PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead for my Mountain Dwarf Monk

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 07:39 AM
Sitting T Tier2/Level 5, (yea, two attacks,) my L/N Astronomer Sage background OH Monk is contemplating his future.

ST 10
DE 16
CO 16
IN 8
WI 16
CH 10

“What to do? I have an offer to become a Cleric from an associated temple... My friend in the Thieve’s Guild can get me into his guild... I have always loved the Outdoors and I could go Ranger... my Sensei says I need to consider future carefully... meditation time.”

What answers does he get from meditating?

nickl_2000
2018-05-07, 07:53 AM
My opinion? I think a single level in Knowledge, Arcana, or Nature Cleric would be amazing. You would get Healing Word (always great), bless (everyone loves bless), some sweet utility cantrips, and some ranged magic.

Arcana is probably the best from an optimization standpoint, but think your PC may like being a nature cleric since he likes the outdoors.

Alternately you can stick with OH monk all the way through. Getting more KI really helps you out when stunlocking, and getting to level 7 for evasion would be great.

Crgaston
2018-05-07, 11:03 AM
+1 on the Cleric if you’re wanting to stay mostly Monk. It gives you a lot for a 1 level dip. Knowledge plays up your Sage Astronomer background, and Nature would give you access to Shillelagh which would give you a magic weapon if you don’t have one already. (Alternately, Thorn Whip would be awesome on a Monk.)

Rogue needs at least 2 or 3 to be worth it, and then you’re missing out on Monk goodies. If you’re going to keep going with Rogue it gets pretty good, though, since pretty much all the Monk 5 abilities synergies strongly with a Rogue build.

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 01:05 PM
Yeah, the Cleric for one level and a concentration spell is probably where I will go at 6th then back to Monk. More Cleric levels would depend on what domain I choose.

Though Ranger is almost totally concentration spells but delaying 1D8 for Monk attacks in trade for Longbow and a second level for FS/spells might be viable at the even farther delay in HTH damage attacks. And delaying Ki-empowered strikes, Wholeness of Body, and Evasion. Ouch!

Gracias for responses.

CTurbo
2018-05-07, 01:34 PM
I really like a Hunter Ranger dip for a Monk. 1 level gets you Natural Explorer which is awesome for any character and Favored Enemy(humanoids) which is extra awesome on a Monk with so many attacks. 2 levels gets you a Fighting Style(dueling or Archery) and some spells. Level 3 gets you Horde Breaker which is great for a Monk with your mobility. That's basically 5 attacks per round.

Tikkun
2018-05-07, 07:34 PM
How about being the Monk of Death and Life? A Long Death Dwarf Monk 14/Life Domain Cleric 6. Your studies into the intricacies of death have given you tremendous insight into it's corollary--life. You have a 14 ki points, get temp HP on a kill (the old death/life dichotomy), are very difficult to kill and have a free fear whenever you like. You get bless, guidance, spare the dying (get it?) plus a few healing spells. But your heals are more powerful. And at level 6, when you heal someone, you heal yourself. A true master of death and life.

djreynolds
2018-05-07, 08:42 PM
Monk gets lots of goodies from 5th on, but you must stay the course.

Any deviation might prolong say diamond soul.

But 1 level of say cleric or druid even can be snuck in there, or a level of rogue for expertise.

I say sprinkle in a dip here and there.

ZorroGames
2018-05-07, 09:37 PM
Monk gets lots of goodies from 5th on, but you must stay the course.

Any deviation might prolong say diamond soul.

But 1 level of say cleric or druid even can be snuck in there, or a level of rogue for expertise.

I say sprinkle in a dip here and there.

If there is a local AL Tier 4 game of any kind it is a well kept secret. 🧐

Never plan on 20th level/Perfect Self.

Empty Body (18th) seems crazy cost for invisible for 1 minute at 4 Ki points.

Timeless Body (15th) seems good but no one tracks food and water religiously so far.

So 3 levels of MC seems doable at a cost but not a huge one if (doubtful) you go 20levels in a game. In theory 4-5 but Quivering Palm... 😎

Ventruenox
2018-05-08, 12:25 AM
Here's a different question to ask: what would your character get more mileage out of? A powerful tier 4 ability, or flavorful diversity? Then ask the follow up question. How often are tier 4 games presented at your local AL?

And more importantly, the RP question. What would your character value? (Aside from a good ale, grognard.)

Malifice
2018-05-08, 12:47 AM
Fighter 3. Action surge and sup dice.

Stun your enemies, disarm them and knock them prone all at the same time.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 07:27 AM
How about being the Monk of Death and Life? A Long Death Dwarf Monk 14/Life Domain Cleric 6. Your studies into the intricacies of death have given you tremendous insight into it's corollary--life. You have a 14 ki points, get temp HP on a kill (the old death/life dichotomy), are very difficult to kill and have a free fear whenever you like. You get bless, guidance, spare the dying (get it?) plus a few healing spells. But your heals are more powerful. And at level 6, when you heal someone, you heal yourself. A true master of death and life.

My games are AL so I am not thinking that is option though interesting. Thanks.

Ventruenox
2018-05-10, 08:13 AM
Long Death Monk is from SCAG, so that build is PHB +1.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 08:26 AM
Long Death Monk is from SCAG, so that build is PHB +1.

Very good, off to pull SCAG off shelf.

Edit: though at this (5th) level it is moot for this character.

ZorroGames
2018-05-10, 02:21 PM
Checked out Long Death Monks (page 130)

See why it was suggested but it doesn’t fit this character well even if he was not already played in Tier 2 and could be rebuilt.

Did mentally bookmark it for possible future characters.

Thanks.

Citan
2018-05-10, 07:01 PM
Sitting T Tier2/Level 5, (yea, two attacks,) my L/N Astronomer Sage background OH Monk is contemplating his future.

ST 10
DE 16
CO 16
IN 8
WI 16
CH 10

“What to do? I have an offer to become a Cleric from an associated temple... My friend in the Thieve’s Guild can get me into his guild... I have always loved the Outdoors and I could go Ranger... my Sensei says I need to consider future carefully... meditation time.”

What answers does he get from meditating?
"I've already been for a long time on the Way of the Open Hand. Would explore other paths not stray me from my true self?"

Going straight Monk is often the best, simply because every level is a great level. :)
With that said, if you really need you're lacking in a department...

For 1-level dip, Nature Cleric is always my prime recommendation: either Thorns Whip (alternative way of control when out of Ki) or Shillelagh (less interesting for an Open Hand, but still a way to push WIS first without regrets), along with Sacred Flame (ranged attack which ignores cover) will nicely supplement your arsenal. Bless is like benefiting, twice per long rest, of an immediate +2<->+8 DEX on attack rolls. Second choice would be Tempest, because Fog Cloud can be useful in several ways. Then Death because of twinned cantrip which gets great in the long run. Finally Arcana, in case you want Booming Blade but want to spare a feat.
You just get so much from that single level dip that you cannot go wrong with it. Just note the consequences about high level features like Diamond Soul.

Second choice would probably be Rogue, mainly for expertise and slightly better damage on an attack.
Very close behind would be Druid, simply because while you don't get as good buff as Cleric it's still a prepared caster, with lots of utility (some could argue more than Cleric for that level ;)): buff, healing, AOE, utility, he has of everuthing.

If you're not afraid of waiting much much longer for that kind of features and are ready for 2-level dip...
- Cleric: Knowledge (skillmonkey), Light (f*** Darkness users) and War (hit when really needed) Channel Divinities are very good at every level. Others are much less synergizing.
- Druid: Moon could be a very decent choice if your DM allows everything from Monk to work as Wild Shape. Otherwise, Shepherd Druid is the obvious choice for the Spirit Aura which would help you much providing control without using ki. Also Wild Shape is great is you want, for example, prepare an ambush to stun a key target. ;)
- Rogue: Cunning Action. Not at all redundant with Monk's similar abilities, because that one does not cost ki! Great return on investment in the long run except of course if your party would manage to get short rests nearly after every encounter.
Only problem is that as an Open Hand Monk you will often want to keep the bonus action especially for Flurry of Blows, which Cunning Action does not help with. ^^

All three are great picks, each with different strengths. :)

If you are as adventurous (or as certain you won't ever get past char level 13-14, because if you go as far as 18, denying yourself Empty Body is just a very bad idea whatever way you look at it) as to go with a 3-level dip...
- Any aforementioned Cleric would do fine. If you are looking for something in particular, other Domains may become worthy, like Trickery (extra defense and sneakiness).
- Gloomstalker Ranger comes straight into the light, and strikes competitors hard: in addition to Fighting Style, Longstrider and Hunter's Mark, you get WIS mod to Initiative and extra speed and attack first turn of every fight. Hard to beat that for an Open Hand Monk. Hunter's Horde Breaker does have merit as an alternative.
- Shepherd Druid holds his own, but gets challenged by his cousin, Land Druid: Coast for mobility+defense, Desert for mage control are both great for Open Hand, and the spell recovery means you can at least cast 3 Hold Person / Heat Metal / Flaming Sphere per long rest.
- Swashbuckler is last in list but not in line: you get a probably minor boost is Initiative, but more importantly the same "free Disengage" as Mobile (or nearly).

Honestly though, I'd steer away from 3-level dips unless you are really looking for something special that can't be achieved otherwise. And even if you plan on a 2-level dip in the end, I'd delay the second as much as possible.

But hey, YMMV, to each his own taste. Have fun!

CTurbo
2018-05-10, 09:36 PM
Whoever said take a 3 level Ranger dip is a genius!!

3 levels of Ranger gets you-

Advantage on Initiative.
Advantage on attacks against enemies that haven't gone yet.
Ignore difficult terrain.
+2 damage for every single attack against one type of enemy.
Lots of Nature fluff like not being able to get lost, always on alert, move steathily at a normal pace, finding twice as much food, and knowing everything about whatever you are tracking.
+2 to ranged attack rolls OR +2 damage from a one handed weapon.
Beasts love you and you can basically talk to them
3 spells to choose from Absorb Elements, Alarm, Beast Bond, Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Ensnaring Strike, Fogcloud, Goodberry, Hail of Thorns, Hunter's Mark, Jump, Longstrider, or Speak With Animals.

Hunter's Mark and Favored Enemy are excellent on a Monk who has so many attacks. 4 attacks against a favored enemy with Hunter's Mark adds an extra 4d6+8 damage.

Then at level 3, you choose -

Hunter - which gives you a totally free extra attack against a different enemy within 5ft, OR an extra 1d8 damage every turn. Make the DM decide on the spot and tell you if you'll be facing your favorite enemy anytime soon and how many there will be lol

or

Gloom Stalker - which gives you a first turn only extra 10ft movement, and a free extra attack, AND it deals an extra 1d8 damage. + Bonus Darkvision distance and the Disguise Self spell.

Citan
2018-05-11, 03:04 AM
Whoever said take a 3 level Ranger dip is a genius!!

3 levels of Ranger gets you-

Advantage on Initiative.
Advantage on attacks against enemies that haven't gone yet.
Ignore difficult terrain.
+2 damage for every single attack against one type of enemy.

Err... Thanks? XD Or maybe it was a self-compliment? XD

Although honestly "a genius" would be very overrated in any case. 3-level dip is barely a dip still, you're delaying interesting features for a very, very long time, you squeeze Empty Body out, get Diamond Soul when you should get Quivering Palm and get the latter as a capstone.

It's not an easy choice by far. :)
Also, I was talking about PHB Ranger myself because I made no assumptions about UA being authorized. So no advantage on Initiative (which is not a big deal, Gloomstalker giving his own bonus to us) nor advantage against enemies that didn't take first turn (a bit sad but for a melee character it's less sensible than for a ranged one, you have to close in anyways).

ZorroGames
2018-05-11, 06:50 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback.