PDA

View Full Version : Villain Weaknesses

Wampyr
2018-05-07, 11:35 AM
I find the Villain Weaknesses section in the DMG lacking. What are some villain weaknesses from your games?

DMThac0
2018-05-07, 11:50 AM
Some of the best weaknesses that make a good villain are character flaws.

Ego/Pride: The villain believes they are better than the character/authority/gods/universe. Their ego gets them in trouble when it's challenged and used against them.

Greed: The villain cannot stop from obtaining all of the things. When the players find out what this thing is they can use it to bait the villain, or anticipate the villain's moves.

Soft spot: Some of the greatest moral dilemmas I've had were creating villains that had a soft spot for something. They couldn't harm children, a certain animal, plant, location. The players could use that information in many ways.

Misplaced Honor: There is no honor in battle, but some villains prefer to make an appearance of being omnipotent and lording over their prey. Players who recognize this may find ways to manipulate that.

Overzealous: I had a villain who killed himself in an attempt to beat the players. In doing so the players inadvertently caused the destruction of half a city.

djreynolds
2018-05-07, 10:15 PM
Monologing

sophontteks
2018-05-07, 10:18 PM
Speaks only in rhymes.

Unoriginal
2018-05-08, 02:28 AM
Speaks only in rhymes.

That's more of a weapon.

Dr. Cliché
2018-05-08, 08:40 AM
Friends or family can be interesting. Villains have loved-ones, too.

Red Fel
2018-05-08, 08:42 AM
Speaks only in rhymes.

That's more of a weapon.

"We'll surely avoid scurvy if we eat an orange."

Unoriginal
2018-05-08, 09:21 AM
"We'll surely avoid scurvy if we eat an orange."

"That tired old trick is sure make to me cringe."

""That one was obvious, you blew the open door off its hinge"

"If we were French we'd tell you to stop faire le singe "

"A pirate I was meant to be, trim the sails and roam the sea!"