the way. You could easily start with Max Wisdom score and either Warcaster or Res(Con). You could go Str and use Plate or go Dex and use Half Plate. Tempest gets all weapons and armor.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-06, 06:36 PM
But the party is screwed since their Warlock/Paladin is gone, so the reinforcements sent must be capable. An Assassin, a Champion, and a Bard of Whispers need someone to help them out just before the real Bad Dudes[tm] show up to kill them. What’s a powerful-but-fun build I can do? The DM has promised a boon of some sort for the good death, but I don’t know what it is. If it matters, we're something of a "muscle" team, doing wetwork for our family and our customers.

tl;dr Recommend me a powerful class or build combo. No Warlocks/Paladins. The wound is still fresh. :smallfrown:

That subclass is fun looking. It sounds like Hombrew is allowed.

Monk (Cobalt Soul) Wood Elf
11,18*,14,14,18*,6 Rolled Stats, I just rolled a decent Set here
Sailor Background(or whatever you choose)
ASI 1 +2 Dex brings it to 20.
ASI 2 Sentinel (with the ability to spend a Ki to take another reaction this becomes ungodly amounts of control)
Magic items if possible: bracers of defense, ring of free action, periapt of wound closure.

This class is basically made to be in the thick of it holding people in place and then running away.

Tikkun
2018-05-06, 07:44 PM
Here are 2 suggestions for you to consider (which are in my back-ups folder) :

If you want a front liner with some magical abilities try

(1) a Fighter X/War Cleric X--fighter first for a level or 3 which nets you con proficiency, a fighting style, second wind and action surge, perhaps seguing into battle master for some martial shenanigans; War cleric for some extra attacks and all the cleric goodies (read bless and guidance). Both give you heavy armor and martial weapons.

(2) a Long Death monk (take it to level 14 eventually for all those save proficiencies)/Gloom Stalker Ranger 4 or 5 depending on spells--your God does not want you to die so level 3 Temp HP when you kill something, level 6 free fear, level 11 you are very, very difficult to kill as long as you have ki plus the usual monk class goodies like deflect missile, run up walls or water, increased movement speed, etc. When paired with a Gloom Stalker--you add WIS mod to initiative (your DEX mod which happen to be your main stats), first turn 10 extra movement, first turn guaranteed 1d8 dam hit extra, hunters mark and longstrider( no concentration 10 extra movement for 1 hr spell). The Long Death fits in with your theme but this can work with Kensai monk and Swashbuckler rogue also.

8wGremlin
2018-05-06, 08:30 PM
Sounds good:

Take a look at the arcane cleric the whole build keys of Wis for attacks.

Your wearing Medium amour so 14 Dex is all you need.
I usually go for VHuman at level 1 but as you are level 9 you don't need to.

Cleric - Arcane domain.
Pick up Ray of Frost and Booming Blade (BB) or Green Flame Blade (GFB), these are now CLERIC spells.
at 8th level you get to add your wis modifier to your cleric cantrips!

you also get SPELL BREAKER at 6th level, which can be a god-send (<.<)

when you restore hit points to an ally with a spell of 1st level or higher, you can also end one spell of your choice on that creature. The level of the spell you end must be equal to or lower than the level of the spell slot you use to cast the healing spell.

Pick the feats:

Magic Initiate Druid (Goodberry, Shillelagh, +1 other )

Warcaster; helps maintain concentration, and allows Booming blade to be cast as opportunity attack!

Get the spell Spiritual Guardians and use it in every battle, even if you have to upcast it!
use the dodge action, or cast sanctuary and just walk around the battlefield burning up enemies.

check it out, you might like it.