PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead for Earth Genasi

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 07:03 AM
Where next?

This was an experiment that has worked well enough to keep.

Earth Genasi BM GWF Fighter, level 5, unique +1,+2 versus plants 🤪 long sword, mundane Great Sword, mundane Maul, Mariner’s Plate, Mace of Smiting, Gloves of missile Snaring. Besides a dagger he is set as a Fighter.

What is next after level 6?

Since he is AL there is next to no chance at making Tier 4 AL games locally.

Thought about MC possibilities but his current stats are:

ST 18
DE 10
CO 16
WI 14
CH 8

So, Druid is out because the metal armor issue. Cleric is a possibility. Barbarian requires giving up too much to have decent AC. No DE, CH, or IN MC options open.

Should I stay Fighter?

Should I go Cleric (and what kind?)

Brainstorm with me on this character, please?

PeteNutButter
2018-05-07, 07:23 AM
I'd probably stay with fighter to 11. Tier 3 mods at my local store are fairly common, so it's worth getting 3 attacks. If you don't see much tier 3 play, then leave fighter at 6.

Either way cleric levels do more for you than fighter. Pick your domain as you wish. Sadly you can't do anything other than phb, but there are solid options there.

War has a good spell list, including Divine Favor at 1st level for a 3-4d4 a round in damage, but against most targets, bless will give you a larger increase in DPR. Bless is an action though, while divine favor is a bonus action, and often a teammate can Bless. It's bonus action attacks aren't amazing with only a 14 wisdom (2 attacks), but the channel divinity option is great for GWM fighters.

Trickery grants Mirror Image, 3 levels in that is a great spell for not so tanky fighters. It also can give a good source of advantage with its channel divinity.

Life is always solid if you need more healing.

Both Light and Tempest give some reaction usage, but nothing too amazing. Light has Faerie Fire, which is great for you, but your spell DC isn't that great so I'd stick to self buffs. Riposte is the best use of your action anyways.

Max str at level 6, get a +x greatsword/maul ASAP. You can get a +1 for some downtime and a little gold if you get your faction mission done.

If you are bored with the character now, it wouldn't hurt terribly to take just 1 level in cleric, before going back to fighter until 6 or 11. Due to the limits of the concentration mechanic, it is my personal opinion that everyone in a party should have the ability to concentrate on some spell during a big fight (excepting barbarians of course). That way you could potentially have something like Haste, Bless, and Divine Favor all at once.

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 12:55 PM
Yes, the Fighter 6 for one of +2 ST to 20, +2 CO to 18 or +2 to wisdom 16 followed by Cleric is an interesting quandary.

There is one AL Tier 3 table locally that is looking for more players but that is 6 levels away currently.

Not bored just never thought of this as a core character until this week. I see Earth Genasi as Mountain Dwarf Lite in some ways. But then I admit a strong bias for Mountain Dwarf characters.

I guess I have about 6900 xp until I need to decide...

CTurbo
2018-05-07, 01:22 PM
Looks like Cleric is just about your only choice, but that's ok because Clerics have a lot to offer. If you're going to multi into Cleric, I hope there is a good rp reason for it though instead of doing it for mechanical purposes only. You'd definitely want to bump Wis up if you do. Spirit Guardians would be really really strong on you.

War is good for you since it adds the option of a limited bonus attack to use if you really need it, and a +10 to hit when you REALLY need it.
Nature is good for some added battlefield control plus it fit thematically with your race.
Life is great for obvious reasons. It may be a bit boring but the entire party would benefit.
Forge would be great for you. You can add a floating +1 to a weapon or Armor AND gain an extra +1 to AC
Tempest is my personal favorite. The ability to max thunder and lightning damage is just too awesome. You get some great control spells too.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-07, 01:42 PM
Yes, the Fighter 6 for one of +2 ST to 20, +2 CO to 18 or +2 to wisdom 16 followed by Cleric is an interesting quandary.

There is one AL Tier 3 table locally that is looking for more players but that is 6 levels away currently.

Not bored just never thought of this as a core character until this week. I see Earth Genasi as Mountain Dwarf Lite in some ways. But then I admit a strong bias for Mountain Dwarf characters.

I guess I have about 6900 xp until I need to decide...

Strength is the superior choice as you will spend the vast vast majority of your actions in combat attacking. Wisdom will be nice bonus, but your primary source of output for the character is strength. Don't let the versatility of the cleric spells lure you away from making proper fighter choices. By the time you get 3rd level spells, you will have an ASI on the way to boost wisdom.

ZorroGames
2018-05-08, 09:26 AM
Strength is the superior choice as you will spend the vast vast majority of your actions in combat attacking. Wisdom will be nice bonus, but your primary source of output for the character is strength. Don't let the versatility of the cleric spells lure you away from making proper fighter choices. By the time you get 3rd level spells, you will have an ASI on the way to boost wisdom.

Got it, gracias.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 07:14 AM
Final answer... “Maybe...”

If I dip (and it would be just a dip) it would be Cleric for a spell or two to concentrate on. Need to review my inherent E.G. abilities to see if there is a really good one that requires concentration.

Right now I do want to get to Fighter 11, though there do not seem to be any open Tier 4 games so Fighter 20 seems an unlikely goal.

Gracias for the feedback.