PDA

View Full Version : Making a Bomb (or similar device) throwing dwarf

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-07, 10:59 AM
Okay so I'm sick of playing the same characters over and over again so I really wanna make a dwarf who chucks bombs at people. I would like to make this character AL legal because I'm playing with a new group and that's their rules. I however cannot think of any offical bomb like weapon besides alchemists fire and I feel that alchemists fire would be very ineffective. If anyone has ideas I'd really appreciate it.

If alchemist fire is viable I will totally use it though.

Deox
2018-05-07, 11:05 AM
AFB - can one use alchemist fire with sneak attack? Doubtful.

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-07, 11:06 AM

I don't think so. Sadly.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-07, 11:12 AM

It's not a ranged or finesse weapon, so no.

Alchemist's fire is overpriced for its effect, acid is a bit better. Oil is cheap, but you'll need a separate way to set the enemy on fire.

And those are your only AL legal options. Artificer is just UA.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-07, 11:14 AM
May have to wait until there is an official Artificer (Alchemist) for AL play.........
I feel your pain.

Next best is just gonna be a Rogue with Magic Initiate and a refluffed Firebolt.

Or a refluffed Evoker.

Lord8Ball
2018-05-07, 11:15 AM
I think that there is an artificer UA that has a subclass of alchemist whose entire deal is throwing alchemical explosives at his/her foes.
Edit: Ninga'd
I think that the best thing to do would be buying up lots of vials of oil and shooting it with a sling and then ignite it using a small ranged fire spell. If your dm allows you can make a spark to set it on fire with prestitigitation I don't think it is unreasonable since you can light a candle with it anyways.

Dankus Memakus

Alchemist's fire is overpriced for its effect, acid is a bit better. Oil is cheap, but you'll need a separate way to set the enemy on fire.

But in xanathars it says you can craft alchemist fire right? Is that not AL legal

Deox

Thought as much. Sadness.

hymer
2018-05-07, 11:19 AM
A warlock, refluffing eldritch blasts (with knockback) as chucking bombs?

strangebloke
There is no AL legal way to do this without refluffing, or playing a very weak character.

Without refluffing, your probably best off looking at a thief who uses fast hands to to throw out acid and fire while stabbing with his action.

With refluffing... I would probably play a sorcerer? Use subtle spell so that you don't have to use components, where relevant? Refluff scorching ray as tossing three flasks of alchemists fire? Acid Arrow is a huge acid bomb on the end of a crossbow bolt? Refluff buffing spelss as pouring a potion down an allies throat?

Dankus Memakus
Although you cant use sneak attack I just read Crawford's tweet about hex...which works with alchemist fire...

DMThac0
2018-05-07, 11:27 AM
Creating molotov cocktails is fairly easy using vials, lantern wicks, and oil. Oil of Slipperiness, vials of acid, poison, or alchemists fire.

There is information in the DMG (pg 267) for explosives and their ilk, I do not recall if that information is AL legal or not...been too long since I DM'd AL.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-07, 11:28 AM
But in xanathars it says you can craft alchemist fire right? Is that not AL legal

It's still too expensive, and you'll need free downtime to craft stuff (I'm not sure about the exact AL rules concerning crafting and downtime in general).

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-07, 11:43 AM
It's still too expensive, and you'll need free downtime to craft stuff (I'm not sure about the exact AL rules concerning crafting and downtime in general).

What about acid? It's cheaper

strangebloke
2018-05-07, 12:02 PM
downtime is like gold, you spend it between sessions. "I spend 1 day earning gold." that kind of thing. Most popular option is to use downtime (and gold) to buy XP (the "catching up" option)

What about acid? It's cheaper
You can do this just fine.

But it's not very cost-effective to spend gold on something you're doing every round, and the acid damage is pretty pitiful. You'll need to refluff a cantrip or something as throwing a magic bomb.

Deox
2018-05-07, 12:11 PM
Thought (again AFB) -

Toss Acid / Fire flask into air (item interaction) + the spell Catapult. Repeat?

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-07, 12:40 PM
Thought (again AFB) -

Toss Acid / Fire flask into air (item interaction) + the spell Catapult. Repeat?

I think this works

Crgaston
2018-05-07, 01:05 PM
The Acid Splash cantrip sounds like it's the closest thing to what you're looking for. Changing Acid Splash to Thunder damage or even nonmagical bludgeoning damage shouldn't break anything, and since it's a cantrip it's available to any class via Magic Initiate using either Int or Cha for your save DC.

or...

Point buy, you could have a Mountain Dwarf with 10/15/16/8/10/15, then...

1.1st Level in Sorcerer (Dragon) for Acid Splash, Create Bonfire, Mold Earth and ??? (I like Message for the throat mic/earbud aesthetic). Ice Knife (you throw it; it explodes) and either Catapult, Thunderwave or Chromatic Orb for your 2 1st level spells.

2. Then go Rogue or Fighter (or both) from there. Even up Dex and Cha with your first ASI.

3. ???

Profit

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-07, 01:11 PM
The Acid Splash cantrip sounds like it's the closest thing to what you're looking for. Changing Acid Splash to Thunder damage or even nonmagical bludgeoning damage shouldn't break anything, and since it's a cantrip it's available to any class via Magic Initiate using either Int or Cha for your save DC.

or...

Point buy, you could have a Mountain Dwarf with 10/15/16/8/10/15, then...

1.1st Level in Sorcerer (Dragon) for Acid Splash, Create Bonfire, Mold Earth and ??? (I like Message for the throat mic/earbud aesthetic). Ice Knife (you throw it; it explodes) and either Catapult, Thunderwave or Chromatic Orb for your 2 1st level spells.

2. Then go Rogue or Fighter (or both) from there. Even up Dex and Cha with your first ASI.

3. ???

Profit

This sounds really cool but I wanna throw actual things not spells. It may not be doable and I guess that's okay.

Crgaston
2018-05-07, 01:25 PM
This sounds really cool but I wanna throw actual things not spells. It may not be doable and I guess that's okay.

Yeah, I hear you. The problem is cost.

With Acid Splash and Ice Knife, though, you ARE throwing actual things per the spell description.

AS: "You hurl a bubble of acid. Choose one creature within range, or choose two creatures within range that are within 5 feet of each other. A target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 acid damage. This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6)."

IK: "You create a shard of ice and fling it at one creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 piercing damage. Hit or miss, the shard then explodes. The target and each creature within 5 feet of it must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage."

Maybe you could talk to your DM about Refluffing Magic Initiate as Grenade Crafting Initiate and use the stats from Acid Splash and Ice Knife?