PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Need ideas for a Paladin/Ranger mix.

lylsyly
2018-05-07, 08:59 AM
Just what the titles say Gentlebeings. Starting a new campaign. Last time I played an Savage Bard 5 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 3 / Sublime Chord 1 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Sublime Chord 4.

This time I want to steer clear of all that casting. Still want some magic though. Concept is a Paladin/Ranger mix. Frontline Melee. Mainly a wilderness game. Race will be Gray Elf (RP reasons).

Sources allowed are any 1st Party.

Rest of group: Sorcerer, Dragonfire Adept, Cleric, and Barbarian (note no skill monkey...no one wants to play a Rogue this time around. Good thing we all know how to use summons well ;).

Definitely want Ranger 4/Paladin 5 for companion and mount. I have a handle on melee feats and skills to grab. Need ideas for Prcs and how to advance both casting levels. Definitely going to level 20.

Low to Mid Optimization.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

DMVerdandi
2018-05-07, 02:00 PM
Just what the titles say Gentlebeings. Starting a new campaign. Last time I played an Savage Bard 5 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 3 / Sublime Chord 1 / Mystic Theurge 5 / Sublime Chord 4.

This time I want to steer clear of all that casting. Still want some magic though. Concept is a Paladin/Ranger mix. Frontline Melee. Mainly a wilderness game. Race will be Gray Elf (RP reasons).

Sources allowed are any 1st Party.

Rest of group: Sorcerer, Dragonfire Adept, Cleric, and Barbarian (note no skill monkey...no one wants to play a Rogue this time around. Good thing we all know how to use summons well ;).

Definitely want Ranger 4/Paladin 5 for companion and mount. I have a handle on melee feats and skills to grab. Need ideas for Prcs and how to advance both casting levels. Definitely going to level 20.

Low to Mid Optimization.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Honestly, you'd probably be better served by playing an Archivist.
I say this because their Dark Knowledge Class feature is WAY better and way more flexible than favored creature, and is more applicable.
Secondly, they can add any spell from any divine class to their prayer books
They don't quite have the BAB, but that is easily remedied by slapping divine power on.

Companion and Mount are going to slow the game down, since it adds more turns that have to be taken. You could just as easily cast or persist summon nature's ally, and have it running all day.

Secondly, if having too much spell power is the problem, you can just use higher slots to cast meta magic with your paladin/ranger spells.
Don't worry about purchasing or scribing anything above level 4. Just have them for more slots of the same spells.

Archivist, even though it is more "booky", It doesn't mean you can't put on standard woodsy elf gear, and carry a bow. You just view the divine world how the wizard views the arcane world. You are still a person of knowledge, of many things. Including nature, local, and other various types of things that help you survive your environment.

Archivist 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/Archivist 14

As for the feats, throw a couple of flaws up there so you can get elf dilettante and extend spell and persistent spell at level 1. At level 6, Grab Divine meta magic [Persistent Spell].
All the rest of the feats are pretty much up to you. The important thing is getting the ingredients to persist, and elf dilettante so you can skill monkey a little.

Darrin
2018-05-07, 03:19 PM
Hmm. Well, the typical Supermount (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16939351&postcount=24) build uses Paladin/Beastmaster/Halfling Outrider with Devoted Tracker to crank up the mount's HD. Gray Elf doesn't work so well there, but it sounds like you're not aiming for very high optimization, so a Ranger 1/Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1/Wild Plains Outrider 3/Something 10 should still be pretty decent.

Actually, I'd probably consider adding Prestige Ranger instead, as you get full Animal Companion advancement instead of only half-druid. If Prestige Ranger isn't available, then I'd stick with Beastmaster's Animal Companion and choose one of the ACFs that trades away Animal Companion for Distracting Attack (PHBII) or Spiritual Connection (Complete Champion). Devoted Tracker allows you to stack your Ranger levels towards your mount/animal companion even though you traded it away.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-07, 03:53 PM
Here's a thought; human paladin 7/ divine crusader (animal domain) 1/ prestige ranger 1/ X

Where "X" is whatever you like that advances your paladin casting. I like Fist of Raziel, if you're into exalted characters.

Ramza00
2018-05-07, 04:12 PM
You want a companion and mount? As in two helpers that are permanent?

Nothing wrong with paladin and ranger, but just pointing other options out.

Wild Cohort is a single feat that gives you a better animal companion than the ranger and worse animal companion as a druid.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

Note there are many other cohort options for a mount like a paladin. Like 20 different ways, some of them very like a paladin and some of them very different.

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=25.0

-----

A) Now full / close to full BAB

B) 6+ skill points

C) Good Spellcasting

Choose, A+B, A+C, or B+C but you can't really do all 3. Even Full BAB and 6+ Skillpoints is hard to do.

But Good Spellcasting and high amount of skillpoints is kind of easy. Note when I say Good Spellcasting I do not neccessary mean full wizard / cleric / psion spellcasting but at least half spellcasting progression and preferably 2/3rds spellcasting.

And if you want a pure paladin / ranger build that is okay.

lylsyly
2018-05-07, 04:18 PM
I already plan on Elf Dilettante.

I didn't consider Prestige Ranger, and it's fair game. I'll have to look into it.

I do get the whole abc thing.

Some food for thought in all four replies.

Thank you for your Wisdom.